TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Official College Football thread

BCS problem arises for Big 12

League working to ensure champ will get in a major bowl

By BLAIR KERKHOFF

The Kansas City Star

You want Bowl Championship Series controversy?

How about a scenario where Kansas State or Missouri wins the Big 12 championship game and doesn't end up in a Bowl Championship Series game, which is promised to the league winner?

What?

The BCS rule says its championship game matches the first- and second-place teams in the final BCS standings. Other rules stipulate a team from a BCS conference like the Big 12 gets an automatic bid as an at-large team and that no more than two teams from one conference can play in BCS bowls.

If an undefeated Oklahoma narrowly loses at Arrowhead Stadium on Dec. 6, the Sooners could fall to no lower than second, given what would be a huge lead in the BCS standings entering the game.

Also, Texas, fifth in the latest standings, could move up to No. 4 by the final week.

Does that mean Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl, Texas in the Fiesta, and Kansas State or Missouri in the Cotton, left out of a BCS bowl?

Hold on, cat lovers. The Big 12 office is aware of the situation, and commissioner Kevin Weiberg spent much of his Monday on the phone with other commissioners (BCS officials) talking about this scenario.

“What would happen is the champion would be protected,” Big 12 associate commissioner Tim Allen said. “All along we believed the (conference champion) should be the first team in.”

In this case, K-State or Missouri would replace Texas in the BCS.

So reading that...if OU were to lose the Conference Championship they would undoubtedly still be playing for the national championship?

Guest Choken One

Yep and they should.

Texas shouldn't be in a BCS bowl anyways and besides, They will draw no matter what...

KSU and Mizzou won't...they need to be in a Major BCS bowl.

I think that the BCS would be looking to avoid a HUGE PR nightmare by telling Texas "Adios", at which point LSU (should they lose the SEC title game), Georgia or Tennessee (whoever doesn't play in the SEC title game), etc. could get in.

I guess that this clarification of rules means that the 2nd At Large team will come from the SEC or Big Ten because the Big 12 can't send a third team and the Pac Ten, ACC, and Big East would be hard-pressed to get another team in the Top 12 of the BCS.

Keeping that in mind, the scenario above would see the following teams vying for the bid:

LSU

Georgia or Tennessee (whoever didn't get the SEC title game bid)

Iowa

Ohio State (if they're REAL lucky)

Errr not quite they were just throwing a scenerio out there. Oklahoma would be in danger of falling out of the Sugar Bowl if they lose to Kansas St. and then USC and LSU win out. If either loses though then Oklahoma would still get into the Sugar Bowl most likely. Nothing is guarenteed with this system.

At the end of the article it does point out Kansas State would get in as the Big 12 would make sure of it as they should.

Speaking of getting screwed out of the BCS, that's what is going to happen next week to West Virginia if Pittsburgh beats Miami. Even though West Virginia beat Pitt, Pitt will get the nod because West Virginia would be ranked more than five spots lower in the BCS than Pitt. What a joke, tie for first in a conference and beat the team your tied with but don't get the BCS berth.

On the subject of LSU on ESPN they said it will be very close between them and Michigan for the #3 spot. Now if LSU goes out and wins the SEC championship this will all be moot and they will hold off Michigan but just another sign of how imperfect this system is when a two loss team nearly jumps a one loss team.

Guest Choken One

Figures...The BCS had very little constroversy until it's final year of existance where like 10 teams will wind up getting screwed.

Has K-State even made it to one of the BCS bowls since the inception of the system?

Negative

Here're the bowls they've been in since the inception of the BCS system

2002 - Holiday - Arizona State W 34-27 - KSU was 10-2 before this game, but didn't make the Big XII title game because of loss to Colorado, but they deserved a much higher bowl than this

2001 - Insight.com - Syracuse 26, Kansas State 3 - KSU was 6-5 pre-bowl, they were lucky to even make a bowl this year, a close loss to OU near the beginning of the season sent the 'Cats spiraling down to mid-card level

2000 - Cotton - Kansas State 35, Tennessee 21 - No complaint here (neener to Discojunge, hehe). 10-3 pre-bowl here with two close hard fought losses to national champs OU.

1999 - Holiday - Kansas State 24, Washington 20 - KSU was 11-1 pre-bowl this year, with the one loss to Nebraska, thus locking them out of the Big XII title game. Again, you'd think a good record like this would merit at least a NYD invite, if BCS isn't possible, but nope.

1998 - Alamo - Purdue 37, Kansas State 34 - This is the one that will bitterly sit in my memory for the rest of my sporting life. KSU beats Nebraska for the first time in 30-some-odd years, then goes undefeated into the title game against A&M, loses on a bogus TD call in OT, then gets dumped past the BCS bowls AND past the NYD bowls, all the way to this bowl here. This combined with the Vikings '98 season makes this time period a big black hole in my memory.

Michigan jumping LSU? Maybe in the polls but NOT in the BCS. Michigan is #9 right now and, even with Ohio State and TCU losing this week, they're not jumping up into THE mix. Texas has a better shot of doing it.

EDIT-

Ran the numbers... From Texas on down, the teams are only separated by a few points each. However, Ohio State probably won't drop far enough for Michigan to pass them... yet. I'd say LSU closes in on USC and Michigan closes in on LSU, but Michigan won't pull it off.

That's what Brad Edwards, their BCS guy, is saying. LSU will be #3 but Michigan is going to jump Texas for #4 and they will almost jump LSU going by the projections. Again if LSU wins out they'll hold them off and they'll still have an outside shot at jumping USC. Really in the end it will mean nothing but just once again one of those quirky things that happens with the BCS.

Here is what is being said on collegebcs.com:

That's not the Santa Ana winds you feel. That's the sigh of relief coming from Southern California.

Not that it's over yet. LSU has a chance to finish ahead of USC also, but the chances are much more remote than Ohio State's chances were.

Assuming a win over Georgia in the SEC title game, LSU projects to four spots higher than USC in SOS. That is .16 of the point they need to make up for in poll position. They can do that in the computers if they are ahead of USC in all of them. Unfortunately for the Tigers, USC projects ahead of LSU in Colley. Assuming no quality win points for either team (LSU beating Georgia knocking them out of the top 10 - possibly an unsafe assumption), and that LSU was second and USC third in the other six computers, LSU would come up .01 short.

Seriously wouldn't we all prefer a tournament than stressing over one, one-hundreth of a point?

I think what could seal the deal for LSU would be Florida jumping Tennessee in the BCS poll, thus gaining the title game spot. (Florida's last game, against Florida State, may be enough to pull this off) Not only would it mean that Georgia would continute to give quality win points for LSU, it would also mean that the Tigers will have avenged their only loss this year, which may be enough to make them #2 in the Coach's Poll and AP poll.

Figures...The BCS had very little constroversy until it's final year of existance where like 10 teams will wind up getting screwed.

No one's getting truly screwed this year or any year. 1 loss teams are at fault for losing not the BCS, so if the BCS puts another 1 loss team in that's tough.

Guest Choken One

That's what people said with Miami/OSU last season and we got a classic game out of it...

That's what people said with Miami/OSU last season and we got a classic game out of it...

Well personally I didn't agree with that sentiment but this year I definitely feel otherwise with regards to Oklahoma. I wonder, if they lost to a 1 or 2 loss team in the Sugar Bowl by a close score, if they would still end up taking a share of the NC?

Guest Choken One
USC can give OU a game.

Hell. With a little from mother nature K-State can give OU a game.

You are aware that Sugar Bowl is Indoors correct?

Um he's talking about the Big XII title game which is played outdoors in Kansas City.

No...I thought the WHOEVER won the game was the outright champion.

No only the Coaches poll has to vote the winner of the game #1. The AP poll is under no obligation to vote the winner of the national championship game #1. It is actually possible to get a split national champion even with the BCS although it would have to be a weird set of circumstances for it to happen.

Here is what would have to happen: LSU jumps USC for #2 in the final BCS rankings but USC is still ranked #2 in the AP poll. LSU edges Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl and USC blows out Michigan in the Rose Bowl. It would be enitrely possible in that scenerio that the writers would vote USC #1 by virtue of blowing out a strong Michigan team and there being no undefeated team in the country.

Unlikely but oh what a great thing that would be as the BCS would proven as useless.

Edited by Bored

but the Big 12 title game will be in Kansas City.

(Where it should always be)

The Sugar Bowl will be interesting whenever they get a new stadium in New Orleans.

http://www.stadiumsofnfl.com/future/SaintsStadium.htm

(The stadium they're building)

The Fiesta Bowl in the new stadium in Arizona should be interesting

Colleges that I think should consider new stadiums:

Tulane

Minnesota

San Diego State

Temple

and maybe a few schools that are in trouble on that 'averaging 15,000 for home games' rule. Like San Jose State. The MAC and Sun Belt are in trouble under that too.

Guest Choken One

Here's something I was confused by...

Early this season Michigan set a attendence record for the BIG HOUSE with 111,??? and today they drew 121,000+...Where did those extra 10,000 people come from...Did they add seats or something?

That is an interesting subplot next year when the new 15,000 attendance rule to keep Division I-A eligibility goes into effect.

Here is one other split national champion scenerio: LSU loses the SEC title game, Oregon State upsets USC, and Michigan then moves into the #2 spot in the BCS with two losses against an undefeated Oklahoma team. Michigan edges Oklahoma in a game that could have gone either way and the writers still vote Oklahoma #1 by being the only major school with one loss. That is even more unlikley than the other scenerio as the writes would probably still vote Michigan #1 by beating Oklahoma head-to-head even though they had one more loss.

http://www.journalstar.com/local.php?story_id=100671

Athletic Director Steve Pederson wants Frank Solich out as Nebraska's head football coach, according to three sources close to the situation.

Pederson will try to persuade the sixth-year head coach to formally announce his retirement following NU's Nov. 28 game at Colorado, offering him a job in the Athletic Department and a lucrative buyout package, said the sources, who agreed to talk on the condition they not be identified.

"He wants Frank gone. He's made up his mind,"said a longtime, out-of-state booster with close ties to the department.

The sources said Nebraska's first-year athletic director reached his decision eight days ago after watching fans stream for the exits early in the fourth quarter of Nebraska's 38-9 loss to Kansas State, its worst home defeat in 45 years. The blowout, NU's second on national television this month, appeared to bore ABC sportscasters before the network cut to a more competitive game. It also came on the heels of Pederson's Nov. 6 news conference announcing a $40 million fund-raiser for new athletic facilities.

"Texas and Kansas State weren't competitive games. They were the straws that broke the camel's back," said a Texas booster also with strong ties to the program. After the K-State game, the source said, Pederson walked to the skyboxes to reassure boosters that "we're going to do something; don't get upset."

Pederson denies he has spoken to anyone about a plan to force Solich's retirement, and former Coach Tom Osborne and some of the program's biggest boosters deny they have heard such a plan.

"I am on the record as saying Ihave not discussed this matter publicly or privately," Pederson said at the Devaney Center Saturday night, where he was attending the NUmen's basketball season opener. The athletic director refused further comment. Solich also declined to comment.

"I haven't heard anything about it," Osborne said.

"I swear on a stack of Bibles that Steve has never given me any indication at all about what he'd decided as to what he's going to do with Frank Solich,"said Dan Cook, a longtime booster and benefactor for the Cook Pavillion, NU's indoor practice field.

The three sources who spoke to the Journal Star tell a different story.

In the last week, the athletic director has met privately with a select few millionaire boosters to gauge support for his decision, they said. They also believe Pederson has arranged Solich's buyout package but hasn't yet presented it to the head coach, who makes $1.1 million annually.

The only thing left for the athletic director to do is to get Solich to accept his own retirement, the sources said.

If the coach refuses to go quietly, Pederson may not be willing to fire him, they said. The situation could be complicated by pro-Solich boosters who contribute heavily to the program and may balk at the firing of a man who first entered the program in 1962, Bob Devaney's first year as head coach.

"Steve has to do this with some class and grace,"said the Texas booster. "(The boosters)want Frank to be able to bow out with some dignity."

Solich's retirement would come quickly after the Colorado game, to ensure that as little damage as possible is done to NU's recruiting efforts, the sources said.

I honestly think that if designed right, a 40,000 seat stadium for just San Diego State would look good. You have to factor in a San Diego feel and make it stand out.

Now, Tulane may not get their own field since they're flirting with dropping football. But, at the very least, they should have green seats.

Temple should probably look into a new home.

Army/Navy is being played at Lincoln Financial, right?

San Diego St. is one of the most underachieving programs in college sports. Look where their located, compare that too the other teams in the Mountain West. They dominate that league.

uh the record for the Michigan game was 112,118, with one of them being me. There is no way that they can fit 121,000 unless they put them in the aisleway and we already had enough people in the aisle today, so 121,00 while possible would be totally uncomfortable

On the split national championship scenario:

This could have played out two years ago. Remember the controversy with Miami, Nebraska, Oregon, and, to a lesser extent, Colorado? I thought Oregon should've been in the title game, but Nebraska got in. It's not unreasonable to think that if Nebraska had won, the writers would've put Oregon at #1, as I believe they were #2 in the poll.

I didn't think Miami was far and away the best team last year. In the 2001 season, well, they were just fucking insane that year.

Here's a fun dream match for us all: 2001 Miami against Oklahoma today.