TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Feedback for Tom's LXG Review

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
...Invisible Man Rodney Skinner (Tony Curran), whose name was changed because the Jules Verne estate wanted nothing to do with this clunker...

1. H.G. Wells wrote The Invisible Man

2. Universal (the owners of the film rights) refused to give the rights because a rival studio was making the piece; not because of the film's qulaity.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Oh and Nemo was always Hindu. The Hollywood movies fucked it up. In Verne's books he was Hindu.

Please do the research next time.

Guest evenflowDDT

I just read Tom's review and...

Oh HELLLLLLLLLLLL NO~!

You write a review saying you liked T3, and have the gall to say this is trash? I saw LXG this weekend, and I enjoyed it a lot. Since you re-reviewed T3, maybe I should put on my "holy shit, Ed's actually going to write a column" cap and we can play duelling reviewers again.

Anyone interested? If not, I can just finally finish my I Spit On Your Grave column (oh, and catch up on a weekend's worth of chores). I mean, it's far from the first time Tom and I have had different opinions :P

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Hey, I LOVED T3.

I guess Tom wasn't FEELING IT~! this time because three research errors in the first few paragraphs is AICN level bad.

Guest the 1inch punch

What were the two "iconic" roles that Connery turned down

If one of them was LOTR, then youre wrong, because he was never offered Gandalf...i think

It was assumed he'd get the role though

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

If one of them was LOTR, then youre wrong, because he was never offered Gandalf...i think

It was assumed he'd get the role though

Connery himself said he turned down LOTR and The Matrix (Twice for The Matrix) he did not specify parts.

Guest the 1inch punch

uh...ok......

Connery in the Matrix???

Interestingly Val Kilmer was offered Morpheus

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I've always thought that Dr. Tom has the worst taste in movies of anybody I've ever seen.

Which is why I am always amused that he's our resident film reviewer.

With the exception of the David Gale movie...I don't agree with anything he says.

Guest MrRant

Tom is going to ban you all.

He gets really pissy when you don't agree with him.

Guest Crucifixio Jones

Man, I've never seen this many folks come out in opposition of the Great Dr. Tom. I concur with everyone who says that they tend to disagree with his reviews, especially this latest one. Zsasz has already done a great job in pointing out his lack of attention to detail so no need to go on about that.

I've already taken Tom to task on many occasions in private about what he likes and what he doesn't like, so it is indeed refreshing to see folks with the same opinion (and nearly everyone who has, I at least respect their taste in movies even if I don't like them as posters) do it publicly. Kudos, gentlemen.

For the most part, I tend to agree with Tom's reviews.

Ed...sorry, but you were dead wrong about T3 completely. I've seen it twice already.

Dames

Guest DrTom

Zsasz:

1. H.G. Wells wrote The Invisible Man

My bad, will be changed. I don't know why I typed Verne, since I own the bloody book.

2. Universal (the owners of the film rights) refused to give the rights because a rival studio was making the piece; not because of the film's qulaity.

That was me being facetious. I considered adding in a qualifier to make it sound less like a statement of fact, but I figured people would pick up the inherent sarcasm. I guess not.

Ed:

You write a review saying you liked T3, and have the gall to say this is trash?

You betcha. T3 was a solid movie; LXG was garbage. My opinions, of course, but I stand by them.

Since you re-reviewed T3, maybe I should put on my "holy shit, Ed's actually going to write a column" cap and we can play duelling reviewers again.

If you want; I'm certainly not going to stop you. I didn't see my T3 review as some kind of duelling reviewers piece, though, since I linked to yours at the beginning, and because (as the "movie guy") I'll review any movie I see.

1inch:

Gandalf and Morpheus, both supposedly because he "didn't understand" the roles. I can't see him doing the physicality that the Morpheus role would require (come on, he's 73), but it would be really cool to hear him deliver some of the character's memorable lines. As for Gandalf, I can't see anyone by McKellan in the role now. Not that I don't think Connery could pull it off, but McKellan brings something completely different to the table, and I think it's worked very well in both movies to date.

I've always thought that Dr. Tom has the worst taste in movies of anybody I've ever seen.

Which is why I am always amused that he's our resident film reviewer.

With the exception of the David Gale movie...I don't agree with anything he says.

That's why reviews are ultimately just opinion pieces.

I also write for an audience of more than one person (I hope...), so I expect some agreement and some disagreement.

Shouldn't paragraphs be more than one sentence long?

I thought I remembered learning that in school.

Maybe my memory's just getting fuzzy.

It HAS been a while since I've taken a grammar course, after all.

Yes, I'm fucking with you. :P

Rant:

Tom is going to ban you all.

No, just you.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

You forgot to address the Nemo thing Tom.

Attention to detail... it will kill you every time.

Guest Burning Hammer

This has to be one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Seriously. The dialogue was terrible, the acting was pretty bad, the characters were just foolishly put together and as a Lit guy London looked way too fucking clean for the turn of the century. Sorry that last part was just me nitpicking.

Not to mention huge gaping storyline holes much like those in Nemo's ship that somehow got fixed very quickly. Theterrible foreshadowing between Sawyer and Quartermine that basically laid the rest of the movie at your feat so you could work in an 8 dollar nap.

Nobody here has mentioned the incredibly awfull ending to the movie. The lightning, the sand, the shaman? I mean COME ON did anybody else find this incredibly ridiculous?

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
This has to be one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Seriously. The dialogue was terrible, the acting was pretty bad, the characters were just foolishly put together and as a Lit guy London looked way too fucking clean for the turn of the century. Sorry that last part was just me nitpicking.

Not to mention huge gaping storyline holes much like those in Nemo's ship that somehow got fixed very quickly. Theterrible foreshadowing between Sawyer and Quartermine that basically laid the rest of the movie at your feat so you could work in an 8 dollar nap.

Nobody here has mentioned the incredibly awfull ending to the movie. The lightning, the sand, the shaman? I mean COME ON did anybody else find this incredibly ridiculous?

Next time could you review this movie in a manner that doesn't make me hate you?

Please?

Guest Burning Hammer

I wouldn't call that an actuall movie review I was just giving my opinion on the general discussion of the movie.

Hard to believe one can hate someone else from a single post on a message board.

Guest evenflowDDT
Since you re-reviewed T3, maybe I should put on my "holy shit, Ed's actually going to write a column" cap and we can play duelling reviewers again.

If you want; I'm certainly not going to stop you. I didn't see my T3 review as some kind of duelling reviewers piece, though, since I linked to yours at the beginning, and because (as the "movie guy") I'll review any movie I see.

That's not fair, even though you don't do it anymore, you're still "the Smackdown! guy"! I wanna be "the movie guy"! Waaaaa!

Oh well, at least I can still be "the bad/cult movie guy". You can't take that away from me! ;)

Guest DrTom

JHawk is "the Smackdown! guy" now; I willfully abdicated that throne at the end of May and he's perched himself on it nicely. I'm still "the Movie guy" and "the very occasional news/opinion piece guy," and I might be "the weekly football column if he can find time around school guy."

Oh well, at least I can still be "the bad/cult movie guy". You can't take that away from me! ;)

Nor would I want to, Ed. ;)

Guest Crucifixio Jones

I'll give it to Tom; he's the "movie" guy.

And Evenflow, you are indeed the bad/cult movie guy.

But there's only one "film" guy writing for TSM sporadically and I think we all know who he is.

Guest Crucifixio Jones

OF COURSE, because that Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle review was QUALITY.

Guest Bruiser Chong

Indeed.

*waits for post by someone who can't tell when someone's being facetious*

Guest J*ingus

. . .

Goddamn it all, do I have to start writing movie reviews to show you all how to really do it?

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

As someone who has written movie reviews for a legit film website. I think *I* should be doing it instead of the amateurs you have now.

Guest bob_barron

As someone who has written movie reviews for newspapers I think *I* should be doing it instead of the amateurs you have now.

Guest Bruiser Chong

As someone who has written movie reviews on toilet paper in green crayon in the dark for no one, I think *I* should be the first person not to put myself over for a spot as a movie reviewer on the site.

Guest TheGame2705
As someone who has written movie reviews on toilet paper in green crayon in the dark for no one, I think *I* should be the first person not to put myself over for a spot as a movie reviewer on the site.

First time you made me chuckle. That was pure evil.

Guest Crucifixio Jones

Personally, I think Barron as a movie reviewer here would be good for a laugh. It certainly can't be any worse than anyone else who has scribbled down a movie or tape review for the main page. I'm down for a chuckle. SIGN HIM UP, DAMES!

And btw, "Highlites" is not a real newspaper, Bob.

On a serious note, I'd be all for Zsasz joining the "staff."