TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Beast

Bret Hart vs. Mr. Perfect

My favorite match is the Summerslam 1991 encounter between two of the top wrestlers of the past twenty years, Bret Hart and Mr. Perfect, Curt Hennig. Like the Hart Wrestlemania match, I just don't get tired of watching or bored while watching it. The crowd is constantly into the match which, in my opinion says alot about the quality, since Bret had just started his singles push that summer.

I believe this is a perfect match, not a low 4 star match that most people label it as. True, there is no one spot that makes this match stand out, but as a whole, it tells a very entertaining story that grips you to the very end. Watching it knowing that Hennig's back was totally wacked out, makes this match even more deserving of appreciation. Hennig constantly plays his arrogant, cocky character to the fullest, while Hart shines as the up and coming singles wrestler looking for a shot at glory. Even Piper constantly says, while commentating, that Hart needs to win or his career will be severely hampered, by this fork in the road.

There are no missed spots, I believe. It is consistantly said that Hart and Hennig blew the spot where they fell from the top turnbuckle, but I say nay. Hart is punched off, falls, and Hennig decides to just fall right on top of him and get the pin. It's a pretty innovative heat-drawing spot and I love it. The ending itself is memorable in my opinion. Perfect thinks he has Hart down and out and decides to get some mocking and cheapshots done. However, Hart grabs Perfect's leg as he legdrops Hart and applies the Sharpshooter for the immediate tapout, due to Perfect's horrible back. That ending, is shall we say, totally perfect.

Basically, I just believe that although this match does get a lot of appreciation, it is mostly as a pretty good match, not one of the best of all time. It's probably the best match of 1991, a year in which WCW produced a spectacular War Games and the memorable Steiner Bros. vs. Sting and Luger match.

What do you all think of the match?

I think it's a great match, a show-stealer, and the best singles match the WWF put on in 91.

Personally, I loathe the entire star ratings system because it's all subjective. If I think a match is perfect, I couldn't care less if someone else thought it was only ***1/2. I like my opinion and I'll keep it.

Guest DeputyHawk

Agreed, people get too hung up on star ratings. Ratings conformity does, to a certain extent, shape the canon of great North American matches however, and from a personal point of view I would put the Hart-Hennig match right up there. In my mind, Bret produced three ***** matches on PPV in that initial 12 month singles run - against Perfect, Piper and Bulldog. But like Cawthon says, I'm not going to get bent out of shape if overall opinion doesn't reflect my own.

Guest Dynamite Kido

I loved the Perfect-Hart match. I would give it about ****1/2 just because it wasn't longer. But if someone gives it 5 stars, so be it......no complaints here.

Guest Choken One

My only complaint was the Montrealish Finish with Hebner calling for the bell before hart even applied it but that was understandable tho

Watch the tape - Perfect is visibly already in pain before Bret even turns him over ... it just escalates once he does have him in position - which is why Perfect submits so quickly.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

41/2

It's too short and it's obvious in parts that Perfect is being carried by Bret due to his back. to be a 5 star match there should be none of that. A 5 star match is a two man effort both men giving 110%.

Exactly. I don't think Perfect's back could've sustained being in the sharpshooter for much longer. I love the match and agree with the ****1/2 rating for it. All the most considering that Hennig was able to keep up that pace with a back so fucked up.

One thing which pisses me off is that moron Sean Mooney(IIRC) bugging Bret's parents when they are trying to hug him post match.

Guest thrall585

Not "110%" because that is impossible. But 100% instead of giving the typical 89%, 95%, or whatever

Guest The Real Nosferatu

What was with Hennigs hair in the match anyway? IT looks liek he had it chopped short.

In his condition going into the match it had to be the best he could do, because he sold everything like he was being murdered (as usual) and did all the bumping he could stand without seriously being injured even worse.

I always found it odd that Hennig submitted so quickly but its understandable.

Guest DeputyHawk
One thing which pisses me off is that moron Sean Mooney(IIRC) bugging Bret's parents when they are trying to hug him post match.

it was lord alfred hayes. he asked stu how it felt to see his boy win the title, stu started to share his feelings but alfred just took the mic away, turned his back on him and said "stu hart is absolutely speechless, back to you at ringside" or some such, while stu continued to talk. absolutely bizarre moment, and funny as shit.

I'm trying to figure out how a 20 minute match is "too short", but other than that, I'd go between ****1/2 and ***** for that one.

Guest The Real Nosferatu

Considering most WWF matches on PPV then were no longer than 10-15 minutes, 18 was pretty damn long for an under-card.

Guest Ray
Why not a 5-star match?

Because it's not as good as Misawa/Tsuruta. ;)

Very good match, one of Bret's best. ***** is too high though. I rarely give out that rating.

There's nothing wrong with a match being only ****.

Guest drdrainoscott

I've always wondered what exactly Bret did after WM7 to deserve that title shot. Did they ever set up an angle or a number one contenders match?

i love that match. you could argue that KOR was technically a better match, but i give the edge BARELY to this one because of the emotional impact. i remembered it being too short, but i went back & watched it again a while ago , and i was amazed at the kind of rollercoaster the match sends you through, it feels like this epic 25-minute match. those 2 just clicked in the ring, they fed off each other & just seemed to KNOW what they were doing next. their timing together was incredible, i think owen was the only person that bret clicked with better than hennig.

41/2

It's too short and it's obvious in parts that Perfect is being carried by Bret due to his back. to be a 5 star match there should be none of that. A 5 star match is a two man effort both men giving 110%.

I don't agree with you there. Henning gave all that he had in the match. Having a bad back may have slowed him down a bit but i didn't notice anything.

I give it 5 stars.

Guest The Real Nosferatu

the name is Curt HENNIG. No N before G.

His AWA matches are listed as Hennig.

His Early WWF matches are listed as Hennig

WCW I don't know, they spelled Flairs name RICK a lot.

His obituary is listed as Curt Hennig.

Just wanted to point that out.