TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Official College Football thread

I forgot about that "still can have split champions" thing... hell, I never knew that was possible until two years ago

It is so funny how the BCS was supposedly enacted to prevent such things. They are extremely lucky to have had one lone undefeated team every year since the BCS inception (UT, FSU, OU, Miami and OSU) and thus avoid that, but if they have a scenario with two one loss teams in the champ game and a third one loss team looking from the outside, there's still that possibility, among others

Pst... playoffs... you know you want them

I don't want a playoff, and here's why:

As much as I might bitch and moan about the little guys never getting a chance, I get a secret enjoyment out of the very aristocratic structure of college football. I like the phrase "bowl eligible." If I want playoff talk, I can watch professional sports. Right now, losing a game is equivalent to death if you want a national championship. It takes a lot of the motivation out if you know you can drop one or two and still make some playoff system.

If I want playoff talk, I can watch professional sports.

The other big college sports have playoffs. Hell, the sub-D1 divisions have football playoffs, which in itself renders most any argument against a D1 system useless ("it takes players out of academics","it's inconvenient to schedule", etc.)

If it's just about the money, I wish they'd come out and say it already, but for some reason big-name organizations/people have an aversion to being honest about economic motivations.

Right now, losing a game is equivalent to death if you want a national championship. It takes a lot of the motivation out if you know you can drop one or two and still make some playoff system.

I feel the opposite way. Teams have to worry about going undefeated to win a national championship, and if they lose, they can pretty much assume it's over, unless there are no undefeated teams at the end of the season, but that's putting your fate into the hands of other people... kinda like the BCS, hmmm...

Plus what I don't like when they rank teams of the same loss count, it's typically in ascending order from "who lost most recently" and goes up from there, hence the "early loss, late loss" problem (although USC and LSU's losses were too close together for this to be a factor)

Plus, a playoff would prevent a team from running up the table on a weakass schedule (a la last year's Luckeyes) to make it into the one championship game. They'd have to beat two or three (depending on layout) of the best teams in the nation rather than just a one game playoff and earn their championship

It may never happen, but that don't mean I'm not gonna fight for it

It's YOUR ACC wrap-up for the week!

At the beginning of the year, anyone saying Clemson would be taking the Peach Bowl and FSU the BCS bid would probably get mocked extensively. Clemson was supposed to bomb, and UVA, NC State, and Maryland were supposed to step up and kick a mediocre FSU team to the curb. Not so.

The bowl standings are pretty much set for the ACC:

BCS (Orange, I think) - FSU (9-2, 7-1)

Gator - Maryland (8-3, 5-2)

Peach - Clemson (8-4, 5-3)

Tangerine - NCST (7-5, 4-4)

Continental Tire - UVA (6-5, 4-4)

Humanitarian - GT (6-5, 4-4)

NC State, Virginia, and Georgia Tech are all 4-4 in conference play, but NC State's win over Virginia puts them over the Cavs, and Virginia's 29-17 bonk of Georgia Tech this week does likewise for them over the Yellowjackets. Like I said last week, it's gonna depend on if the Tire Bowl wants Virginia for a second year in a row, or wants to branch out. Too bad that's the most thrilling news out of the conference.

Game of the week was unquestionably NC State/Maryland. Anyone watching though can see why Phillip Rivers, great as he is, really doesn't even have an outside Heisman chance. NC State has played in the three best ACC games this year - against UVA, FSU, and Maryland - but has only won two. At 7-5, they just can't pull out the big wins when they count. Too bad his final game at home ending with asshole NC State fans throwing bottles at the field. Way to go, guys.

Next week are three big out-of-conference rivalry games, and an incidental. Maryland plays Wake, but the big ones are FSU/Florida, GT/Georgia, and UVA/Virginia Tech. I'm taking Florida, Georgia, and UVA in those games. FSU is good, but for the second year in a row the ACC is going to have a mid-teens champ with a few losses representing them in the BCS.

Georgia is fighting for a ton - a loss probably takes them out of contention for the SEC East title with that fancy tiebreaker - but could blow it. Still, they've got the momentum after this week, and GT doesn't.

UVA/VT is going to be a helluva show, and I'll be there. For the Cavs, it's win or face a disappointing 6-6 season. For the Hokies, it's win or be laughed at, again, as the team that collapses huge at the end of the season. After the win over GT and VT's loss to Boston College, it's Advantage Cavaliers in this one. The biggest problem will be if UVA continues its fine tradition of turnovers, because Frank Beamer's team is going to be gunning for the special teams plays as always.

New AP Top 25

1. Oklahoma

2. USC

3. LSU

4. Michigan

5. Georgia

6. Texas

7. Tennessee

8. Ohio State

9. Florida State

10. Miami

11. Florida

12. Purdue

13. Iowa

14. Kansas State

15. Miami (OH)

16. Washington State

17. Mississippi

18. Boise State

19. TCU

20. Pittsburgh

21. Virginia Tech

22. Bowling Green

23. Oklahoma State

24. West Virginia

25. Nebraska

Other Receiving Votes

26. Arkansas

27. Minnesota

28. Maryland

29. Utah

30. Southern Miss

31. Michigan State

32. Northern Illinois

33. Clemson

34. Connecticut

35t. Oregon

35t. Wisconsin

37. Memphis

New AP Top 25

1. Oklahoma

2. USC

3. LSU

4. Michigan

5. Georgia

WHOO! Look at that leapfrog by Michigan!

Have to wait and see how they place in the BCS poll though

Well Michigan is probably one of only three teams that could actually give OU a game. Since the second half of the Minnesota game, they have been playing as good as any team in the nation not named Oklahoma

Word is that the Cotton Bowl is very close to doing this, or they have already accepted Oklahoma State as the Big XII rep.

Ya know, I could have sworn that the bowls weren't allowed to pull this bullshit.

But, I guess the 9-3 OSU team (5-3 in the Big 12) is more worthy than the 10-3 KSU (6-2 in the Big 12)

One of these years, Snyder should just refuse to go to a bowl game to get back at the bowl committees for their horseshit.

I want to see Clemson in the Gator Bowl.

I don't think you will. Wake Forest has been struggling since the middle of the season and I don't expect them to give Maryland much trouble. The chances of the Gator Bowl committee taking an 8-4/5-3 team over a 9-3/6-2 team that might sneak into the top 25 don't strike me as high. They have done end-arounds in the past, though, so there's still a chance.

The other side of the Gator Bowl, Big East #2, is going to be pretty interesting. If Miami loses to Pitt, giving West Virginia the Big East title, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Gator Bowl snap up the much bigger and much closer Hurricanes, even if they end up a game behind Pitt and in 3rd place in the conference.

Amusing note elsewhere: who thought that, after toppling the unbeatable giant Miami, Virginia Tech would be on a path for the Tire Bowl? Though, again, I could see someone taking them over West Virginia if it came down to it, especially if they finish strong next week against Virginia.

What's the rules for breaking a three-way tie in the SEC East?

since Florida beat Georgia, who beat Tennessee, who beat Florida

unless Kentucky beats Tennessee, the East will be messed up, but if UK beats UT, then Florida goes to the SEC title game

The other side of the Gator Bowl, Big East #2, is going to be pretty interesting. If Miami loses to Pitt, giving West Virginia the Big East title, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Gator Bowl snap up the much bigger and much closer Hurricanes, even if they end up a game behind Pitt and in 3rd place in the conference.

Already mentioned this but West Virginia's chances of getting the Big East's BCS berth are slim and none. Even if Pittsburgh wins next week, thus giving West Viriginia a share of the title with Pitt, the BCS berth will go to Pittsburgh because they will likley be more than five spots ahead of West Virginia in the BCS rankings, even though West Virginia beat Pittsburgh. Yes its a stupid rule and thus West Virginia will get screwed out of BCS berth.

One of these years, Snyder should just refuse to go to a bowl game to get back at the bowl committees for their horseshit.

While I would larf very hard if that were to ever happen, KSU needs the money it can get from a bowl game, considering the current state of the Kansas DoE

Any idea who wins the SEC east if Tennessee beats UK?

KSU needs the money it can get from a bowl game, considering the current state of the Kansas DoE

KSU needs a bigger stadium too, so certain Mizzou-people don't smirk since K-State gets 49,000 a game. I'm sure it'd just be another deck stacked on Wagner though.

Any idea who wins the SEC east if Tennessee beats UK?

KSU needs the money it can get from a bowl game, considering the current state of the Kansas DoE

KSU needs a bigger stadium too, so certain Mizzou-people don't smirk since K-State gets 49,000 a game. I'm sure it'd just be another deck stacked on Wagner though.

On top of that, the small stadium is one of the big reasons why big name non-conference teams don't want to come to Manhattan, since they can't drag along their huge fanbases in the process

So anytime people bitch about KSU's weak non-conference schedule, there's one of your factors right there

If Tennessee loses to Kentucky, Florida goes to the title game.

If Georgia loses to Georgia Tech, Tennessee goes to the title game as they'll end up with a higher BCS ranking.

If both Georgia and Tennessee both win, Georgia goes to the title game since they will have a higher BCS ranking.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Michigan's probably only going to be 6th in the BCS since they have a major hardon for Texas right now.

Here's the bowl projections, if the bowl games actually bothered to pay attention to the tie-ins and standings and all (yes, the #2s for the SEC and B12 are the losers in the title games)

Bowl: New Orleans Bowl

When: Dec. 16, 7:00, ESPN 2

Where: New Orleans, LA

Conference tie-ins:

Sun Belt No. 1 vs. C-USA No. 3, 4 or 5

Projection: North Texas vs. Memphis

Bowl: GMAC Bowl

When: Dec. 18, 7:30, ESPN2

Where: Mobile, AL

Conference tie-ins:

C-USA No. 2 vs. MAC No. 1 or 2 or WAC

Projection:  TCU vs. Miami of Ohio

Bowl: Tangerine Bowl

When: Dec. 22, 5:30, ESPN

Where: Orlando, FL

Conference tie-ins:

ACC No. 4 vs. Big XII No. 5 or 6

Projection:

North Carolina State vs. Kansas (Texas Tech went to Orlando last year)

Bowl: Fort Worth Bowl

When: Dec. 23, 7:30, ESPN

Where: Fort Worth, TX

Conference tie-ins: Big XII vs. Conference USA

Projection: UConn v. Louisville [or Texas Tech v. Houston]

Bowl: Las Vegas Bowl

When: Dec. 24, 7:30 ESPN

Where: Las Vegas, NV

Conference tie-ins:

M West No. 2 vs. Pac 10 No. 5

Projection:

New Mexico vs. Oregon [or New Mexico v. Oregon State]

Bowl: Hawaii Bowl

When: Dec. 25, 8:00, ESPN

Where: Honolulu, HI

Conference tie-ins: C-USA No. 3, 4 or 5 vs. WAC No. 1, 2 or 3

Projection: Houston vs. Tulsa (Although Hawaii may end up in this game) [or Louisville v. Tulsa]

Bowl: Motor City Bowl

When: Dec. 26, 5:00 ESPN or ESPN2

Where: Detroit, MI

Conference tie-ins:

MAC No. 1 or 2 vs. Big Ten

Projection: Bowling Green vs. Wisconsin

Bowl: Insight Bowl

When: Dec. 26, 8:30, ESPN or ESPN2

Where: Phoenix, AZ

Conference tie-ins: Big East No. 3 or Notre Dame vs. Pac 10 No. 4

Projection:

Pittsburgh vs. Oregon State [or Pittsburgh v. UCLA]

Bowl: Continental Tire Bowl

When: Dec. 27, 11 am, ESPN

Where: Charlotte, NC

Conference tie-ins:

Big East No. 4 or 5 and ACC No. 5

Projection: 

Syracuse vs. Virginia

Bowl: Alamo Bowl

When: Dec. 29, 9:00 ESPN

Where: San Antonio, TX

Conference tie-ins:

Big Ten No. 4 vs. Big XII No. 4

Projection:

Iowa vs. Oklahoma State [or Iowa v. Nebraska]

Bowl: Holiday Bowl

When: Dec. 30, 8:00, ESPN

Where: San Diego, CA

Conference tie-ins:

Big XII No. 3 vs. Pac 10 No. 2

Projection:

Nebraska vs. Washington State [or Texas V. California]

Bowl: Houston Bowl

When: Dec. 30, 4:30, ESPN or ESPN2

Where: Houston, TX

Conference tie-ins:

SEC vs. Big XII No. 5, 6 or 7

Projection: Navy v. Texas Tech [or Oklahoma State v. Navy]

Bowl: Music City Bowl

When: Dec. 31, Noon, ESPN

Where: Nashville, TN

Conference tie-ins: Big Ten No. 6 or 7 vs. SEC No. 5 or 6

Projection: Northwestern vs. Auburn 

Bowl: Independence Bowl

When: Dec. 31, 8:00 ESPN

Where: Shreveport, LA

Conference tie-ins:

Big XII No. 5, 6 or 7 vs. SEC No. 7

Projection:

Missouri vs. Arkansas

Bowl: Sun Bowl

When: Dec. 31, 2:00, CBS

Where: El Paso, TX

Conference tie-ins: Big 10 No. 5 vs. Pac. 10 No. 3

Projection: Minnesota vs. California [or Minnesota v. Oregon]

Bowl: San Francisco Bowl

When: Dec 31, 10:30 pm, ESPN2

Where: San Francisco, CA

Conference tie-ins: Big East No. 4 or 5 vs. Mountain West No. 3

Projection: 

Virginia Tech vs. Colorado St

Bowl: Liberty Bowl

When: Dec. 31. 3:30, ESPN

Where: Memphis, TN

Conference tie-ins:

C-USA No. 1 vs. MWest No. 1

Projection: 

Southern Miss vs. Utah

Bowl: Silicon Valley Classic

When: Dec. 31, 7:30, ESPN2

Where: San Jose, CA

Conference tie-ins:

WAC No. 1, 2 or 3  or MAC vs. Pac 10 No. 6

Projection: 

Fresno State vs. UCLA [or Fresno State v. Washington]

Bowl: Outback Bowl

When: Jan. 1, 11:00, ESPN

Where: Tampa, FL

Conference tie-ins:

Big Ten No. 3 vs. SEC No. 3 (East)

Projection: 

Michigan State vs. Florida

Bowl: Cotton Bowl

When: Jan. 1, 2:00, Fox

Where: Dallas, TX

Conference tie-ins: Big XII No. 2 vs. SEC No. 3 (West if possible), Big East or Notre Dame

Projection:

Kansas State vs. Ole Miss

Bowl: Gator Bowl

When: Jan. 1, 12:30, NBC

Where: Jacksonville, FL

Conference tie-ins: ACC No. 2 vs. Big East No. 2 or Notre Dame

Projection: 

Maryland vs. West Virginia

Bowl: Capital One Bowl

When: Jan. 1, 1:00, ABC

Where: Orlando, FL

Conference tie-ins:

Big Ten No. 2 vs. SEC No. 2

Projection:

Purdue vs. Georgia

Bowl: Orange Bowl

When: Jan. 1, 8:30, ABC

Where: Miami, FL

Conference tie-ins:

BCS vs. BCS

Projection: 

Florida State vs. LSU

Bowl: Rose Bowl

When: Jan. 1, 5:00, ABC

Where: Pasadena, CA

Conference tie-ins: Big Ten No. 1 vs. Pac 10 No. 1 (maybe ... if not in BCS Championship)

Projection: Michigan vs. Texas [or Michigan v. Washington State]

Bowl: Peach Bowl

When: Jan. 2, 4:30, ESPN

Where: Atlanta, GA

Conference tie-ins:

ACC No. 3 vs. SEC No. 4

Projection: 

Clemson vs. Tennessee

Bowl: Tostitos Fiesta Bowl

When: Jan. 2, 9:00, ABC

Where: Tempe, AZ

Conference tie-ins:

BCS vs. BCS

Projection:

Ohio State vs. Miami

Bowl: Humanitarian Bowl

When: Jan. 3, Noon, ESPN or ESPN2

Where: Boise, ID

Conference tie-ins:

WAC No. 1, 2 or 3 vs. ACC

Projection:

Boise State vs. Georgia Tech (I bet the Humanitarian Bowl would love to match Boise State and Notre Dame if they could)

Bowl: Sugar Bowl

When: Jan. 4, 8:00, ABC

Where: New Orleans, LA

Conference tie-ins:

BCS No. 1 vs. BCS No. 2

Projection: 

Oklahoma vs. USC

Any objections?

and yes.. I think Washington State might be in the Rose Bowl. Which is why I put up alternate matchups.

Edited by Rob E Dangerously

yeah.. but I think Navy or UConn might get a bowl game. Navy will get one easier because they are a 'name' program. (I put them in Houston, it's a port and all). Notre Dame may not get a bowl game, but Boise State stomping Notre Dame could help their program out in the eyes of fans

If Miami wins the Big East they are a virtual lock for the Orange Bowl. Obviously for geographical reasons and their fans don't travel well so the Fiesta and Rose Bowl's won't want anything to do with them. By proxy Florida State would be a lock for the Fiesta Bowl in that scenerio (or maybe the Rose *shudder*) as the BCS won't want a match-up between two teams that played during the year. Now if Miami loses next week then you can pretty guarentee Florida State will be in the Orange Bowl. The Orange Bowl has to take either the Big East or ACC champ.

If Miami wins the Big East, if the Fiesta Bowl selects Texas first, and will just say LSU wins the SEC here is the likely scenerio:

Sugar: Oklahoma vs. USC

Rose: Michigan vs. LSU

Fiesta: Texas vs. Florida State

Orange: Miami vs. Ohio State

If the Fiesta Bowl selects Ohio State first here is how it will look...just leaving out the Sugar since it wouldn't be effect:

Rose: Michigan vs. Texas

Fiesta: Ohio State vs. Florida State

Orange: Miami vs. LSU

Edited by Bored

and yes.. I think Washington State might be in the Rose Bowl. Which is why I put up alternate matchups.

Washington State has to make it into the BCS top 12 first, which doesn't look too likely at this point (after losing to Washington yesterday).

Yes because Ohio State is likely, at the moment, the 2nd at-large team with Texas. If the Fiesta Bowl takes Texas with its pick, the Rose Bowl will then take the SEC champ, and the Orange Bowl then will take Miami. The BCS would then make the Fiesta take Florida State because they don't want them playing Miami again and then Ohio State would fall into the lap of the Orange Bowl.

I think they would do this so ABC could hype it as "Miami vs. Ohio State II" or just "The Rematch". I think the BCS will lean on the Fiesta to take Texas and not Ohio State so they can do this although the Fiesta might want Texas more anyways.

Michigan's probably only going to be 6th in the BCS since they have a major hardon for Texas right now.

I'd think Oklahoma's humiliation of them would've stop that hardon.

Michigan will most likely be fourth possibly third in the next BCS rankings. Yes, a two loss team has a chance of being ahead of a one loss team. And doesn't the Cotton Bowl have to take the loser of the Big XII title game since they would be Big XII #2

And doesn't the Cotton Bowl have to take the loser of the Big XII title game since they would be Big XII #2?

In 3 out of the 7 Cotton Bowls since the Big 12 title game, the loser of the title game went to the Cotton Bowl. A&M (in 1997), Texas (in 1999) and Kansas State (in 2000).

The other 4? Orange Bowl (Nebraska, K-State went to Dallas), Alamo Bowl (K-State, Texas went to Dallas and Colorado, Texas went to Dallas again), Holiday Bowl (Texas, Oklahoma went to Dallas)

Kansas State is the only Big 12 North team to ever go to the Cotton Bowl during the life of the "Big 8 + Texas".

Oklahoma St. doesn't strike me has a team that would bring alot of fans.

The Rose Bowl says they want Big 10-Pac 10. But I don't think they'll be crying if Texas or an SEC team makes. They travel much better than the Pac 10. The Big 10 champion is the one they really want.

Whatever...the game is California and the Rose Bowl stadium is the home of a Pac-10 team in UCLA. The Rose Bowl cares more about tradition than anything which is why they were holding out for Washington State before they blew it.