TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

The matrix

Why does every fucking movie copy The Matrix?  In The One with Jet Li, they do the slow motion bullets of doom and in Resident Evil they do the slow motion kick of extreme awkwardness, and those are just two examples of endless carbon copies I've seen in about every action or sci-fi movie released since The Matrix.  I thought it might be just tributes or something like that but shit you'd think they'd get the hint by now.

Guest areacode212

I love the way the parodied the exact same phenomenon you mentioned, in Shrek. That got a good laugh out of me.

Guest El Satanico

Well isn't the "Matrix style" a rip off of stuff they've been doing in Japanese action movies for years? Well i know i've seen the slo mo action scenes in older Japan movies but not sure if they did stuff like that "bullet time" stuff that Matrix uses.

Alot of mainstream movies with action scenes seem to get caught up into a new action scene trend whenever a popular movie uses something "new".

Satanico hit it on the head. The Matrix caught people's attention. It was a phenomenon when it came out. It's a franchise now. Hence, everyone wants to elicit those responses with their action scenes. And, of course, they all look derivative for it. I can handle it in small doses (didn't mind the slow mo bits in X-Men, but that movie had to personally insult me in the dialogue for me to not love it), but it is getting old.

Guest Karnage

The Matrix is such an over-rated movie. I can't understand why so much people like it.

no man its not overrated, it kind of overplayed itself, but when I saw it in the theaters, it was the shit.  And was still the shit for antoher 20 viewings on dvd.  But now its time to rest it for a few years, thats all

--Rob

Guest teke184

I agree with it being overplayed.  I know that when T2 came out, I saw it PLENTY of times between the theaters and VHS within about 2 years.  Then I went about 7 years where I only watched it once (rented the Director's Cut from Blockbuster) because I was so damn sick of it.

Thankfully, I haven't overplayed Matrix, as I'm waiting for Matrix 2 and Matrix 3 to do that.

Guest Maurizio C... Version 2

matrix is a damn good movie, but I think the final scene when Neo dies and Trinity (my sig!) saves him is a bit too *titanic-ish* for my taste. what was the point of thewhole movie if neo is not supposed to die when shot?

Guest J*ingus

"I-love-you-Neo!" is the slang term among my friends for any time in a movie where the hero and the girl fall in love with each other because the plot requires them to, since The Matrix might be the most blatant example of it that I've ever seen.  I mean, they could've mentioned even ONE reason why she likes him, but they never even think that far.

Guest razazteca

After the Matrix became a profitable franchise the fight director became a popular guy to work with.  It looks like Yuen Woo Ping's wire-fu style is here to stay, action fight now must have people jumping off walls doing spin kicks.

Undeclared tribute to the Matrix was funny :D