TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest webmasterofwrestlegame

JR & Austin on Byte This

Guest webmasterofwrestlegame

EDIT: that should read "interesting". Typing like an idiot today!

Source: 1wrestling.com

Email question: Rock & Hogan? “We certainly haven’t seen the last of the Rock.” He says that it won’t be as often as everyone would like, though. About Hogan he said to “never say never”, but right now there are no plans to bring back Hulk.

Email asking who in OVW is ready to come up. JR says 3 people are ready. Nick Dinsmore, Mike Bucci (aka Nova from Extreme Championship Wrestling), Nikita Fink(woman). They would be at the top of the list.

Email asking about getting into business as an announcer. JR says that you have to be a fan of the product, study the history of the business, college degree, get stuff on tape(practical experience.

Email asking when Jeff Hardy will return. They have not been communicating with Jeff for several months. “That would be up to Jeff Hardy.” JR goes on to say that they miss him.

JR said he “thoroughly enjoyed” the Lesnar/Angle Iron Man match on SmackDown! He praised Michael Cole and Tazz for calling the macth and said it got great ratings.

(4:10)-Call from Stephan from Philly who asks JR if he thinks he’ll win his match on RAW on Monday. He said that is his intention and his goal. JR said he will not be wearing tights.

Email from Mohammed in Las Vegas who asks what JR thinks about the Iron Man matches in WWE. Ross said it is hard to say one is better than the other. But they were all good matches where guys worked extra hard, and he’s a fan of them.

(6:10)-Call from Beth in Santa Anna who asks how it feels to help Austin write his book and when it’s coming out. Ross said it feels good to help him write it, especially he has been there for a lot of it. The book is called “The Stone Cold Truth” and will be out October 28th. He says Austin is “very upfront and honest” in the book. JR thinks ‘it’s as good a book that they’ve published as the first two Foley books.’

Email Matt from Auburn NY talent” JR goes into depth by saying that he is the Executive Vice President of Talent Relations. His department is in charge of Scouting, recruiting, signing, training then managing the talent roster with contractual issues, financial issues, their schedules. He compares his position to being the Personnel Director of NFL team.

Josh asks how many tapes a week the WWE gets of people trying to get into the company. JR says that Dr. Tom and his crew look at the tapes, then JR looks at the ones they bring him. Ross estimates a few dozen a week, a few hundred a month or so. He said some send their tapes every few weeks, that is persistency, and they admire that.

Email Donovan Syracuse, NY main event WMXX? JR doesn’t know. He said it depends who is healthy and hot by then. He mentions guys from SmackDown! and RAW. He also mentions John Cena, who he thinks will be a big star one day(I wholeheartedly agree!). Josh brings up that Cena said he will be headlining WMXX.

(9:50)-Email from Lee in London who asks if JR would like to see Hogan VS. Macho Man at WMXX. JR says, “Not really.”(If you watch this ep of Byte This for anything, watch it just for this question and Ross’ response. Fantastic.)

Email from Eddie of BC, Canada asks how JR came out with “Business is about to pick up” and “slobberknocker.” JR said “Business…” came to him one night. “Slobberknocker” is a term he heard in grade school, it’s a football term. He said the guys on ESPN are wearing it out. He warns(jokingly, I think) that is anyone plans on releasing any “slobberknocker” merchandise to beware because he and the WWE actually have “slobberknocker” trademarked.

(10:50)-Phone call Martin in England who asks when WWE plans on doing an international WM, RAW or SmackDown!? JR says that they would like to do it, it’s not a matter of that, though. It’s a matter of time zones, cable clearances, and maintaining that they want to be live. “It’s a high priority”, says JR.

(12:10)-Droz joins the show. They talk about JR and King losing the match at the PPV. Droz talks about being at the show in Philly this week. He said it was good. He enjoyed the Iron Man match. Again, they talk about his “Two Cents” column, so check it out if you want to know what Droz has to say. (19:10)-Droz leaves the show.

Call from Tori(?)from Cali who asks if RAW & SD! will combine again. JR says he thinks the brand extension is “here to stay.” He said sometime there maybe be a trade, but he think the shows will be come “more separate” as the shows go on.

Email asking about the Ross Report coming back. JR says that he gets asked it a lot, but it was “two-fold.” He would write it after SD! on Thurs. nights, and that kept him up until 2 or 3am. He said a lot of superstars got upset if they weren’t mentioned in the column. He doesn’t know if it is coming back in it’s old form. He said he proposed an idea to WWE.com where he would answer fans emails. He wants to do something with the fans, but don’t know what it will turn out being.

(22:00)-Tazz joins the show. JR and Tazz talk about college football for a little while. They talk about that nights SmackDown!. They talk about the Iron Man match. They talk about how hard it is to call an Iron Man match. JR asks if he can borrow the Tazzmission to use on Coach. JR said he’s not going to use his Hurricanrana, he’s saving it for WM. Josh mentions how last week at an MSG house show, Cena was badmouthing NYC and Tazz came out and gave put Cena in the Tazzmission. JR says that things like that are what WWE should do more, because it’s a surprise and a lot of fun. (33:45)-Tazz leaves the show.

Email from Jennifer of FL who asks what JR likes to do most about being in the business. Ross says that he’s a fan, so he has a passion of the product so he can relate to the fans. He enjoys the financial opportunities about his position. He said the luckiest day of his life is when he began in the business and now he lives his dream.

Phone call from Joe in Iowa who asks about why it took so long for Triple H to drop the title and if there was a better way to unmask Kane. (Wow, this guy totally broke kayfabe. This is one of the most real moments on the show. Let’s see how JR handles it.) JR says that some fans like the mystique of Kane with the mask, and some like him without it. He says he thinks that Kane has made some “huge steps forward” and that he is “stepping into the promised land.” About Triple H, it’s the “right place, right time.” He said he didn’t have a good answer about dropping it to Goldberg. (Okay, so JR pretty much didn’t say anything here. It was what I expected.)

(36:40)-Phone call from John in the US Army who asks about some rumor about bringing Bret Hart or Sting back. JR said he was in a meeting with Hart a few weeks ago, and he doesn’t think he doesn’t think he will ever wrestle again , especially since he is still recovering from his stroke. He would like to see Bret come back for a farewell tour where he can go to some cities and say some things to the fans. About Sting, he says he is a “good friend” but he doesn’t think he would want to work the schedule to where he would be a main eventer in the WWE. Ross says how Sting is happy working part-time, but right now WWE needs full-time workers.

A look back at April 28th ep of RAW where Linda McMahon named Stone Cold the Co-General Manager.

(43:35)Stone Cold joins the show. Stone Cold talks about his hectic schedule lately. Josh says the number one question is if Austin will wrestle again. Stone Cold says to never say never, but he doesn’t think he will ever be in the ring again. He said he wants some of the restraints taken off of him a Co-GM so that he can raise more hell on RAW. He said that it is a rough transition to go from headliner to co-GM, though. But his body is pretty shot but he wants to do what he can do. He said he is working on other opportunities like a camoflauge line, an apparel line, and he might have his own line of beer. He said he misses being in the ring but he said if he thought he wouldn’t jeopardize his health and that he wouldn’t look like a total joke and “if the zero’s were right”, he would consider it. JR quickly changes the subject to Stone Cold’s book. That Austin will be touring around promoting his book. Austin gives credit to Foley as a friend and as an author and hopes his book will be as good. He hopes people will enjoy it. JR says how it isn’t a book where Austin looks for pity. Austin said he didn’t think he’d have that much to talk about. JR said he is going to go along with Steve on some of the book signings because Austin eats good food.

-(52:00)JR talks about how he doesn’t want to use his dropkicks or lucha libre moves on Coach. Steve said that a ground attack would be good and that not many people know about Ross’ past working in Japan as a shootfighter. Steve said that Ross and Lawler are the best announcers of all-time. Ross talks about Gordon Solie being the best ever.

-(56:00)Josh mentions that Stone Cold will be on Hollywood Squares soon. He says he’s looking forward to it. He will being on Conan O’Brien and Howard Stern promoting the book also. Steve talks about looking forward to being on Stern. He joke that whenever he is on Stern, he is usually in the middle of a divorce and this time he isn’t. He said he likes going on Howard because there is no pre-interview, you just go out there and “shoot the breeze.” Ross sais that Howards caters the WWE audience. Ross keeps plugging that Amazon.com is pre-selling Stone Cold’s book.

-(58:00)Phone call from Joey from Boston who says he was at RAW when Austin returned and wondered what he thought about coing back as co-GM. Austin was nervous about fans accepting him in that role. He says he wishes he could be back in the ring but he’s just glad he can still be a part of the show.

-(59:05)Email from Christine of VA who asks of the newcomers on RAW & SD!, who are their favorites. JR says there are a lot of great talents. Ross mentions Cena, Orton, Garrison Cade, Mark Jindrak, and Maven. He says that you have to build for the future with younger guys. Austin says that he doesn’t watch SD! much, but Cena and Brock are good. He also says Orton, Jindrak, Cade, and Maven are good. He also likes Guerrero, Benoit, Rhyno and Edge.

-(1:02:10)Call from Lance Corp. Hernandez from CA who thanks Austin for his support for the guys in Iraq. Ross and Austin thank the troops.

-Email from Michael in NC who asks if Stone Cold is happy with the direction of the company. He says that he sometimes questions things. He gives his input and ideas. But he is pretty happy with the way the things are going. He says that the younger guys can’t rely on the writers though. They have to build themselves.

-Email from Chris in NY who asks about working with Bischoff after what happened with WCW. Austin says he talked to Bischoff and they cleared everything. Then he kicked his ass. He said he enjoys the chemistry with Bischoff and would like to do more stuff with him. Ross said he feels bad for the creative team because they are “damned if they do, damned if they don’t.”

-Austin says that StoneCold.com is under construction and he is hands-on involved with it. He will be writing a weekly diary. He will also be taking questions from fans.

-(1:09:35)Austin leaves the show.

Josh says they are unconfirmed but next week's show will have Goldberg and Lita on. Dr. Tom will be back, also.

~ well it looks like Rocky will be back at some point

~ Bret Hart closer than ever to a farewell tour?

Email question: Rock & Hogan? “We certainly haven’t seen the last of the Rock.” He says that it won’t be as often as everyone would like, though. About Hogan he said to “never say never”, but right now there are no plans to bring back Hulk.

Which means we'll see Hogan just in time for WM XX.

But he is pretty happy with the way the things are going. He says that the younger guys can’t rely on the writers though. They have to build themselves.

Oh, is that how it works? So if I'm a low/mid carder in WWE and the writers have nothing for me, I can just book my own programs, angles, and promo time?

"Hey Taker, would you mind shortening your entrance time for me? I need five minutes or so to cut a promo on Angle, who I'd like to feud with. Thanks, you're a real pal."

Guest thrall585

>>Email question: Rock & Hogan? “We certainly haven’t seen the last of the Rock.” He says that it won’t be as often as everyone would like, though. About Hogan he said to “never say never”, but right now there are no plans to bring back Hulk.

>Which means we'll see Hogan just in time for WM XX.

They were saying "never say never" about Hogan before Wrestlemania XVII too, and he didn't show. Its not a given he will show at Wrestlemania XX, and it is unlikely because Vince didn't put an emphasis on old stars returning at WMX (Hogan not showing for example) so it is likely he won't show an emphasis on old stars returning at WMXX.

Edited by thrall585

and it is unlikely because Vince didn't put an emphasis on old stars returning at WMX (Hogan not showing for example) so it is likely he won't show an emphasis on old stars returning at WMXX.

Hogan didn't show because he was on the verge of singing with WCW, or at least appearing on WCW Saturday Night in those interview segments with Gene Okerlund.

There were more than a few older generation WWF stars on hand at WrestleMania X, as I suspect there will be several more on hand at XX. I wouldn't count Hogan off the card - or at least off the PPV - until closer to time. At this point, everything is up in the air.

Guest JMA
Oh, is that how it works? So if I'm a low/mid carder in WWE and the writers have nothing for me, I can just book my own programs, angles, and promo time?

"Hey Taker, would you mind shortening your entrance time for me? I need five minutes or so to cut a promo on Angle, who I'd like to feud with. Thanks, you're a real pal."

I believe Austin was saying that you should try to get over yourself, and not rely on the writers.

Guest Mindless_Aggression

I dunno, seems like everytime an under card guy comes up with something to get himself over (Stevie on Sunday night heat for example) it gets killed.

Or, like Matt Hardy, you're doomed to wander the mid-card in a zombie-like state.

Seriously, what's the deal w/ Hardy? Comes up w/ a great character, improves his mic skills & wrestling, gets over, and the only meaningful thing he's down on SD is feud w/ Rey for the Cruiser belt. Missed the last PPV, and the one before that was only in the APA Bar Room Brawl. And it's not like he's a WCW buy-out guy, where it's an obvious bias against them. He's a "home-grown" guy.

And don't get me started on Kanyon...

I believe Austin was saying that you should try to get over yourself, and not rely on the writers.

Ok, but how do you do it?

The workers are completely at the mercy of writers and the bookers. If they don't give a worker any space on a show, be it a TV or house show, they're screwed. Even just wrestling well won't help you if you're booked in a two minute six man throwaway match. Who is going to notice you?

Bottom line is that in order to go from a nobody to a somebody, you have to get approval and assistance from management. Otherwise, you're not going anywhere.

Guest thrall585
Hogan didn't show because he was on the verge of singing with WCW, or at least appearing on WCW Saturday Night in those interview segments with Gene Okerlund.

There were more than a few older generation WWF stars on hand at WrestleMania X, as I suspect there will be several more on hand at XX. I wouldn't count Hogan off the card - or at least off the PPV - until closer to time. At this point, everything is up in the air.

Hogan signed with WCW on June 11, 1994, so he could have appeared at Wrestlemania X if he wanted to. He wasn't at Wrestlemania X to make a legends appearance, so he doesn't care about that, so he won't be at Wrestlemania XX, unless they offer him a match against Steve Austin.

Guest Dids
I have never once heard "slobberknocker" used on ESPN.

They have a segement that shows the best hits of the college games that's the "saturday slobberknockers".

I'd almost bet that Keith Jackson says it- and JR's whole schtick is kinda deriviative of Jackson.

Jeff Hardy back?

Yeah great, RAW was really hurting for someone who barely is awake, blowing moves left and right while covering everyone with glow paint.

Unless this is leading to a mic showdown between Warrior and Jeff, I think it would be better if they leave "the next Shawn Michaels" on the Indys.