TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest JangoFett4Hire

Belle and Sebastian

Guest JangoFett4Hire

I'd like to give the band a shot. What would you recommend to a B and S newbie?

Guest godthedog

you should check out the last 2 episodes. i remember those were really cool.

Guest JangoFett4Hire

Bua ha ha ha, sure, right after Davey and Goliath, right?

I meant the Scottish Band that Jack Black pissed all over in Hi-Fi

Guest La Parka Es Mi Papa

I recommend checking out the albums If You're Feeling Sinister, The Boy With The Arab Strap, and Tigermilk.

Guest Kinetic

Right. Tigermilk is a bit more lo-fi (it was recorded as a school project and actually released after If You're Feeling Sinister stateside, even though it was recorded well before it) but I'd certainly give it my nod as the best Belle and Sebastian record. "The State I Am In," the lead track, has some truly gorgeous passages and a fairly engaging narrative and is an excellent introduction to the wit and charm of Stuart Murdoch's lyrics and B&S in general. The rest of the album follows suit, though I'm definitely not going to write up a track-by-track review. You should definitely buy it, is all. If You're Feeling Sinister is definitely a worthy follow-up and expands on their sound with the addition of a cello and variety of other stringed instruments and horns that they'd go on to abuse in subsequent years. It's really the last B&S album that I can wholeheartedly endorse, although if you like the first two, you'll probably enjoy the early EP compilation, Lazy Line Painter Jane. After that, their output gets pretty sketchy.

Guest The Amazing Rando

I agree with Inc on this one...get a knife to your scrotum if you are thinking about trying to listen to them.

Guest Incandenza

They're a good band. Kinetic nailed what anyone interested in them should check out. I was merely suggesting that B & S aren't the most masculine band out there.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Guest The Amazing Rando

sorry... i just don't enjoy them... I don't know why...

maybe i'll just go try and listen to them again.

Guest alkeiper

I love them. They're one of the few bands that create music. I'd recommend trying their albums in order.

Guest Incandenza
I love them. They're one of the few bands that create music.

Oh, come on.

Anyway, I like B&S, but I'd sooner endorse Bedhead, a now defunct Texan quintet that played some of the most beautiful, gentle (though they did crank it up on occasion), well-crafted songs to come out of the indie rock scene over the past decade.

Plus, they released only good-to-great albums (three total) before breaking up. None of the duds Belle & Sebastian after to answer to.