TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nevermortal

CZW's Death Match Locale in Jeopardy

DOVER - A proposed ordinance designed to prohibit combative fighting in Dover has left some businesses perplexed about the future of professional wrestling events in the city.

The ordinance would outlaw events with "prearranged" results, but city officials said it should not affect "sanctioned" pro wrestling, including a local promotion.

The measure was drafted in response to a video depicting an "extreme fighting match" that was held last year at Rack's Bar and Billiards on U.S. 13.

Dover Fire Marshal David Truax said the video showed Philadelphia-based pro-wrestling promotion Combat Zone Wrestling holding an event at the bar that was "not actually wrestling."

Participants were hitting each other with light bulbs, he said, and someone turned a Weed Whacker on another man.

"They say it's not real," he said, "but when you're getting hit in the stomach with a Weed Whacker, it's pretty hard to fake."

CZW's Web site bills the promotion as "ultra-violent" and lists Rack's as one of its five venues. Three are in southeastern Pennsylvania.

Councilman Eugene B. Ruane said the video was "very horrendous, almost stomach turning" and something council does not want in the city.

"One of our goals in the city is to promote public safety," he said, "and this is contrary to that goal."

Under the measure, ultimate fighting matches and "tough man" competitions would be prohibited, as would "sham or collusive contests ... (where) the results thereof have been prearranged."

The outcomes of professional wrestling matches almost always are predetermined and the event is viewed more as an athletic exhibition than a competition.

Council approved a first reading of the proposed ordinance Aug. 25 and the measure will be on the slate Monday for a final vote.

Rack's owner James Kozel criticized the city for drafting the ordinance, noting it would create more questions than answers.

"We need someone to say what's acceptable," he said. "It's opening a can of worms.

"It's not black and white. It leaves things open to interpretation."

City Solicitor Nicholas H. Rodriguez, who helped draft the original measure, said the ordinance would not prohibit professionally sanctioned matches, such as those held by billion-dollar company World Wrestling Entertainment.

Mr. Kozel said he has hosted three CZW shows this year, with the most recent in July drawing 1,000. The shows are catered to adults, a fact he said he does not hide.

"It's intended to be entertaining," he said. "If 1,000 people come to the show, you would think it's a success.

"This is hardcore wrestling. It's not for everyone."

He said he planned to hold another CZW event in October, but it is in doubt with the ordinance up for a vote.

J.W.'s Restaurant & Sports Lounge owner Steve Grossman heads up Delaware Championship Wrestling, a professional promotion based out of Dover.

While his organization caters to families more than CZW, he said he personally enjoys the hardcore wrestling shows.

"As a paying adult, why can't I go over there in a closed environment and enjoy it?" he asked.

Despite the opinion of city officials, Mr. Grossman said he is unsure how the ordinance could affect his promotion and has requested information from the city and intends to talk with Dover officials about the measure.

That's all CZW needs, is to have Racks taken away from them. This is teh suxor.

Guest Jay Z. Hollywood

The ban isn't for the entire state of Delaware, it's for Dover *only*. I'm sure if they looked hard enough they could find other places in Delaware, maybe their original venue in Smyrna. As far as other states with no bans or regulations, West Virginia is an option.

If you want to help fight the Dover ban, here's a list of people to contact (courtesy of Bob Magee at PWBTS.com)

First, here's the sponsor of the legislation...

Representative - 2nd District Eugene B. Ruane

[email protected]

Here are the remaining members of the Dover City Council:

Council President - 2nd District/William P. McGlumphy

[email protected]

Mayor Honorable James L. Hutchison

[email protected]

Representative - 1st District Beverly C. Williams

[email protected]

Representative - 1st District Stephen R. Speed

[email protected]

Representative - 3rd District Robert G. Ritter, Jr.

[email protected]

Representative - 3rd District William P. Truitt

[email protected]

Representative - 4th District John W. Pitts

[email protected]

Representative - 4th District Reuben Salters

[email protected]

Representative - At-Large Carleton E. Carey, Sr.

[email protected]

Let them know in a well-written, literate manner that you'll boycott any business in the township and urge your friends to do the same.

If you know people at area businesses, ask them to contact the Council and to do the same.

The ban is for Dover only? must have misread that. Oh, well that is still bad just not as bad as I thought, they could get around that. There are alot of other bars with alot of other parking lots to run in, if need be.

To be honest, CZW could hold TOD3 at Racks anyway. It's simply too small for them. Those of you who have TOD2 can see from the roof during Zandig/Mondo just how packed that parking lot was. Assuming that CZW continues to grow, they're simply going to have to find a larger venue to hold TOD3 at.

Of course, if there ends up being no TOD3, I'm going to shoot somebody in the face.

Guest Jay Z. Hollywood
Of course, if there ends up being no TOD3, I'm going to shoot somebody in the face.

And we all know that somebody is going to be me.

Find a new venue quick!

From 411mania.com:

Dover, DE did go through with their ban on "ultraviolent" wrestling. The bill was passed 8 votes to 1.

The wording of the ordinance requires that heavily gimmicked props will not be able to be used in wrestling matches. However, this is not a ban on all pro-wrestling like the original fear was. The ordinance was passed after concerns over a Combat Zone Wrestling event that saw wrestlers use extreme props in matches.

"This will eliminate someone from jumping through panes of glass and barbed wire," said DCW's Steven Grossman to DelawareOnline.com. "[Combat Zone is] not wrestling."

The original wording of the ordinance would have effectively banned all pro-wrestling, but both WWE and DCW informed the city council of the inproper wording.

Mmmmmmmmm, censorship.

As I said before, I doubt CZW could hold TOD3 at Racks, due to the size of the crowd (TOD2 was more or less a sellout, since I doubt they did run out of chairs, and I doubt they could have safely crammed anymore people into that parking lot), however this prevents CZW from running in the city of Dover ever again, meaning an alternative location need to be found. This is only for Dover; the rest of Delaware is still good, provided whomever initiated this bill in Dover doesn't go after the legislature wherever else CZW decides to run.

Guest ManKinnd

Now what WOULD be interesting is since hardcore weapons are banned, instead of TOD, they simply had an 8-man tournament with every guy displaying ACTUAL wrestling. Imagine a mat-wrestling exhibition between Gage and Hatred, a lucha-style high-flying affair between Zandig and Mondo.

Dream of the possibilities.

I like watching a good deathmatch just as much as the next guy, but just THINK of it.

Guest Jay Z. Hollywood

HAHAHA.

Looks like DCW (the "rival" promotion that likely blew the whistle on CZW) just screwed themselves over. Look at the wording on the ban.

"The measure prohibits matches in which anything but the human body or boxing gloves are used and also bans the use of any objects meant to inflict bodily injury."

That means no chairs, no brass knux, no tables, nothing.