TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheFranchise

Taker's title shot at WM13

I was thinking about this on the way home today (see, see what I think about when i'm bored?!?)

Undertaker went up against Sid for the title at Mania13, but i dont recall Taker winning that year's rumble? What happened to make Taker go to Mania?

Austin won the 97 Rumble, but instead of getting his shot at WM, it was at February's Final Four PPV in a four way match. This was around the time Shawn Michaels "lost his smile" because he was supposed to job to Bret at WM13. Bret won the title at Final Four, only to lose it to Sid the next night on Raw (I think it was the next night). Somehow UT was named #1 contender, while Bret fought Austin at WM13 in an awesome match.

And Sid crapped his pants.

Guest The Real Nosferatu

I'm assuming since UT was the runner up in the Final Four match, and with Bret Hart rather having a match with Austin, UT became the default #1 contender

How would anyone know Sid crapped his pants? Whow uold want to know.

Edited by Raven1919

Here's the full story:

Steve Austin was eliminated from the 1997 Royal Rumble by Bret Hart, but the refs didn't see it. Austin snuck back in the match, and eliminated Undertaker, Vader and finally Bret to win the Rumble.

Bret then quit the company on a live Raw the next night, continuing to rant about always being screwed. To pacify him, a match was made at the February PPV between Austin and the three men he screwed at the Rumble. It would be a Final Four match, which was essentially a mini-Rumble where pinfalls and submissions also counted. The winner would go on to face the WWF champ at WrestleMania XIII.

Shawn Michaels, who was WWF champ at the time, gave the "losing my smile" speech a week and a half before Final Four, forfeiting the title. The Final Four match was then made for the vacant WWF title, and Sid, who was to have gotten a title shot at the PPV, would get a shot at the winner the following night on Raw.

The original plan was to have Austin win the Final Four match, then drop the title to Sid the next night. However, when Austin injured his knee during the match, they changed the finish on the fly, giving Bret the match and the title. He then lost the title to Sid the next night on Raw, as a result of interference by Austin.

They then made the Bret/Austin match for Mania, and since Undertaker was the last man left in the Final Four match, he received the title shot against Sid. The week before Mania, Bret got a title shot against Sid in a steel cage. He lost the match, despite interference on his behalf by Austin, who wanted to fight Bret for the title at Mania, due to interference by the Undertaker, who would've lost his title shot if Bret had won the title.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Guest Choken One

as for Sid shitting his pants?

It wasn't during Mania...It was a House Show...Sid had some digestive problems at this time and as Taker chokeslamed Sid...Sid um...shat himself...

Taker quickly covered sid and told the ref "He shat himself" and Then Shawn caught wind of this and was laughing at the incident which pissed Bret off and they got into a fight...

So if you think about it...Wrestling never would have had that resurgance if Sid never shat himself...

Guest The Real Nosferatu

Now everytime I say "UT Chokeslammed the shit out of ::Wrestler x::" I'll think of Sid.

The night after Final Four during Raw it was announced that the Undertaker was getting the title shot at whomever was champ at WrestleMania. Bret even cut a promo backstage on defending the title against Taker.

Bret vs. Austin wasn't announced until a week later.

It wasn't during Mania...It was a House Show...Sid had some digestive problems at this time and as Taker chokeslamed Sid...Sid um...shat himself...

Taker quickly covered sid and told the ref "He shat himself" and Then Shawn caught wind of this and was laughing at the incident which pissed Bret off and they got into a fight...

So if you think about it...Wrestling never would have had that resurgance if Sid never shat himself...

Dude, I think you have a good point about that. Sid shitting his pants had a domino affect on the carrers of HBK and Bret Hart.

Guest Plushy Al Logan

Dude, I think you have a good point about that. Sid shitting his pants had a domino affect on the carrers of HBK and Bret Hart.

So is Sid's shit some sort of Astrological sign now?

Holy shit. This analyzing of Sid's shit is AWESOME. Seriously.

Yeah, somehow it all makes sense now.

And isn't it some kind of unwritten rule around here that Sid shitting himself in the ring has to be brought up every so often?

Personally, I feel every lengthy essay on wrestling should end like this:

"...and in a nutshell, that was how Vince McMahon botched the Invasion angle, and sent wrestling into its current downward spiral littered with bad television.

And Sid shit his pants."

-Ben

Its one of those times that I wish Austin / Hart was for the title. Let Austin keep his RR win to go onto WM. Let Bret win at IYH: FF since Michaels bailed out anyway. And BOOM the best match on WM 13 with the gold on the line to make it mean a lot even more.

Just one of those dreams I have from time to time.

Guest The Real Nosferatu

It even works in letters.

P.S: Three Simple Words:Sid Shits Pants.

Hehehe...

In retrospect, it might have been a good thing that Austin injured his knee in the Final Four match. Having him win the title that night would've taken a lot of the mystique of him winning the belt and starting the "Austin Era" a year later.