TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mik at Cornell

Florida Marlins

Guest Mik at Cornell

Now, this might sound a bit crazy at first, but hear me out. The Marlins are on fire. They are 9 over .500 ever since they changed managers and are only a few back in the Wild Card after completing a sweep of the Phillies today.

Things started out not looking so good. Burnett went down for 15-18 months, Beckett went back to the DL, and everyone was wondering WHEN not IF Mike Lowell would be traded. Now, things are much different. Dontrelle-mania is running wild, so much so that ESPN.com is saying he should start the All Star game. Miguel Cabrera (20 years old) has been called up and has been clubbing the ball (4 HR already). Beckett is back from the DL and Lowell is not getting traded this year.

Add to that, Peter Gammons has in todays Diamond Notes that the Marlins are willing to aquire talent at the trading deadline if they are still in contention and I believe they have a very real shot at the postseason.

And as for Dontrelle, all I can say is the kid is amazing. Not only is he fun to watch, but he has MORE people watching. His start against the Braves on Wednesday drew a 5.4 rating, which EQUALED Game 7 against the Indians in 97, and he drew 35,000 to his start, 20,000 more than average. If the city gets behind the team, and they get motivated... look out.

Guest treble charged

God, if the Marlins make the playoffs and make a winner out of Jeffrey Loria... well, then God must have a sick sense of humour, especially since the Expos are very much in the thick of the Wild Card chase.

Guest kkktookmybabyaway

Anything's possible -- hell, the Marlins might get more than 12 people to fill those outfield seats if they are in the playoff hunt come September...

Guest Crazy Dan

I think the Marlins could be a very good team... but they are still a year away, barring if the ownership doesn't trade anything that might require them to actually spend money. Willis is something special, so far. I like the kid's attitude. We could be looking at the start of a great career, or he could end up like Livian Hernandez, who was awesome his rookie year. And then Livian started to digress every year afterward. But, I am pulling for Willis to get better.

And speaking of having a break out year, is Mike Lowell. This was the heavy trade topic for a good part of the MLB season. If I am in that management, I would hold onto this guy, for sure. But, you never know with Marlins.

So the Marlins have two great young player playing for them. But, I feel that they are on a hot streak at the moment, and will not be able to hang, eventully losing out to the Braves in the East, and then losing the Wild Card, to either the Dodgers (who have the best pitching staff in MLB. This is a team which if they have a lead, they normally can shut the other tema's down. But what hurts the Dodgers the most is that their ooffense is horrible. Shawn Green is MIA. You must score runs, or your great pitching is rendered moot.

Also, throw in the Giants. The Giants this year are winning games that they get out-hit. And for the first time I can remember, Jason Schmidt is a bonafide ace of the Giant's staff. This guy throws nasty stuff, and took it a little old school, by going the distance three games in a row, against the Dogers twice and against the Cardinals, all teams that are in the playoff hunt). Felipe Alou is a good manager and mixes things up. The Giants also now have a bench player who can get clutch hits in The Big Cat. They are the defending NL Champ and have the most feared player in Barry Bonds.

The Diamondbacks are the team to watch in the secong half with the return of Schilling and Johnson and the rest of the "walking wounded" returns.

These are all three good teams, with experience, which should be contending for the West and Wildcard.

The Marlins show promise, but don't have enough to take them to the postseason. Also, throw in the numerous NL Central teams, and East, and it is not going to be easy.

Guest Vern Gagne

McKeon will overwork all the young arms and the Marlins will be fad by September.

Guest Mik at Cornell

After a sweep of the Phils today, the Marlins are two back of the Wild Card and 7 games over .500. They are about to begin a 3 game set with the D-Backs, if they win the series they will most likely overtake the Phils and definitely overtake the D-Backs (who are currently one game back)

I believe!!

Guest MaxPower27

They are very hot right now, but we'll see how well they play when they cool off a bit.

I think that if Arizona fades, Florida will take it. I can't really see the Phillies making it (sorry al)

Guest alkeiper

It's ok. I have confidence in my team. Burrell might just come around yet. No one's playing over their head, so I don't think a decline is likely. We just can't seem to handle the Marlins lately.

Guest alkeiper

It's ok. I have confidence in my team. Burrell might just come around yet. No one's playing over their head, so I don't think a decline is likely. We just can't seem to handle the Marlins lately.

Guest MaxPower27

Pretty good series this weekend too.

I don't hate the Phillies, but it seems that they just aren't playing well enough lately to deserve a playoff spot. If they can pick it up, I'll root for them. I actually like the Phillies, but I like the Marlins more.

Guest alkeiper

They had a bad series. They looked terrific the previous series against the Cubs.

Guest treble charged

Go Expos! Of course, of the 3 games they played against the Braves this weekend (so far), I have to go to the one that their asses completely kicked and don't come back to win it.

And if the Marlins make the playoffs, life is not fair.

Guest Mik at Cornell

1 game back after the D-Train mowed down the Cards tonight. Swept the Phils, Swept the D-Backs, taken the first two against the Cards.

The Marlins are for real folks.

Guest the pinjockey

I will buy the Marlins when they lock the wild card spot up. Until then I don't buy it. They have hadd a hot streak, and are an underdog so they get played up a lot on TV. The hitters have been playing over their heads all year and I want to see Willis go through the league again before buying into him. Let people adjust to his gimmick then we shall see, lest we forget K-Rod he comes in and dominates the postseason, gets studied in the offseason, then blew for a good chunk of the season prior to the all-star game. Most pitchers will go through an adjustment period.

The only problem is the schedule for the Phils. Playing 19 of the next 25 on the road won't help matters.

Guest Anglesault

Nah.

Teams that are "for real" win the division, not the consolation prize.

Guest Mik at Cornell

1997 Marlins won the wild card, won the World Series.

Last years World Series alone was with two wild card teams.

Guest bob_barron
1997 Marlins won the wild card, won the World Series.

Stupid Livian Hernandez...

Guest the pinjockey

Yeah I wouldn't say that wild card teams aren't for real. Especially these two. They are playing in one of the toughest divisions I ever remember seeing and are trying to become the first team to ever win the wild card playing in a division with 4 .500 teams.

If you make the playoffs from the NL East this year you are for real.

Guest Choken One

Nah.

*Ahem*

Anaheim Angels

S.F Giants

New York Mets

Florida Marlins

Guest Anglesault

Nah.

*Ahem*

Anaheim Angels

S.F Giants

New York Mets

Florida Marlins

The Mets and the Giants lost.

(And of course, barring miracle, the Angels have proven to be total flukes. But that's not the point.)

I've just never been impressed with the Wild Card, and most likely never will be. I think it's stupid as fuck. The only time I'd care if the best and second best team in the league was in the same division.

On a side and totally unrelated note, what happened to the Marlins after 97 was a fucking travesty.

This thread needs to be resurrected, because the Marlins are winning the fucking wild card. I was just dreaming as a fan of the team when I first posted this, but after tonight's come from behind against all odds win over the Braves in the 9th moving the Marlins 1.5 up on the Phils... I don't doubt it for a second.

Phillies fans just need to realize that they gave it a good shot and sign a few more free agents.