TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steve J. Rogers

Another A's collapse

Granted no Mulder and Hudson's alleged stupidity knocked him out of Game 4, but when Chavez and Tejada fail to do anything, especially off of the Sox pen, it shows you that this team just can't get over that hump.

4 straight years, 9 straight elimination games, 0-9

Right now I can't think of any other pro-sports franchise to be this bad in the postseason

Granted no Mulder and Hudson's alleged stupidity knocked him out of Game 4, but when Chavez and Tejada fail to do anything, especially off of the Sox pen, it shows you that this team just can't get over that hump.

Right now I can't think of any other pro-sports franchise to be this bad in the postseason

Well, the Houston Astros were 2-12 in their little "4 division titles in 5 years" run a while back, including 1-3 with RANDY JOHNSON on the mound TWICE (1998).

That's pretty awful, in my book.

Well, the Houston Astros were 2-12 in their little "4 division titles in 5 years" run a while back, including 1-3 with RANDY JOHNSON on the mound TWICE (1998).

That's pretty awful, in my book.

I was going for being right there, ready to move on, champagne on ice and then WHAM drop two or three in a row, or getting a split and still losing the series! Not get in and get punked out in 4 or 3 game sweep

I was going for being right there, ready to move on, champagne on ice and then WHAM drop two or three in a row, or getting a split and still losing the series! Not get in and get punked out in 4 or 3 game sweep

Oh, well, in that case, yes I agree that the A's are the worst postseason team in recent memory.

Guest Choken One

Didn't the Jazz go like 4 years with failing to win the damn thing like Oakland?

Guest TDinDC1112
Didn't the Jazz go like 4 years with failing to win the damn thing like Oakland?

The Jazz won plenty of playoff series though. The A's can't seem to win even a series.

Guest Salacious Crumb

At least your team's made the playoffs more than once in the last 10 yrs.

Billy Beane:

"I'll tell you what," Beane said. "If you want to give us $50 million more, I'll promise you we won't blow that 2-0 lead. Our guys battled their rear ends off. If you guys want to make an issue of it, so be it."

Well, if I recall correctly, someone was willing to just this past offseason, and you blew them off... How's that working out for you, Funnyball?

*crotch chop*

He should be spending part of that $50 million on a baserunning coach ... hey, Tejada & Byrnes, you know that little 5-sided thing that you stand next to while batting? You have to touch that for the run to count. Just a reminder.

Really, its just really bad luck. The A's were one damned hit away from advancing. Last year they won by one run as well.

This is old history, but the Brooklyn Dodgers lost 7 World Series before they finally beat the Yankees.

The Astros are the worst. 0-7 in career playoff series.

Yes before the last four years since MLB went the divisional format the A's had won at least one series in six of their nine playoff appearances.

Really, its just really bad luck. The A's were one damned hit away from advancing. Last year they won by one run as well.

This is old history, but the Brooklyn Dodgers lost 7 World Series before they finally beat the Yankees.

They were one hit or one bullshit call, or one healthy starting pitcher away from advancing.

Oh well there is always next season :(

Next season? With no Tejeda or Long (probably)? With so much player distrust in Macha?

Maybe there's always next year if you switch to the Giants?

Yah, cause the Giants are just so used to winning!?! Bwahahaha. You better hope Bonds plays another 20 years.

Bwa ha ha ha

Bonds is done this year I've been hearing? Do you think he'll retire? Is his contract up? He should go to the AL and be the DH...

Where did you hear this? Did the story report Bonds said he was done or thinking about i, or was it just speculation?

I see another 2 years for Bonds. I think he wants to pass Babe Ruth.

The Giants GM announced they plan to cut payroll by $15 million next year.

Now Bonds' salary is listed at $16 million next year but $5 million of that is deferred making his salary $11 million. But when he signed this contract he got a signing bonus of $10 million which $4 million of is paid in 2004 bringing the money he will earn next year to $15 million. Hmmmm.

Okay ya probably means nothing because baseball contracts are guarenteed and since there are other ways to cut payroll but that's an interesting coincidence there. One thing in his contract also is it can be voided after 2005 if he doesn't have a certain number of plate appearances so they wouldn't be on the hook for $18 million he'd earn in 2006 if he did retire before then. They will be on the hook for $20 million in 2005 though no matter what unless they reach some sort of settlement. Actually that $20 million figure in 2005 is probably why they need to cut payroll.

It was speculation. There were stories out right after his father died that the emotional toll was too much for him, and he was considering hanging it up. I hope he doesn't though.