TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest AndrewTS

100 Reasons the GBA > PS2

Guest AndrewTS

Okay, these have been overdone in the WWE thread, but with news of the GBA outselling the PS2 I thought it was appropriate. Personally, I play my GBA way more than the PS2. The PS2 I use mainly to play DVDs. The PS2 has it's share of great games, but not really my type of great games.

I'll begin:

1. The GBA is portable (duh), thus can be played anywhere--home, school, the bathroom, trains, planes, automobiles...

2. The GBA has 3 of the hot new Castlevania games. The PS2 has one coming, but not yet (Not counting the old GB CVs and PS1's SotN).

3. The PS2 has no Metroid games, the GBA has 2: Fusion and the upcoming Zero Mission (GB's Metroid II's kinda blah).

4. Sega publishes for the GBA quite a bit--not as much for PS2 (I still need to get Puyo Pop, but Pinball of the Dead rocks).

5. The GBA has two Fire Pro games released stateside already.

6. There's no GBA version of BMX XXX.

Guest MarvinisaLunatic

7. The GBA is relatively cheap

8. The games are cheap

9. GBA interfaces with the Gamecube

10. Its made by Nintendo

11. Theres a good 14 years of experience in portable gaming built into every GBA.

Guest Downhome

12) The GBA can play imports as-is.

13) You can download any GBA game on your computer in a matter of moments and try them out.

14) The puzzle games rock. Denki Blocks kicks your ass every which way!

15) You can buy various carts which you can store 2-8 or so games to play on your GBA after you download them. That is, if you are into that sort of thing.

16) The GBA library is much larger I believe, GB, GBC, and GBA.

Guest AndrewTS

17. Cartridges last longer and are more durable than CDs or DVDs.

18. GBA has remakes and upgrades of many classic games.

i.e. River City Ransom and Double Dragon are coming to GBA, baby!

19. The GBA keeps 2D gaming alive.

Guest JaKyL25

Getting game-specific here...

20.) You won't find a 2-D platformer as good as Mario Advance 2 & 3 (& 4 when it comes out) on PS2.

21.) Breath of Fire 1 & 2!

22.) The ENTIRE Mother(a.k.a. Earthbound) series coming to GBA, including a new sequel!

Guest JaKyL25

No problem.

Now THREE times...then I gotta bust out with the skull-crackin'.

JaKyL25: Bad Dude. Just like the NES game.

Guest Downhome

24) Kuru Kuru Kururin

25) Ninja Five-0

26) Bruce Lee: Return of the Legend

Guest AndrewTS

27) The E-Reader, although it isn't my thing--nothing like that for PS2.

28) It's available in a wide range of colors!

29) You can play the GBA in bed with headphones without waking up anyone.

30) The Golden Sun series.

31) It's surprisingly durable...I've dropped my GBA on concrete before several times, and it still plays fine. I wouldn't try that with a PS2.

32) For Greek gamers: the GBA is easier to hide.

33) Some stores that normally don't carry games carry GBA games (ie drug stores like CVS).

Guest Lightning Flik

Reason 34) Tales Of Phantasia.

Reason 35) Pendant Of Mana (known as Final Fantasy Adventure, or better known as Seiken Densetsu) to be revived, redone and re-released.

Reason 36) Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

Guest Deviant
13) You can download any GBA game on your computer in a matter of moments and try them out.

Where exactly? That would be pretty sweet and I never download that sort of thing, hence why I'm an uneducated fool on the matter.

Guest AndrewTS

Where exactly? That would be pretty sweet and I never download that sort of thing, hence why I'm an uneducated fool on the matter.

ROM/emu sites. I personally would be interested in this to simply because places that rent GBA games are rare, but I'd like info on this PMed to me (I think it's not really allowed for the info to be posted on the board).

38) Toukon Retsuden Advance

Never heard of it--I'll have to look into it. :)

40) The GBA got its own MP3 player accessory.

41) GBA--clean it by wiping it with your shirt. PS2--expensive lens cleaner kid needed.

Guest Downhome

Pulciaro ROMs

(press->skip intro->games->Emulatori->ENTRA->Accetto->*Click* Nintendo logo->GBA)

As long as the site doesn't get shut down, you'll never need to go anywhere else for GBA, GB, GBC, SNES, Arcade, N64, Sega, etc... ROMs.

It's the best site I've ever found for these ROMs.

When searching for GBA roms, you have to search by number, rather than by title. For the entire list by number, in order to know how to find what you want at Pulciaro, just click here.. When you are on that page click on "Edit" on your web browser, then on "Find (on this page)" to search for the game on that page.

Guest Lightning Flik

Reason 45) Gameplay is more focused on than graphically beauty. Anyone play Unlimited Saga on PS2? Evil game, isn't it? Well, go play something like TO:KoL or even MM:BN3 have more gameplay than US (not to be confused with the country).

Reason 46) Mythri is coming out here soon. Reason enough.

Guest AndrewTS

Flick reminded me--this isn't the same as what he said, but a bit similar:

47) The games aren't loaded with stupid, useless video clips and FMV.

Guest JaKyL25
Reason 36) Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

I'm gonna call you on this one, Flik.

Granted, FFT and FFTA are not going to be the same game, but I wouldn't call the fact that GBA is gonna have FFTA an ADVANTAGE over PS2, since that advantage is nulled by FFT being playable on PS2. I'd say they come to a draw on this point.

Of course, if FFTA comes out and knocks the socks off of it's predecessor, then boo-ya, point for you.

Guest razazteca

48) Its basically a portable SNES + NES + Sega system..........What are you gonna do when nostaglia runs wild on you BROTHA.

Guest Lightning Flik
I'm gonna call you on this one, Flik.

Granted, FFT and FFTA are not going to be the same game, but I wouldn't call the fact that GBA is gonna have FFTA an ADVANTAGE over PS2, since that advantage is nulled by FFT being playable on PS2.  I'd say they come to a draw on this point.

Of course, if FFTA comes out and knocks the socks off of it's predecessor, then boo-ya, point for you.

Um, I was more meaning that it HAD the game and not the PS2. Hence, I'd be more inclined to buy the system for that game.

Flick reminded me--this isn't the same as what he said, but a bit similar:

47)  The games aren't loaded with stupid, useless video clips and FMV.

AH! The time ol' classic of having pointless FMVs like Xenosaga Episode 1. It's just added for filler and never given true use. Nope, I never mentioned that. I meant that the GBA's focus is more on the gameplay within the game as opposed to something like Final Fantasy X-2 which is built on the fact that you play three hot chicks (and not for the gameplay). Stuff like that. Nothing specific like you. Just gameplay > graphics with the GBA.

Reason 49) For at least ever bad game there is three good ones. Oh, and it's Flik. No c.

...surprised no one has asked "what the fuck is Mythri?" yet. Apparently, this board is more in the knowledge of that little game than I thought.

Guest AndrewTS

Mythril is some metal that weapons are made out of in RPGs. Is it derived from folklore or something? Adamant is a legendary metal that is used in RPGs as well a lot (and that's also what Adamantium is based on).

And right, Flik, my bad.

50) Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo is out for GBA, is widely available, and is cheaper brand new than copies of the rare PS1 versions are now.

51) The GBA has first really good DBZ game ever made. The PS2 just has another crappy fighting game version of it.

52) The GBA's RPGs kick it old school, like Golden Sun, Ogre Battle, Lunar Legend, etc.

53) The GBA exclusively features the Mega Man Battle Network series.

Guest razazteca

Mythri is from Final Fantasy Orgins ditto for Adamant.

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo is rare on PS1? I wonder how much my used copy from Blockbluster is worth?

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

It's already been stated...

but the fact that you can download any gba game and see if you like it for free before buying it rocks.

Guest razazteca

54) The games are cheap, they cost less than $30 a cart brand new.

Guest Lightning Flik

This post is going to take this thing off topic for a moment. I apologize ahead of time.

Just so everyone knows I have now posted up a thread called:

Info On GBA's Mythri

It's a pretty detailed thread about Mythri and what it is all about. I'd rather create a new one then spam this thread with info on it, and this thread go into "what the hell ... oh neat" stuff. Anywoo, I guess I should get this thing back on topic.

Reason 55) Many new games come out for it instead of boring sequels.

Ex: MegaMan Zero, Sword of Mana (even though it is a remake of Final Fantasy Adventure it's being hacked so much that in essence it won't be the same game [i refered to the game as Pendant of Mana {long explaination needed for why I said that}]), and Mythri.

Guest AndrewTS
It has Mortal Kombat Advance.

That's a reason?

PS2 has MK: DA, so that doesn't really count.