TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest JerryDrake

Barry bonds prediction

Guest JerryDrake

How many homeruns well this guy hit this season? He already has a headstart with 4, my prediction he might hit 80.

He is an amazing player.

Guest MoneyIvezaj

I'm going with 68. I think this chase will get more mainstream attenten than last years.

Guest Anteater

If it wasn't for Bonds' offseason training partner belting them everywhere, too, I might have serious questions about Bonds. It's got to be the water-downed pitching overall, but Bonds and Sheff are just pure monsters in their own way; either on pure size and strenght (Bonds) or unGODLY bat speed and some good strength (Sheff).

However, before anyone throws out ludicrous numbers (like 80), remember that its the first week, and it seems to take pitchers a lot longer to settle down. And when Bonds smacked 73 last year, it was the greatest offensive season in history. EVER. I just can't see anyone repeating that, at least so soon. I see Bonds with a bunch, but no way does he get 73.

Guest Some Guy

I think he'll hit about 50 or so.  Bonds is arguably the best player in the last 10 years but last year his #s were so abnormally high for his career.  He hit 49 homers in 2000 and that was his record, then he jumped to 73!  I actually hope he doesn't hit 74 because records don't mean anything when they are broken every year, I hope this lasts for 20-30 years.

Guest DragonflyKid

I say he hits 65-75. Being someone who got to see the Giants play on a local station as well as Fox sports bay area last year I'm looking forward to another season even though I am an A's fan. In my opinion it's more than just dilluted pitching. Bonds has hit his peak physically and mentally at the same time, before last season he worked out hard gaining muscle mass and strenght, that combined with his experience made for a great season and hopefully another one this year.

Guest Kahran Ramsus

I say 67.  Pac Bell is just too much of a pitcher's park for him to hit 73 again, but he is mighty talented.

Guest Smues

35 going into the all-star game. Then clemens beans him shattering his hand taking him out for the season, then he charges the mound and injures Clemons taking him out for the rest of the season. A win win situation.

Guest JerryDrake
35 going into the all-star game. Then clemens beans him shattering his hand taking him out for the season, then he charges the mound and injures Clemons taking him out for the rest of the season. A win win situation.

Why you hating on Bonds?

Guest Zoltan

I think Bonds is the greatest player in the modern era and he reaches about 68 this year because he is just a great player and he reaches at least 135 walks.

I believe he will get hurt, go into a long slump, or simply won't get anything to hit if he keeps close to this pace.  If I was a pitcher, I wouldn't give him anything great to hit.

Guest alkeiper

Problem is, if you're a pitcher, its hard to hit the right spot every time from 60 ft. away.  Eventually you're either going to walk him, or give up a hit.

Guest El Satanico

I say that Mr. Bond...s will hit the easily obtainable number of...

wait for it

He won't see anything great to hit anymore, not after his torrid start.  Honestly, I'd be surprised to see him get in the 70's again.  I'll go with.. 64.

Guest DrTom

Of course, he's not going to get many good pitches to hit.  That's the intent, at least.  But since ML pitching is so thin right now, pitchers are going to make mistakes, and hitters like Bonds kill mistakes to the tune of 450 feet or so.

He's not going to break his record, but he'll chase it, and end up with...

Guest hardyz1
66 Homeruns for Mr. Bonds

Sammy with 74

Sammy has to break it one of these years, if not this year.

Here's something amazing.  Sammy's last 4 years' HR totals:

1998: 66

1999: 63

2000: 50

2001: 64

And the only year he led the league was 2000.

Guest ajc

I'm gonna call an even 50 for Barry Lamar Bonds.  He's battled injuries for each of the last few years (save for last year) and it wouldn't surprise me to see him go down at some point this year.  Still, 75-80% of Barry is still better than most hitters in this league.

Guest goodhelmet

I would go with 56. A part of me still likes to think the pitching isn't diluted, the balls aren't juiced and the ballparks aren't smaller but that's just wishful thinking. Does anyone recall when 50 homeruns was a serious achievement?

Guest DrTom

"Does anyone recall when 50 homeruns was a serious achievement?"

Absolutely.  I remember when Cecil Fielder was chasing 50 for Detroit ('89, I think) -- more than one announcer said that not only would he not hit 50, that no one would ever hit 50 again.  A dozen years later, and Maris' formerly unreachable milestone has been broken numerous times, with two new records in the books.

Around that same time, ('82-'91 sounds right), Cal Ripken and Tom Brunansky were the only two players to hit 20 HR in 10 straight seasons.  While that kind of consistency is good, 20 homers was the average in the AL last season among all players who qualified for the batting title.  The average.

I just wonder how long 73 will stand up.

Guest JerryDrake
I say that Mr. Bond...s will hit the easily obtainable number of...

LOL i only put Mr. Bond cus the stupid thing would not let me fit anymore :angry:

Guest Marius714

I like the 56 Hrs that someone else predicted. Barry is freaking awesome and is gonna clobber any decent pitch but I think he will break the walk record again this year. I did a little pitching in my day and tell you what I'd walk or bean Barry every time I saw him. No way he'd beat me, I'd make someone else be the hero.

Disclaimer) Of course beaning Barry might not be the smartest thing for a pitcher to do. Probably best to walk him, LOL

Guest DrTom

"... I'd walk or bean Barry every time I saw him."

I'm sure the Giants wouldn't bum-rush you and kick the shit out of you for consistently beaning him, either... :P

Guest Choken One

Barry Bonds is the best player today, no questions asked. 73 is a an ungodly number and I've always loved Barry Bonds, even back in the Pittsburgh days. 73 won't be touched this year but I'll settle him at 57...however his Walk record of 180?(Not sure about that) will be crushed with 190.

Guest Marius714

Whats up Doc?

You think the Giants might not care for me beaning BB? I seriously think he'll break the walk record again and as a pitcher I'd walk him on four straight every time. He can go down to first and let someone else carry the team.

Guest alkeiper

Walking him every time and giving the Giants a hitter with an OBP of 1.000 would do far more damage then actually pitching to him.  Remember the Astros series?  They got destroyed, because they kept walking Bonds and giving the Giants a baserunner to drive in.

I think Him and Jeff Kent will hop on some motorcycles then join the circus to peform in the ball of death.