TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Silence

Are there any good metal bands anymore?

I still love Sign of the Cross. That was a good album, I was just getting into them at the time so it's got kind of sentimental value. The special edition double CD of Best of the Beast still brings back memories.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Agent, I need some tracks of Sunn to sample before I go to plunk a bunch of money down for cd's in a few days.

Aide moi plaisir.

Although I think this is something you should just get, not knowing anything about it, here's the tracklist for their most recent release, White 1.

1. My Wall

2. The Gates of Ballard

3. A Shaving of the Horn that Speared You.

The effect is so much better when you just pop it in and hit play, then wait about a minute, and think to yourself, "What the fuck is happening right now? Where am I and what is this sound?"

Also, fair warning. Most people that hear these guys hate the shit out of them and get bored with it. It's completely unlike anything that anyone in the universe has ever listened to. The sound is solid, but there's actually a LOT going on underneath.

But back to their older stuff...Something Wicked This Way Comes is based on a comic book? You sure about that?

I meant The Dark Saga (Spawn) and I'm assuming Days of Purgatory (Purgatori)? Unless I'm wrong about the latter and it was an original character, but created for the album. I just assumed it was an obscure comic book I hadn't heard about. ;)

And yeah, X-Factor's very underrated, and is wisely based more around Blaze's voice rather than Blaze trying to be Bruce.

I dunno how much I like Ripper being in Iced Earth, though. I mean, the samples I heard were good, but I don't think I've ever heard Ripper go outside his whole "I wish I was Halford" singing style, whereas Barlow could do that if he felt like it, but he could do a number of other things too. 

I trust that Schaffer wouldn't hire some one not up to the task. So although I'm not sure, I'm expecting he's just what Jon was looking for.

Days of Purgatory is actually not based on a comic either - it's more just a collection of some older Iced Earth tunes that got re-mixed, re-recorded, etc.

But The Dark Saga is, and, as you may have noticed *points at avatar* it rules the fucking planet.

And hey, I'm sure that Schaffer is probably happy with what Ripper can do...but I dunno...something tells me that Ripper isn't capable of the same stuff that Barlow is.

Again though, I should wait to hear it before passing judgement...

Well, I hated Barlow's voice (just sounded like somebody with a stuffed noise trying to be Bruce Dickinson to me), and I dig THE RIPPER~!, so I'll probably dig a Priest mark jamming with the Maiden marks.