TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kinetic

Bands you like hate that everyone else likes

Guest Kinetic

What bands get a lot of good press/word of mouth that you just detest?  Or bands that your friends all like and you don't understand why.

Personally, I think Sonic Youth is the most overrated band ever.  They have a select few passable albums, but most of their output has ranged from mediocre to absolutely unlistenable.

Guest redbaron51

I've always liked Dream Theater. No one else does because they aren't "popular"

seriously most of my friends don't like the music I listen to since its not popular.

Slipknot, Blink-182, Sum 41, Creed, POD, Nickelback, Puddle of Mudd, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit. I don't know why they like them. I tell them they are shit

Guest Mark4steamboat

personally...

Linkin Park- Nu-metal seems to be dying down thank god. i was really hoping for grunge to return but that seems hopeless.(sighs) Anyway, linkin park are just a mix of vocals with a turntable in the background. nothing special at all and i personally hate Chester's voice.

Creed- Most people love creed but i dont. i dont hate them but they are overplayed. "My sacrifice" wasnt bad when it was first used in the wwf desire videos but then it got on the radios and all over mtv. "My own prison" is an amazingly written piece of music and definitely their best work.

POD- overplayed, never liked them.

slipknot- 9 members in a band and half of them dont do shit. corey has an okay voice but i personally think they are just a bunch of dudes that didnt get what they wanted as children and are "angry" now.

Nickleback- their first album was better IMO. Their getting overplayed as well but i do like the band.

Guest Mark4steamboat

i agree about metallica. "i disappear" was ok but it is nothing like what they used to produce before they became too mainstream.

Guest saturnmark4life

A lot of my friends like new found glory. I just don't. I like to see creed videos but only cos they make me laugh so much. I cna't believe hat guy is taking himself seriously. I still like metallica. Lost Prophets are starting to piss me off, and everyone loves them right now.

Guest Mark4steamboat

Scott Stapp thinks he is Jesus. if you watch their videos, youll know what i mean.

Newfound glory- i cant stand them. Nor can i stand MxPx. IMO, NFG, and MxPx are just mall punk meaning that they their music sounds mainstream and too much about love and crap.

i doubt that we will never see another good punk rock band.

Guest swan
i agree about metallica. "i disappear" was ok but it is nothing like what they used to produce before they became too mainstream.

And what about Lars? His band was built on tape trading in the early 80's. IMO Napster and its clones can be considered tape trading in today's world. Personally if I download something and like it, I'll buy it legit in the store. Anything else, tough shit, release something good. Fuckin' bastard.

Guest Narcoleptic Jumper

Without a shadow of a doubt...

TOOL.

They are the MOST overrated band I've heard, IMO.

And coming up second, Metallica.

Guest dreamer420

I don't like Slipknot.  Actually neither does anyone else that I know.

Jimi Hendrix

Aside from his cover of "All Along the Watchtower," I don't like anything else he does.

Most current music

I don't listen to it unless I have to. About the only group I can name (because I've been told they played whatever it was I had to listen to) is Widespread Panic. Yecch.

Guest Perfect_Bo

What the fuck is soo special about Linkin Park?  I mean, it's not like it's new, that shit has been done before...  The rapper is alright, but I've seen better, shit, I'm better...

Ok, I listen to rap, just like most of my peoples do in NYC...  What the fuck is their love for NELLY...  Am I the only one that think he sucks?  Damn it, he cant rhyme...

Well, thats me..

B "Still hating Nelly cause he sucks" O

Guest Kinetic
Ok, I listen to rap, just like most of my peoples do in NYC...  What the fuck is their love for NELLY...  Am I the only one that think he sucks?  Damn it, he cant rhyme...

Not to mention his obnoxious sing-songy delivery and the fact that he wears a band-aid on his face for no apparent reason.  It was cool when Morrissey wore them on his nipples.  That's fine.  But Nelly is no Morrissey and there's simply no excuse for something that ridiculous.

Guest starvenger

My pick is Creed.  For pretty much the reasons that all of you hate them for.

And, of course, Britney Spears.  I'm pretty sure this requires no explanation.

Guest redbaron51

TOOL.

My Gawd!? Tool overrated? Ha.

For what they sound like on a CD and what they do on music videos, are simply an excellent band.

Since I've seen Tool live, I can tell you that Tool is not overrated.

Guest WarMachine

I suppose I'll have to say all the hardcore music fans' favorites, or should that be most hated?

Strangely, I liked a few of these bands before my tastes deepened, and I saw "finally" them for the shit they were.

Linkin Park - Their fans say that what they're doing is revolutionary, when it's been done before, or at least attempted to be done. The rapper dude in the band sucks, and Chester plain annoys the fuck out of me. Shit, from the way I hear it he wasn't even a member until their record company decided that something was missing...hence Chester became involved. All in all, I've only come to like a select couple of songs from the album...these days I can't even sit through a full listening session without feeling like I have to throw my stereo against the wall.

Creed - Without a doubt, "My Own Prison" was their best. These days, they seem too self-important for their own good. As referenced earlier on by Mark4steamboat, Stapps seems like he's aiming for mannerisms which match that of Jesus.

Slipknot - Admittedly they've dropped a bit in popularity since their S/t, but still. 9 members in a band, half of them don't do shit, and when they do it all comes together to sound like a giant orgy of clusterfuck. The most gimmicky thing you could have with the masks. Some fans say "you don't even get the idea of the masks". Well, the masks were to create an image, along with ripping off Mushroomhead, whom BTW was years in the making and was wearing the masks long ago, before Roadrunner decided to have their very own version of them. Corey's voice is ok, at least.

Drowning Pool - Ugh. Next.

Nelly - Definitely. A name brought up earlier in the thread, he annoys me so. The layers of clothes, sometimes backwards. It didn't work for Kriss Kross, what makes Nelly think it'll work for him. The bandaid on his face, for no apparent reason. And like most other annoying rappers, he has his own little clique which he shoves down everyone's throats in the St. Lunatics. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

And Limp Bizkit - 'Nuff said.

That's enough bitching.

Guest saturnmark4life

i'm honestly not the world's biggest slipknot hater by any stretch, and they did have the masks YEARS after mushroomhead (who are much better) but Mr. Bungle were the first band to really have the whole 'mask' thing.

Guest Anorak

Linkin Park: Nu-metal boy band. Try to hard to do the 'angsty' young man thing and come off as lightweight musically.

Jay Z: Most overrated rapper of recent times. Lazy and disposable.

The Smiths: Most of their stuff has dated pretty badly and they would simply be ignored if they were around today. Morrissey was a bad poet with a bad haircut. I don't really hate them that much but i'm just a bit baffled by their revered status.

Stereolab: This band i DO hate. Pretentious and tiresome. I was convinced they were some kind of ironic 'joke' of a band as they seemed a walking cliche of avant-garde alternative 'muzak' that was devoid of interesting ideas as it was of a good tune. You could have imagined them on an indie version of the Fast Shows 'Jazz Club'.

Led Zepellin: I'm aware of the hypocrisy of hating a band who influenced a lot of music i like but Led Zep must be the most overrated rock band of all time in critical terms. Their hard rock stuff is a dull leaden thump with annoyingly wanky solo's thrown in for the sake of it. The folky and bluesy stuff is unmoving or unexiting. Having a 'distinctive' or 'influential' sound or image does not automatically qualify you as being particulary gifted songwriters. Sabbath could create a song with more atmosphere in only a couple of notes.

Guest redbaron51
Led Zepellin: I'm aware of the hypocrisy of hating a band who influenced a lot of music i like but Led Zep must be the most overrated rock band of all time in critical terms. Their hard rock stuff is a dull leaden thump with annoyingly wanky solo's thrown in for the sake of it. The folky and bluesy stuff is unmoving or unexiting. Having a 'distinctive' or 'influential' sound or image does not automatically qualify you as being particulary gifted songwriters. Sabbath could create a song with more atmosphere in only a couple of notes.

That is what happens when you let Jimmy Page be the producer of all the albums. If John Paul Jones was producing, Zepplin could have been better than what they are.

And I don't get why people think Stairway to Heaven is the best solo ever.

Guest Kinetic
The Smiths: Most of their stuff has dated pretty badly and they would simply be ignored if they were around today. Morrissey was a bad poet with a bad haircut. I don't really hate them that much but i'm just a bit baffled by their revered status.

Unthinkable.  Morrissey is a good poet with a bad haircut, I'll have you know.  I'm waving my "The Queen Is Dead" t-shirt in outrage as we speak.

Guest The Fett

I'm really don't like any of these emo bands that everyone drools over like Jimmy Eat World and Weezer. I've tried but I just can't get into their music. I also hate Sum 21, Blink 182, and pretty much any punk rock band.

Guest TheyCallMeMark

TESTIFY, BROTHER!

And yes, Tool indeed does suck. Maynard (who the group is based around because it's a band of very ho-hum musicians whom need to be saved by a gimmick) tries to appeal to the disturbed, angry, suicidal etc. teenagers who like things that are "disturbing". What's disturbing? The video's of course! And the lyrics! I think... because I can't really understand a word he's singing... and when I do, it doesn't make sense because Maynard writes complicated lyrics so he can make it seem like his songs have substance. Really, the band's sucsess is largly because fruity teenagers think the video's are cool, and listening to Maynard use words with more than three syllables and pretending to understand makes them feel smart. That doesn't really make the MUSIC good, does it?

No.

Guest hardyz1

I agree about Tool.

I'm one of the people who like Linkin Park, and, to tell you the truth, I really can't explain why.  It just grabbed me(in a nonsexual way, of course).  I'm anxious to hear what their second album is like.

Guest hobu0

Its cool if you guys don't like a band, but don't say innaccurate shit about them. Its pretty obvious you know nothing about Tool. A "ho-hum" drummer eh? Wow. One of the members of the band works in like special effects productions and shit like that, which is why they make all those whacked out videos. He's a creative guy who likes to be artsy for the hell of it. And Tool are more tongue in cheek than you think. Try to just state an opinion next time, instead of stating an opinion, then backing it up with bizarre, made up "facts"

Guest Mark4steamboat

My thoughts on tool:

Personally, they are one of the best hard rock bands of the 90s. Aenima is one of the best cds of the 90s and a perfect introduction to tool. Their live shows are awesome and very well worth the price of admission. i caught them in atlanta with a perfect circle and its the best show ive ever been to.

lateralus was for the most part an alright cd. it was going to be hard to follow up Aenima but tool gave it their best show. I loved schism when it first came out and it has an extraordinary video. Lateralus is a good song and their next release from the disc, Parabola, is alright. My personal fave on that cd is Ticks and Leeches(song 8) Awesome drum part but maynards voice gets a tad bit irratating.

Guest Red Hot Thumbtack In The Eye

in my opinion people are wrong for enjoying the following

linking park

creed

korn

limp bizkit

nickelback

ah fuck basically all the nu metal bullshit and watered down fake rock out there right now...there are very few strong bands out there

tool's newest album is hit or miss imo...Sometimes it hits and sometimes not...not one id giving a glowing recommendation to...

Guest El Satanico

Now i personally don't like Tool but i wouldn't go as far to claim that they are a terrible band. They aren't a bad band at all i just personally dislike them. But the funny thing is that i liked A Perfect Circle but dislike Tool when they are only slightly different and have the same lead singer.

Guest Vyce

Limp Bizkit.

Korn.

Rage Against The Machine (I know, shocking to some of you).

Jay-Z.

Puff Daddy / P Diddy

Moby.

Kid Rock.

The list goes on, but those are among my top least favorites.

TOOL.

Oh, I so totally disagree.

Tool is, IMO, one of the best bands in existence today.  They're incredible live performers as well.

And you're confusing Maynard's writing ability....he doesn't write complicated songs to make them *seem* like they have substance, he writes them because they DO have substance and because he's a very talented, intelligent songwriter.

While Fred Durst is trying to rap his way through a bad nu-metal song, Maynard is singing lyrics that are filled with allusions to Greek tragedies and metaphysics.

Guest goodhelmet

System of A Down

Could someone please tell me what is so great about these guys? Seriously. I've tried listening to their music and it bores me to tears.

Guest redbaron51

Well if your listening to Toxicity then you haven't really listened to there self titled album, which is completly different.

I think SOAD is popular because its different from the bands that are popular right now. Some of the lyrics are really meaningful or really pathetic.

To the guy who said what Linkin Park's new album will be, well to be honest, the new album is a remix of Hybrid Theory which is sad...