TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest welshjerichomark

English Football

Guest frowned

what are peoples views on the quality of the First division this season? Due to residing in Germany I've caught like 2 games this season when I returned home each time, but people have been really giving me mixed reviews on it - although both sides have been somewhat biased either for or against my team. Do the top two deserve to be where they are? Has the general quality been lacking this season? How do you think the promo-ees (whoever they may be) will fare when they get to the premiership? How do you see the top 6 / bottom 3 lining up?

Norwich have been outstanding this season, they beat us i think 4-1 at Derby, and we were good for a point as well. Likewise, we've been poor and we deserve to be where we are. Forest not winning a game for months on end... they deserve to be down there too.

It's an understatement to say it's better quality than the same league just three years ago. Each team seems to have at LEAST three premiership quality players.

I don't think Norwich or West Brom would stand much chance of staying up next season with their current squads. WBA haven't changed their style of play much this season and they still don't look to have the quality to survive in the premier, the gap is getting bigger all the time and as far as Megson's team is concerned they seem to have stood still instead of moving forward = that they still find themselves comfortably heading for automatic promotion is evidence that Div 1 hasn't made any significant strides forward quality wise in recent seasons, I think its possibly getting worse. I agree there's plenty of excellent players but there's definately no one team that stands out as a class outfit IMO. Horsefield, Garrdsoe etc have been solid additions but there's too many players who weren't good enough for the top level the first time round and wont be again, survival by the skin of their teeth is the most optimistic I can be about them, I think they'll put up a better fight than last time however.

I've seen less of Norwich but certainly enough to give them the same odds as WBA. Fact is that darren Huckerby can't win games on his own at premiership level, the midfield always looks quite neat and tidy but these are still players that haven't attracted a stampede of offers from premiership clubs. Got a feeling they won't get any joy at all away from home in the premier, there just doesn't look much steel there . I get the feeling they might be brushed aside easily too often in the premier where WBA will make teams scrap to take points off them, i could be wrong but we'll just have to wait and see.

*Fingers crossed they'll be playing Leicester next season*

Guest frowned
Fact is that darren Huckerby can't win games on his own at premiership level.

hehe - unfortunate but true.

From the reports I've read, up until the past couple of games our defence has been rock solid and the keeper has been tipped for England by so many people now it's beyond belief (although I've heard that of 3 or 4 Div 1 keepers). And the Midfield has a lot of depth in it (cept a slightly weak right wing).

I think we'll have one big problem in the premiership as we stand and that's severe lack of experience, we have a lot of promising youngsters there who are still only now finding their feet at Div 1 level and could struggle lots against even mid table prem opposition. But Delia's already indicated that there could be more money to come if we do get promoted and Worthington's always been a solid buyer of players, our entire season has rested on how he's built the squad previously and those beautiful loan signings when we were proper up the creek at the beginning of the season.

But yeah - who knows...? we're not even promoted yet.

the play-off winner I'd like to see it going to either Wigan or Sunderland (well really any team who isn't Sheffield United - INCLUDING Ipswich, after all we might even get a televised derby for once), and I reckon Sunderland are the realistic choice despite the lottery-like nature of the play-offs.

I fancy Sunderland as well, i'd like to see them go up as they're a well supported club and i've got time for Mick McCarthy, he's the exact same character Peter Reid is and he did brilliant for them.

fucking linesman

no fucking idea, unbelievable. i was standing RIGHT BEHIND HIM and if anything johnno was backing in to the defender. how the hell he was offside is totally beyond me.

:firing:

I feel so sorry for Wimbledon, if they had managed to keep players like Connolly,Shipperly,McAnuff,Reo-Coker and Kelvin Davis at the club then they would have been in the top 10 instead of being Relegated in about 2-3 games.The bloke who's just bought the club is an idiot, why buy them now when he could have done it in the summer and had a good young team that would challenge for the Play Offs.

I feel so sorry for Wimbledon, if they had managed to keep players like Connolly,Shipperly,McAnuff,Reo-Coker and Kelvin Davis at the club then they would have been in the top 10 instead of being Relegated in about 2-3 games.The bloke who's just bought the club is an idiot, why buy them now when he could have done it in the summer and had a good young team that would challenge for the Play Offs.

Well if we'd been able to keep players like Stern John, Jermaine Jenas, David Prutton, Andy Johnson, Alan Rogers, Chris Bart-Williams, Riccardo Scimeca, Ben Olsen etc etc then we'd be in the Premier League.

I'm sure Franchise could say the same for the sheep.

Talking of which i'm off to Gay Pride Park to watch the lads send the sheepshaggers down into oblivion or however it's spelt.

YOU REDS!

Well if we'd been able to keep players like Stern John, Jermaine Jenas, David Prutton, Andy Johnson, Alan Rogers, Chris Bart-Williams, Riccardo Scimeca, Ben Olsen etc etc then we'd be in the Premier League.

Talking of which i'm off to Gay Pride Park to watch the lads send the sheepshaggers down into oblivion or however it's spelt.

YOU REDS!

Fuck you Morry, we've got it tied up today, watch and learn, the forest shite - 4-0 to the sheep-shaggers.

*dances in drunken state*

YOU REDS!

FUCKING yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what?

4-2?

what?

:lol:

Enjoy while you can - it'll be the last derby game in a while. After you go down you'll struggle to ever get back up - if in fact you don't go out of business which i would fucking love right now.

And besides, everyone knows Leicester are our main rivals :P

Enjoy while you can - it'll be the last derby game in a while. After you go down you'll struggle to ever get back up - if in fact you don't go out of business which i would fucking love right now.

And besides, everyone knows Leicester are our main rivals :P

lol, fuck you son.

you're right on one count though, this will be the last derby game for a while.

however, i'll just ammend the song we were singing about your version earlier.

He's fat, he's round, he's sending Forestdown, JOE KINNEAR!

Guest jpclemmons
I haven't been in this thread for a while, but I'd just like to say...

COME ON THE RAMS!

:) :lol: :) :D :lol: :D :D :) :D :lol:

You Brits are definitley loyal to your clubs. Even if Derby are in the religation table. In the US, we'd probally will switch to a fashonable side like Chelsea until they start to suck.

Guest jpclemmons
:( The HAmmers got trounced by Millwall 4-1 after we'd created an own goal in the first half. At least we're still in the playoff table.

Here's my predictions for the end of the season.I haven't done Division 3 because apart from seeing Bristol Rovers go down and haven't followed results and form so I don't really know much about the teams there.

Premiership

Winners:Arsenal

Champions League:Chelsea,Manchester United,Newcastle

Relegated:Wolves,Leeds,Leicester

Division 1

Winners:West Brom

Runners Up:Norwich

Play Offs:Sunderland(winners),West Ham,Sheffield United,Millwall

Relegated:Wimbledon,Bradford,Walsall

Division 2

Winners:Plymouth

Runners Up:Bristol City(going up would be great but like last time I fear we'll struggle in first division)

Play Offs:QPR,Swindon(winners),Brighton,Luton

Relegated:Wycombe,Stockport,Brentford,Notts County

FA Cup:Arsenal

Champions League:AC Milan

Euro 2004:Italy

Euro 2004 Golden Boot:Thierry Henry

Edit: I said when Derby got Peschisolido that they'd just signed Sheffield United's best striker and I was right.

Edited by deancoles411

I said when Derby got Peschisolido that they'd just signed Sheffield United's best striker and I was right.

A lot of use he'll be tonight!

Neil Warnock put a no-play clause in his contract when he let him go - so he knew he was letting a good player go.

Oh well, they still got McLeod out of it. *sniggers*

Wasn't McLeod meant to be the next great footballing superstar with the world at his feet - able to play for any team in any league in any postion? Future England captain?

I'm sure that's what we were all told by a Sheep on Century after he made his debut.

Wasn't McLeod meant to be the next great footballing superstar with the world at his feet - able to play for any team in any league in any postion? Future England captain?

I'm sure that's what we were all told by a Sheep on Century after he made his debut.

He was the next 'Wanchope'

Unfortunately, he was as good as Wanchope.

Damn, Barmby's gone back to Leeds....

Apparantly he's been allowed to go back so we're able to bring in two loan players in before the deadline. How Big Fat Joe will be able to get in two players as good as or better than Barmby I've no idea.

Damn, Barmby's gone back to Leeds....

Apparantly he's been allowed to go back so we're able to bring in two loan players in before the deadline. How Big Fat Joe will be able to get in two players as good as or better than Barmby I've no idea.

While you're on the topic of Barmby, when DJ came on as a sub, WHY did he take off Barmby?

The thinking must have been that DJ and Taylor would work better than DJ and Barmby, which I can sort of understand as the main reason Taylor was bought was because DJ said he wanted to play with him.

But why he didn't take off a midfeilder, all of whom where crap on saturday, and just move Barmby back i don't know as that's what I would've done.

Guest jpclemmons
Premiership

Winners:Arsenal

Champions League:Chelsea,Manchester United,Newcastle

Relegated:Wolves,Leeds,Leicester

I agree with the prem winners and religation table. But I think Liverpool will make a good run of form at the end of the year to be in the Champs League.

Division 1

Winners:West Brom

Runners Up:Norwich

Play Offs:Sunderland(winners),West Ham,Sheffield United,Millwall

Relegated:Wimbledon,Bradford,Walsall

I still think Norwich will win Nationwide league crown. And I think the Hammers will win the playoffs with the talent of the other three sides. And I'd put Watford in the religation table.

FA Cup:Arsenal

Champions League:AC Milan

Euro 2004:Italy

Euro 2004 Golden Boot:Thierry Henry

I agree with the first two championships. But I think France has a better side to win the Euro 2004 or Germany .

Watching AC Milan made me glad that Arsenal or Chelsea won't play them until the final if they get through.Can't see Milan getting beat by any team over 2 legs but in a Final anything's possible.