TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Choken One

Network Deal

Guest Choken One

What do you believe are the chances of TNA reaching a Network deal?

Can you see USA or FX or Oxygen (don't laugh) Or Showtime or HBO or some other network obtaining TNA for a slot?

I doubt they could get a 9-11 slot on USA/FX on Primetime but perhaps an 11 P.M slot or something...

Guest Insane Bump Machine

Not as long as WWE gets ratings in the 3's. If WWE would still get 5.0 ratings for RAW and Smackdown I could definitely see a TNA network show in the near future.

Guest Choken One

Yeah...If ECW an established and popular organzation couldn't get a good spot and good ratings during wrestling's B0OM...

How can you expect TNA to even touch HALF of those 1.3 ratings?

Guest CoreyLazarus416

Not immediately, no.

And there were other factors contributing to ECW getting the shaft. One of which was TNN's unwilling-to-cooperate attitude towards the promotion.

Guest bravesfan
Not immediately, no.

And there were other factors contributing to ECW getting the shaft. One of which was TNN's unwilling-to-cooperate attitude towards the promotion.

...it didn't help that the ECW had a bush-league production team, which was one of TNN's gripes with the company.

TNA already trounces them in that aspect.

Guest Youth N Asia

I dunno if it's going to happen. I don't see another network picking up wrestling any time soon.

Guest Dangerous A

Wrestling is going to have to catch fire again for another network to pick up a TNA, MLW, or ROH.

It is all going to predicate on what WWE does since they are the only game in town. When that game starts doing well, then I could see a network looking into competition or an alternative to the WWE. If WWE isn't hot, like they are right now, what is a network's motivation for putting money behind a something that is the same as WWE, without the name brand recoginition?

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Like everyone has said, TNA has zero chance until WWE get's back into the high ratings.

That being said...I still say TNA would fit perfectly into the FX lineup from 8-10.

Guest shlidgn90

ring of honor will never get a deal. they only market to around 30,000 fans tops. same with mlw.

Guest nWoScorpion

MLW has a Television Deal. I watch it every week. (Cheaper than buying the DVDs I guess)

Didn't they just expand to different markets out as far as Texas?

Which reminds me, speaking of MLW, my sig banner is WAY out of date.

Guest eirejmcmahon
ring of honor will never get a deal. they only market to around 30,000 fans tops. same with mlw.

I don't think NWATNA have topped 20,000 buys yet, have they ?

For everyone's information, MLW has a TV deal with Sunshine TV out in Florida. They aren't HBO, but it works. DirecTV and Dish Network picks up MLW and a few channels in Texas. So thats some 3 million people or something, I dunno. So TNA DOES have a chance to get a TV deal. But maybe they dont have one because Russo is with them. Im sure every channel has a sports division and someone watches some kind of wrestling and once Russo says "I helped the WWF in 1998" someone might also say "But didn't you help kill WCW in 2000?" And BOOM, a lost TV deal. Its a scenario, but a likely one at that.

Fucking Houston, 3rd largest city in the US and we dont get either TNA or MLW.

Guest The Czech Republic
Fucking Houston, 3rd largest city in the US

When did you pass Chicago?

I don't think NWATNA have topped 20,000 buys yet, have they ?

I think Jarrett vs. Raven did. Otherwise, nope.

Guest The Czech Republic
Last year :unsure:

Last I checked we're still like 300,000 or so ahead of Houston

Guest nWoScorpion

Raven/Jarrett TNA probably shattered the 20,000, but do they even release the numbers?

That was SO Awesome, too bad Raven's contract fucked the ending up.

Guest shlidgn90

sunshine network is not an national station. what any company wants is an national deal where they are played in the entire country. roh will never get to that point because they are nothing more than a northeast indy. i dont think they even want to really expand into other reigons(they make money off tape sales, not shows). tna has the same problem as roh, although they have had some mainstream press, they only run nashville and don't really do alot of advertising outside of that area. i live in memphis, and there aren't local radio ads here. plus, due to the fact that in tna's one year of existance. there have been numerous reports of behavior that most executives would deem offensive(like the lollipop breast exposure). mlw has only ran less than ten shows and their top stars all work in all japan. they aren't even worth mentioning.

now for any one of these companies to at least get an lower rung national network deal. following ecw's way(although unsucessful in the long run), would be the only way an non-wwe company would even have an chance. the way to this would be:

1. have an company that brings something different to the table(both tna and roh have that)

2. have unique angles and gimmicks that creates an hardcore fanbase(both tna and roh have)

3. create new stars (tna has amw and aj styles, roh has am. dragon)

4. recreate old stars and give them unique gimmicks(niether tna nor roh have this YET).

5. have an homebase that are as rabid as the old ecw mutants. this means an fanbase so dedicated, that they will go to an wwe show in that companies territory, and shill the hell out of their fed.

even after all of this, wait five years and hope that maybe, you can get a deal.

Guest shlidgn90

raven's recreated his own gimmick. it wasn't anything like the transformation from scotty flamingo to raven. glen gilbertti didn't change his gimmick, he just altered it a little, which didn't help.

if you want an example of creating new characters look at taz, tommy dreamer and the sandman careers before ecw. before taz arrived in ecw, he had an jheri curl and had an jungle gimmick. sandman was an surfer before he joined ecw and tommy dreamer went as t.d. madison and was an fabolous one knockoff. if roh or tna can come up with new gimmicks like the aforementioned three, then they are going to go places.

Disco was a man stuck in the 70s or someone imitating pop culture. Now he is a figure head of some sort. We dont even know what the fuck Raven was in the WWF, now we do, although I still dont know what the fuck he is. And TNA has made stars out of Tennesee locals America's Most Wanted and they are now called one of the best, if not the best tag team in North America.

Guest shlidgn90

they are not gimmicks that will create new fans. the average fan will not go out of their way to see a tag team of an cowboy and chris harris wrestle no matter how good the match. also an average fan will not pay to see glen gilberti doing an serious gimmick. the raven gimmick, although modified and still effective, isn't going to create any fans because it's still raven. now in ecw, the gimmick was something brand new. and people would go out their way to see an grundge singer type who looked like came fresh from mtv to wrestle. taz was similiar, because he wouldn't look out of place in the ufc, wwf, or wcw.

Guest Choken One
sunshine network is not an national station. what any company wants is an national deal where they are played in the entire country. roh will never get to that point because they are nothing more than a northeast indy. i dont think they even want to really expand into other reigons(they make money off tape sales, not shows). tna has the same problem as roh, although they have had some mainstream press, they only run nashville and don't really do alot of advertising outside of that area. i live in memphis, and there aren't local radio ads here. plus, due to the fact that in tna's one year of existance. there have been numerous reports of behavior that most executives would deem offensive(like the lollipop breast exposure). mlw has only ran less than ten shows and their top stars all work in all japan. they aren't even worth mentioning.

now for any one of these companies to at least get an lower rung national network deal. following ecw's way(although unsucessful in the long run), would be the only way an non-wwe company would even have an chance. the way to this would be:

1. have an company that brings something different to the table(both tna and roh have that)

2. have unique angles and gimmicks that creates an hardcore fanbase(both tna and roh have)

3. create new stars (tna has amw and aj styles, roh has am. dragon)

4. recreate old stars and give them unique gimmicks(niether tna nor roh have this YET).

5. have an homebase that are as rabid as the old ecw mutants. this means an fanbase so dedicated, that they will go to an wwe show in that companies territory, and shill the hell out of their fed.

even after all of this, wait five years and hope that maybe, you can get a deal.

Thought dragon signed with WWE?

Guest DRAWMUH!

dragon was under a devolpmental deal around the same time reckless youth and spanky were. (i'm sure the 3 had deals...i know reckles did at least) but they were all cut or the contract ran out and one or both sides decided not to re new it.

Hey syxx, I'm in Houston too!

Good thing TNA has the business sense to wait for a good deal, however long it may be. I don't wanna wait until midnight or something on some crappy station everyweek.

Guest Choken One
I think you're thinking of Paul London Choken

Does it matter?

They are all the same damn flippery floppers.

Guest Choken One
Hey syxx, I'm in Houston too!

Good thing TNA has the business sense to wait for a good deal, however long it may be. I don't wanna wait until midnight or something on some crappy station everyweek.

Stop right there chief...

They hired Vince Russo.