TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dave O'Neill, Journalist

The 1Inch Hates MLW Thread

By The 1Inch Punch, Dave O'Neill

I really, really wanted to like MLW, and, to a certain extent, i do. For the record, and people like Shooter Jay, I've seen two DVD's, Reload, and King of Kings. Both of which I enjoyed, and turned me into a Kojima mark.

No, I dont hate them becausde Kojima aint working for them.

A few weeks ago, this went up on Mlw's site

http://www.mlw.com/view/v.php?a419

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(NEW YORK, NY) - - - Reigning World Heavyweight Champion Steve Corino has been suspended for 30 days from ring competition in MLW and fined $2,500 (USD) for choking Terry Funk with a rope during a post match altercation in Orlando, Florida on July 26, 2003, Court Bauer, matchmaker, announced today. Corino will begin his suspension today. Corino's presence at MLW events during this period is restricted and he cannot be in the ring or he will be stripped of the World Championship and fined an additional $2,500 (USD) for his actions. Additionally, Corino is barred from this Friday's MLW marquee event entitled Summer Apocalypse in St. Petersburg, FL. If Corino does attend the event he will be stripped of the World Championship on site and face up to a 6 month suspension in MLW.

"After an intensive review of the incident that included viewing the altercation several times, numerous meetings with physicians regarding Mr. Funk's injured larynx, and the unprofessional and dangerous actions by Corino, MLW has deemed a 30 day suspension, $2,500 (USD) fine, and other safeguards as the appropriate sanctions," Bauer said.

Major League Wrestling, Inc. ("MLW") is proud to announce the its marquee summer show entitled Summer Apocalypse! MLW makes its way to the Coliseum located at 535 4th Ave N, in St. Petersburg, FL with a bell time of 7:30 PM with a show to not be missed. MLW will take fighting spirit to the underground when it sets a new standard in violence with its brand of hybrid wrestling with an event not to be missed on August 22nd.

General admission tickets are just $10!!!

Tickets are now on sale online at: http://www.ticketmaster.com/artist/864566 via charge-by-phone at: (727) 892-5202, and at all Ticketmaster outlets throughout Florida. Tickets start at just $10!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr. Court Bauer.

My name is Dave O'Neill, a twenty year old Journalism Student and wrestling fan. You have just insulted in in a huge way. I refer you to the message left on your website.

Mr. Bauer, when I was seven years old, the late Rick Rude was "suspended indefinitely for making insulting comments about Ray Traylor's mother". I'd like to think in the 13 years that have passed, I, and pro wrestling have moved on from this sort of stupidity.

You Sir, and you MLW, are attempting to drag wrestling back to the dark ages.

I was in New York City on August 16, and I was meant to be in attendance at a Ring Of Honor Show in Fairfield, CT. Possibly through fault of my own, I wasnt there, unfortuneately. I wasnt there to see Homicide beat seven shades of piss out of Steve Corino, and leave him with injuries so extensive he may never regain hearing in his left ear ever again.

So, Mr. Bauer, you receive word that your current champion cant compete at your next show. What do you do? You insult my intelligence and the intelligence of every single fan you have by coming up with a stupid angle that everyone sees through. MLW's current fanbase is the same as that of ROH's, so why deny existance of each other. Despite the fact that Terry Funk is perfectly healthy (well, as healthy as Terry Funk will ever be at this stage of his career) and working indies anyway, you see fit to declare him dead because Steve Corino very nearly is.

What would be wrong with putting up a short message on your werbsite, along the lines of

Dear MLW Fans,

Due to injuries suffered somewhere else, Steve Corino will not be appearing at MLW Summer Apocolypse. However, in his place, a surprise guest will be, Stay Tuned to MLW.com to find out more.

------------------------------

With that, you have both informed fans of Corino's no show in a diplomatic fashion that doesnt treat my likea child, and pigued interest in the show by promising a surprise.

Please don't insult this fan like this again Mr. Bauer, or I wont be a fan for much longer.

Yours, Dave O'Neill

Believe it or not, thats why i hate MLW (I didnt send that letter though). It's the year 2003, Kayfabe is dead, deal with it.

2 Other reasons why i dislike this lot.

- Jerry Lawler ended up being the surprise replacement. Words cant express my disgust. I dont want to watch Lawler on Raw for nothing, I'm sure as shit not gonna pay $10 to see him.

- A Wargames match is being advertised for the next show. As I've already discussed in my Infamous Wildside rantings, I hate Wargames with a passion, mainly because Hogan killed its effectiveness back in 1995, and it doesnt lend itself well to modern fans attention spans. Plus I prefer the Elimination Chamber.

And thats why i hate MLW. Feedback is most welcome, both postive and negative (except ShooterJay's "well youre a fucking disgrace to Journalism et al"

Because of my stupid job, The 1inch hates OVW Thread wont be up until next Friday, but i'll be mooching around this thread for the next few days discussing views with MLW fans about my opinions.

Who's to say that MLW wont do a good Wargames ? Watch it before you go on about it being dead. As for the Corino stuff, I agree that its fucking dumb to cover an injury that everyone knows about.

Paraphrasing Dogma

-There hasdnt been a Wargames since 1995, doesnt that tell you anything?

the Nitro match, which i barely remember, wasnt a true Wargames Match, it was one of those 3Cage things Russo grew so fond of. It was also a disaster

Also, from the combatants listed already, I dont think there's anyone involved who could hold the match together (Corino isnt that good)

It wasnt a COMPLETE disaster. OK, so it wasnt great but I didnt think it would be since Kronik, Nash and Russo were involved. Anyways, it doesnt need a single person to hold it together, all they need is 7 or 8 of the guys to be decent brawlers and they have the makings of a decent Wargames match.

While I see your point (shock, horror), I'll be pretty interested to see how the TNA Bloody Wednesday Match goes down, and how well someone like Chris Harris, and Christopher Daniels hold it together, and we'll see how that ends up.

Saying that, the best Wargames Match, 92, had Steve Austin in from the start, so the booking will be really important.

Any word on who the mystery guy is?

Oddly enough, just reading spoilers, Daniels was the first guy in. Thank God

Guest The Real Nosferatu

War Games is a BRAWLING Match for those who never realized it.

Funk? HArdcore Brawler. Sandman? HArdcore Brawler. Dr. Death? Hardcore Brawler. JErry Lawler? ok, 3/4 aint bad

Extreme Horsemen = best thing on MLW right now.

The Mystery Guy will probably be a no talent hardcore wrestler, which will make it enjoyable. (prays for Sting instead)

I know its a brawl, but I'd hope thered be some psychology in there

starts a Save Our Souls chants, in gratitude of this going well

Guest The Real Nosferatu

Still on the MLW one, I hope it will be a good match too with not just non-sensical brawling.

All the good WarGames of wrestling past had lots of brawling, yet it told a story. I'm guessing the one coming up wont be that good, but I'm expecting entertainment from it.

If they mentioned Steve Corino getting injured, they would also have to mention that it was in a losing effort, and I wouldn't want to post a report of the World Champion not only getting injured, but getting beat by Homicide, who is a mid-card talent on MLW. It would really put Steve Corino's reign in question if a mid-card talent for MLW can beat him. I'm not dissing Homicide because I think his great, but while in Ring of Honor he would be considered a threat in the main event, he hasn't been in MLW long enough to be considered anything above mid-card.

Good point Joe, but they can't really disguise something that most people know. I think they should have just admitted he was injured because most people probably know the record that Homicide has had in ROH anyways.

Guest God Junior
Funk? HArdcore Brawler. Sandman? HArdcore Brawler. Dr. Death? Hardcore Brawler. JErry Lawler? ok, 3/4 aint bad.

Didn't Lawler wrestle mostly in hardcore brawls while in Memphis?

Guest ChaosTheory
Dear MLW Fans,

Due to injuries suffered somewhere else, Steve Corino will not be appearing at MLW Summer Apocolypse. However, in his place, a surprise guest will be, Stay Tuned to MLW.com to find out more.

Actually, this insults my intellegence. Especially since Steve Corino wrestled a match on 8/23 in Japan for the Zero-One promotion. Corino was booked for this tour of Zero-One before his match with Homicide. This was the reason for the "suspension" angle- which was shown on MLW TV 2 days after the Corino vs. Homicide match. The MLW TV show is made more than 2 days before it airs.

And to be fair, I didnt know, because I know FUCK ALL about Puro

Plus, I never said that that had to be put on the site, i just wanted something less patronising that what went up

Edited by the 1inch punch

Guest The Real Nosferatu

I haven't seen much of Lawlers old Memphis stuff so I can't be sure on him.

Id be more afraid of him i the actual cage (Wargames 91)

Man he's really fucking clumsy in the ring

And pretty stupid out of it (read the thread in the WWE Folder)

And where the hell is ShooterJay, I thought he'd be ripping me to pieces by now for no reason

Guest Jimmy Saint
Because of my stupid job, The 1inch hates OVW Thread wont be up until next Friday, but i'll be mooching around this thread for the next few days discussing views with MLW fans about my opinions.

I bet Jim Cornette is shaking in his boots right now in fear of a badly written letter from an internet 'journalist' he has never heard of. In it I bet he is told to stop running angles or cutting promo's because a few hundred ROH fans don't like that anymore now that they have the internet and are 'smart' and know everything about the business.

I am also betting he doesent give a fuck about your opinions and nor do any OVW fans.