TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Techno

A friend of mine brought a techno cd over to my house and I liked it alot.  Does anyone have any good suggestions on what songs I should download or cds to buy?

Guest areacode212

Good question; I'd like to know too. And if someone could give a brief summary of the different "types" of techno, it would be helpful.

Guest swan
A friend of mine brought a techno cd over to my house and I liked it alot.  Does anyone have any good suggestions on what songs I should download or cds to buy?

Is Lords of Acid considered techno? They kick ass.

Guest razazteca

I would suggest:

Moby

Chemical Brothers

Bassment Jazz

Prodigy

Leftfield

Paul Oakenfold

Spawn Soundtrack

Mortal Combat Soundtrack

Swordfish Soundtrack

Blade Soundtrack

Hackers Soundtrack

Matrix Soundtrack

Saint Soundtrack

Fifth Element Soundtrack

Lords of Acid

Kmfdm

Massive Attack

Kraftwerk

Jason Nevins

Eiffil 66

Daft Phunk

Brooklyn Bounce

Aphex Twin

Carl Orff

Propellerheads

Carl Cox

Pig

Orbital

Ministry of Sound

"Zombie Nation"

Alice DJ

Fat Boy Slim

Robert Miles

KLF

Tunnel Trance Force

Guest redbaron51
Lords of Acid, KMFDM, and Pig are no where near techno. They are industrial.

Does anyone know the group who mixed the song with a chorus that is: "I need a miracle!"?  SWorry if this is too vague.

Guest The Man in Blak

Here, I found this information at terra | TECHNO, which seems to be a pretty sweet place to get info on techno.  The different types are in bold and some of the better known artists are in the italicized part.  Enjoy.  :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hardcore (breakbeat)

This high-speed sound is a sped-up hip-hop drum loop, often spliced and rearranged, generally faster than 140 beats a minute. The music is very intense with lots of catchy samples, focusing on changing drum riffs.

English breakbeat group Underworld fell heavily for the Acid House sound. It believed in the vibrant, unstructured, new form and began to produce a heavy, intense sound of its own. The group's music is hard, groove based and funky. Its 1996 album Born Slippy became a cult phenomenon. Bits of the album were included in crucial moments of the film Trainspotting.

Trance (goa/goatrance)

One of the most popular sounds at nightclubs today, Trance is a gentle sound with lots of synthetic melodies floating over gentle loops. Some trance music has lyrics, but is much better known for its repetitive bass lines known as "four on the floor." Trance music is what is often found on commercial radio. According to trance fan Luis Comulada, who is from Miami, "It captivates you. It gives you a great feeling. When the music ends, you wake up and wonder what happened."

Often described as "the Jimi Hendrix of the Trance sound," Mike Dred has created one of the most amazing underground phenomenon's in the UK. His 1994 album Valley of the Spirits, in collaboration with legendary producer Peter Green, was his first foray into the "acoustic techno" sound. Its electro, hip-hop fusion became the biggest selling techno album in Europe that year.

Ambient

Often referred to as Trance's little brother, Ambient is a slowed-down Trance without a drum beat. It is described as a sound that is more like background music than dance music. Many popular artists like U2 and Sting have embraced its sound and incorporated it into their music.

Producer Brian Eno is known as the pioneer of ambient music. The British native began constructing the music while recovering from a serious car accident that left him bedridden for months. He began creating the sound, and quickly realized that ambient was the perfect background music. Eno described it as "The concept of music which you listen to, or not, and of which you are not consciously aware. My Ambient is defined as an atmosphere -- a tint. My intention is to produce original pieces ostensibly for particular times and situations that builds moods and atmospheres, "Eno was quoted on his website, 1991. Eno has produced for legendary acts like U2, Talking Heads and David Bowie.

House

House music picks up directly where disco left off. House often uses the "four on the floor" drum beat at a more moderate beat (120 beats per minute). House music applies vocals to its tracks.

The music originated from the streets of Chicago in the late 70's. It was considered to be the Windy City's answer to Disco music. The Chicago House sound was known as Garage House. The music revolves around the song's lyrics, with lots of horns and piano play. They named it "Garage" after the New York club that made it popular.

Progressive House is the new phenomenon at nightclubs. With popular American artists like Junior Vazquez, and Danny Tenaglia leading the new wave, Progressive House is bringing back credibility to the United States' electronica sound.

New York-born DJ Danny Tenaglia is leading the way for the Progressive House sound. Upon the release of his 1995 album Hard & Soul Tenaglia became one of the brightest young stars in House Music. He has performed all over the world, and produced for notable artists like Madonna, Janet Jackson, Bette Middler, Cher and Blondie.

Jungle (Drum and Bass)

Jungle brings lots of energy and excitement. There is double-time hip hop beat, with almost any kind of melody imaginable, from jazzy pianos to rhythm and blues, often with an MC rapping over the music. This is also very popular right now on television and radio commercials.

Jungle is famous for perhaps being the hippest of all the electronica sounds. There is a strong hip hop element in the music, and it has gained a widespread following at the nightclubs.

British born disk jockey Goldie has become larger than life. With his golden hair, gold teeth and gold jewelry, Goldie has become an international star. He began his career as a breakdancer in Wolverhampton, England, but found his niche as a DJ. He helped popularize Jungle, creating an exciting fusion of hip hop and rave music.

Techno

The "original" rave music, Techno is very electronic and industrial sounding with hard, generally fast beats. The music originated in the Detroit underground scene in the early 80's. Producers Derrick May and Juan Atkins were instrumental in spreading its sounds around the world. Europe has embraced the techno sound whole-heartedly, while the U.S. ignored it for a while. The music is starting to gain fame in the States thanks to gigantic rave parties, and mainstream artists like Madonna and Lenny Kravitz using the sounds for popular records.

Producer Juan Atkins has been credited for creating the ideas, concepts and sounds that have developed techno music. While growing up in Detroit in the early 80's Atkins became frustrated trying to sell his electro sounds. Along with some friends he started his own label, Metroplex. Their first album No UFO's was the first techno album, and it was heavily influenced by spaceship sounds, which fascinated Atkins.

Atkins later partnered with Derrick May and Kevin Saunderson, which became the most crucial unification in techno history. Together they formed techno music's first international hits "Big Fun" and "Good Life".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to investigate more, the terra | TECHNO site is at

http://www.terra.com/specials/techno/

And that, as they say, is that.

Guest TheyCallMeMark

I would suggest God Lives Under Water.

He worked with Rob Zombie.

Ahoy.

Guest razazteca

not true techno but hybrids of techno and rock or rap:

Spawn Soundtrack

Mortal Combat Soundtrack

Swordfish Soundtrack

Blade Soundtrack

Matrix Soundtrack

Saint Soundtrack

Fifth Element Soundtrack

Lords of Acid

Kmfdm

Breakbeat:

Fatboy Slim

Moby

Propellerhead

Effil 66 & Daft Phunk

Hackers Soundtrack

Robert Miles

Jungle:

Leftfield

Prodigy

Chemical Brothers

Techno:

Paul Oakenfold

Orbital

Trance:

Alice DJ

Brooklyn Bounce

KLF

Guest swan
Lords of Acid, KMFDM, and Pig are no where near techno. They are industrial.

I agree w/ Pig, but KMFDM has all those remix albums that you will here in clubs that play Techno. Lords of Acid is more techno than industrial by far. I don't know what albums you have heard or if you have ever seen them live, but I would call them techno way before industrial. "Lust" to me is a great techno albumn.

Guest razazteca

KMFDM NIHIL album is industrial with guitar riffs but other albums.  Some albums will be hard to download since they have weird symbols as names.  I like the NIHIL and ADIOS albums.  Their political views is anarchy!!!!!

The band also spell their name backwards and sound more like Lords of Acid with the new name check out the Heavy Metal 2000 Soundtrack song "Missing Time" or "Rabble Rouser" "Witch Hunt" "Gasoline" "Anarchy"

Guest swan
KMFDM NIHIL album is industrial with guitar riffs but other albums.  Some albums will be hard to download since they have weird symbols as names.  I like the NIHIL and ADIOS albums.  Their political views is anarchy!!!!!

The band also spell their name backwards and sound more like Lords of Acid with the new name check out the Heavy Metal 2000 Soundtrack song "Missing Time" or "Rabble Rouser" "Witch Hunt" "Gasoline" "Anarchy"

I have about 30 KMFDM albums, EP's and remix singles. One album can have songs that range from dance music to thrash. They don't fit into one category.

Sascha considered MDFMK to be totally independent of KMFDM. It was formed because of a rift that had formed between some of the core members.

Sascha has been writing new material for the new KMFDM album the past two years. This current line-up includes long-time collaborators Tim Skould, Ray Watts (Pig), Bill Rieflin, and Dorona Alberti. Should be a good record. Last I heard it was supposed to be released March 19, 2002.

And as for their " political views is anarchy!!!!!"

Hardly. Look into the history of the band, there is a whole lot more to it then anarchy.

Kein Mehrheit Für Die Mitleid

Guest Zack Malibu

If you're into "Dance Club Techno", then I suggest the following:

Tamia's "Stranger In My House" techno mix

Richie Luzzi's "Without You"

"Castles In The Sky" (not sure of the artists name, but it's a pretty good song)

Da Buzz "Let Me Love You Tonight"

There's also another "party techno" song called Fuck The Millenium.  Not sure who sings that one, but I thought it was OK when I heard it.

Hope I've been somewhat of a help.

Guest Zack Malibu

I've also heard that NYC Underground Volume 3 is a good CD for newer techno listeners to get into.