TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Dames

Raw Ripped Apart...

Sadly, The Spoonful of Raw is no more. As much as I love Spoony, he had too many problems getting the column up on time, so I turned to a familiar face....

Loss has decided to write for TSM reviewing Raw every week, so lets kick it off with some feedback baby.

Dames

Guest bob_barron

It was an interesting reading a review of RAW that wasn't in the traditional 'recap' style.

I thought Loss did a good job except I'm used to the traditional style so it was kind of hard to read

Guest Choken One

Yeah...I was lost and I couldn't help but to go....Where the fuck are my snowflakes?

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I assume he'll put up snowflakes when a match warrants a full one.

And since this is RAW that may take a few weeks.

Guest Loss4Words

I would have last week for Jericho/Michaels. If a match goes over 8 minutes, it's probably worth a rating. Otherwise, most of the time, they're going to be under *1/2 anyway, so why bother?

I chalked HBK/Jericho II at ***1/2 by the way after multiple viewings. I had the first match at ***1/2 too, and actually thought this one was better because they expanded on the first match and built counterspots around moves performed in the WM match, but the interference and commercial breaks knocked it down 1/2*.

Guest bob_barron

Book/Steiner v. Test/Christian and the tag title match were both over 8 minutes long.

I thought HBK v. Jericho II was so overrated. The match was dead most of the way through and the interference didn't help

Guest Kotzenjunge

My sole regret (given the circumstances that made the Spoonful late this week) is that I never got to call Vince's outfit "Summer Breeze."

Guest Loss4Words

Well, nothing stood up and shouted "Rate me!", so I didn't rate it, but technically, you're right.

As for Jericho/HBK, Jericho was smarter in this match in that he found a way to keep the Walls intact for the finish and when HBK tried to headscissor him out of the ring he shoved him off and punched him. Confident in his intelligence, he went for a springboard dropkick, when HBK showed equal intelligence and pulled the top rope down. Both had each other well-scouted.

I liked the story of this match better, minus the obvious flaws.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I seemed ot enjoy last weeks match more than the Mania match for some reason too.

Truth be told I was pretty bored for a large portion of the Mania match and it only started getting interesting when Jericho started doing HBK moves since they threw a slight buildup in with Jericho saying he wanted to be Shawn when he was younger.

That was a double edged sword though since Jericho friggin lost to an old timer and the story was such that it clearly demonstrated in every possible way (IE not just the result) that Jericho is no Shawn Micheals.

If anyone can tell me what purpose that served (and if it was to do a TV rematch that HBK would come out the next week and basically void...that would be SOOO Kliq) I'd be interested to here it.

Then again I still don't see the point to the way they booked Taker/Cena to put over that up and comer who's injured every month and also isn't very young nor up and coming.

Guest Choken One

Yeah...L4W spots these Things...Barron thinks every thing with HBK sucks or deserves to suck...

Guest The Superstar

Great article. Your layout is definitely fresh, and I DARESAY~ I enjoy it more.

Guest bob_barron

The Mania match sucked me in from the minute the bell started- It was the match I was most looking forward to and the minute the bell rang my eyes were right on the big screen.

I loved how we actually got to see Shawn WRESTLE a match rather then use tables, chairs, barb wire to pass himself off as good.

The match built to a climax- The pace kept getting faster and faster and pretty soon I was going crazy cheering for Jericho. Sure the finish sucks a HUGE dick but that's three seconds of a 22 minute match.

The rematch didn't have any build going into it which hurt the match. I didn't feel that Y2J needed to beat Shawn here like I did at Wrestlemania. The match was lacking something. I don't know what it was but I just couldn't get into it. Maybe it's because either result wouldn't help anybody but I just couldn't get into it.

The interference also really pissed me off, the commentary didn't help and there was nothing to pop for.

Yes Shawn you can do a kip up- congrats

Guest bob_barron
Yeah...L4W spots these Things...Barron thinks every thing with HBK sucks or deserves to suck...

Choken- I responded to you in the One and Only thread when you made those same allegations but you ignored me. Why start now?

Guest Bruiser Chong

While I wouldn't expect everyone to like a column, I can't believe people are complaining that it didn't have star ratings or was reviewed in the traditional recap style, yet people complain about SK and his writing non-stop. You see, what Loss provided here was FRESH and something different than the typical reviews you usually see. I got tired of seeing a million and one SK wannabe reviews, so something like this that actually discusses storylines and their faults or good points is nice to see as opposed to simple star ratings and saying, this match was good because blah blah blah. If you actually had trouble reading the column, something's wrong with you, because for the first time in a while, I found myself reading every single sentence, instead of just skimming it over, which is what I usually do for SK's rants, since most of it's just play-by-play. Good job Loss and don't let those who can't think outside the box keep you from doing what you're doing with these RAW pieces.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

"The rematch didn't have any build going into it which hurt the match. I didn't feel that Y2J needed to beat Shawn here like I did at Wrestlemania. The match was lacking something. I don't know what it was but I just couldn't get into it. Maybe it's because either result wouldn't help anybody but I just couldn't get into it."

Survey Says:

It's completely because they blew the decision of who to put over at Mania. It's hard to think anything that Jericho does is special at this point (it was true before Mania...they just gave it another blow for fun), and anything HBK does never matters as soon as 1 second after he's done doing it.

Guest Choken One

I didn't say it was bad it just was unusual to the things IWC have become to adjusted to being...

Guest Loss4Words

In terms of storyline and build, yes, I'd say Wrestlemania had the edge. They also had the benefit of better commentary and the match had better flow because there were more commercial breaks.

Sometimes, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. The whole for Wrestlemania is probably greater, but the details in the RAW match are better, at least in my opinion.

But I can see a case for saying either match is better than the other.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I rather like the idea of only putting star ratings on matches that even earn the right to get one.

It makes them seem all special when it happens.

*Makes mental note to steal that if he ever writes reviews*

Guest bob_barron
"The rematch didn't have any build going into it which hurt the match. I didn't feel that Y2J needed to beat Shawn here like I did at Wrestlemania. The match was lacking something. I don't know what it was but I just couldn't get into it. Maybe it's because either result wouldn't help anybody but I just couldn't get into it."

Survey Says:

It's completely because they blew the decision of who to put over at Mania. It's hard to think anything that Jericho does is special at this point (it was true before Mania...they just gave it another blow for fun), and anything HBK does never matters as soon as 1 second after he's done doing it.

You're right bps. After the match Jericho kicks him in the jimmy and HBK goes down.

The next night- HBK isn't there and Jericho's fighting Booker T. The hell?

Guest bob_barron
In terms of storyline and build, yes, I'd say Wrestlemania had the edge. They also had the benefit of better commentary and the match had better flow because there were more commercial breaks.

Sometimes, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. The whole for Wrestlemania is probably greater, but the details in the RAW match are better, at least in my opinion.

But I can see a case for saying either match is better than the other.

I see your point Loss. I think had they given the rematch a better storyline and made it seem like something special I could've gotten into the match more. The viewer was given no reason to care about the match. This is why Jim Ross still serves a purpose. When he wants to he could've made the viewer care about the match and tell them why Jericho (or HBK) needs to win. Instead we have Coach- His laid back style may work on HEAT but not in the big Wrestlemania rematch

Guest Loss4Words

Thanks everyone for the feedback, and just to clarify, when a match "deserves" a star rating, it could be a variety of things:

* It's unusually good.

* It's unusually bad.

* It's being discussed enough that it's worth putting in my two cents.

I just don't see how tacking 1/2* on to Rico v Val Venis in a meaningless match is relevant.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Those are the two things that I think WWE needs to fix first.

1. Why are the people who dominate the ppv and TV time not the same people I pay to see when the house shows come. (Especially true for RAW with Goldberg, HBK and Nash and Austin even if he can't wrestle...less true for SD! now that Hogan is gone).

2. For the love of HHH stop putting those people who don't work hardly ever over the guys you have to constantly book things for to keep your stupid company running.

Guest bob_barron

I'm just wondering Loss-

Aside from HBK v. Jericho II- What would have been the last RAW match worthy of star ratings

Guest bps "The Truth" 21
I'm just wondering Loss-

Aside from HBK v. Jericho II- What would have been the last RAW match worthy of star ratings

That is such a good question with such a potentially scary answer.

My money is on Flair/HHH from...what...2 months ago?

Guest Loss4Words

Probably HHH v Flair the night after Judgment Day, which for the record I'd give **3/4.

Guest bob_barron
I'm just wondering Loss-

That is such a good question with such a potentially scary answer.

My money is on Flair/HHH from...what...2 months ago?

What about HHH v. Kane and HHH v. RVD? Those were two other matches I was thinking about

Guest Loss4Words

I thought about HHH v Kane too, because it did have a good nearfall in it and Kane looked motivated. I'd probably go **1/2-*** on that one. Somewhere in there.

I didn't see HHH v RVD, so I can't comment.

The last "great" match on RAW was probably Booker/Goldust v Jericho/Christian on the Christmas show, which I gave ****.

Guest CanadianChris

I liked it, a lot. The style reminds me of a condensed version of CRZ, who I sorely miss, as I could actually skip Raw and know I wouldn't miss anything, as opposed to Scott "Talk about anything but the match" Keith.