TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Youth N Asia

Books are getting way too expensive

Guest Youth N Asia

I was at Borders today and they re-issued the Stephen King Dark Towers books. They have them in hardback form which they didn't before. Book 1 was $25 and it's barely 200 pages, while book 4 is $40!

And the newest edition of The Stand in paperback is $8.50. Books are going up too fast. And the book industry and movie industry kinda work together keeping their prices the same, it's how it's always been done. And I hate the idea of movies going up even more in the theater.

Does anyone pat retail for books anymore?

Guest SweetNSexyDiva

I usually buy books from the bargain section of Borders. Books that are $25 and more are usually on sale for $6.99 or something. I bought "The Switch" by Sandra Brown for $5.99 in hardback and it was something like $25.99 originally. As well as "Chosen Prey" by John Sandford for the same price. I also find lots of great books at used book stores.

Guest MrRant

I buy really only paper backs and 6-7 dollars seems to be the norm and isn't really that bad IMO.

Guest starvenger
I buy really only paper backs and 6-7 dollars seems to be the norm and isn't really that bad IMO.

Still, they're kinda pricey if you're on a budget, which is why I'm starting to hit the library more...

Guest MrRant

Used book stores are a good place to pick up books. Probably only paying 50% of the cover price.

Guest Youth N Asia

I work in a used book store, so maybe I'm just use to decient prices.

I don't know if the DT books have new stuff in them or not. The first book is still way small. And I'm not even going to bother reading the series AGAIN till it's all wrapped up.

Guest Steviekick

Amazon.com or Bn.com usually has some good stuff cheap, but books can be too expensive. 85% books I read come from the library because of the cost, and some things I really don't need to have sitting around collecting dust.

Guest J*ingus

I worked at a bookstore for a while a couple of years ago, and I strongly agree: books are way too damned expensive these days. $8 for paperback? $30 or more for hardcover? What a fucking ripoff.

One major reason that publishers are hiking the prices like this, I think, is simply because they can, and the customers can't do anything about it. Unlike movies or music, you can't really download a book off Kazaa. And even if you could, well really, who wants to spend the time, effort, and money to read the latest bestseller in the form of 300 pages of computer printouts, or even worse, kill their eyes by reading the whole thing on the screen?

Guest nl5xsk1

I don't know if it's just my views on expensive are whacked compared to other peoples, but I have no issues with paying $12-$15 for a paperback. People pay that much for a cd or dvd, so why worry about paying that for a book?

Having said that, I tend to shop at the used book store near my old apartment whenever possible. If I can score a good book cheap, I won't complain.

Guest Kahran Ramsus

Wait until you get into university and have to pay $150 for a textbook.

Guest Bruiser Chong

I've noticed this for quite some time as well, and honestly, it's not new, it's been going on for years now. Although it seems like the solution for many other things, I'd suggest looking on eBay for books as they really sell for low prices around there and not just the "crap" books, either.

Guest starvenger
Wait until you get into university and have to pay $150 for a textbook.

Yeah, I'm glad I don't have to worry about that anymore. Now I just have to worry about expensive computer books...

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

I buy the 007 books in paperback:

$13.50! What the fuck?

Guest Vyce

It's to the point that I rarely every buy books anymore, except at used book stores.

I'll usually just pick up whatever book I want to read at the library, and if I decide afterwards it's something I want, than I try to find it used. Rarely do I buy new anymore.

Guest starvenger

$13.50! What the fuck?

Are these for "new" novels or the original Ian Fleming ones? Because the originals are about 200 pages max...

Guest SweetNSexyDiva

Yeah, at used book stores paperbacks are so cheap compared to big stores like Barnes and Noble! I bought a bunch for $2.50 each one day. Another great place... believe it or not, is a local thrift store. I haven't really found any at the Salvation Army or Goodwill, but there was a thrift store for a local church and they had some amazing books for 25 cents a piece!

I do go to the library, but I always hate to return books. I get too attached, lol. Moving for us is a bitch because I have about 10 boxes of books!

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

$13.50! What the fuck?

Are these for "new" novels or the original Ian Fleming ones? Because the originals are about 200 pages max...

Ian Fleming. And the originals are only 230 MAX. I read FRWL in three hours.