19 (TIE) Cincinnati (17-12)

19 (TIE) Notre Dame (24-10)

21 Wake Forest (25-6)

22 Pittsburgh (28-5)

23 Marquette (27-6)

24 Oklahoma State (22-10)

25 Maryland (21-10)

---

Duke is kinda high I think, and Im surprised Maryland is even in the rankings, but at #25 they almost didn't make it so whatever.

this is definately a rebuilding year for Maryland. Chris Wilcox leaving the program the year after they won the championship hurt a lot because MD had a good enough team that WITH Wilcox last season they would have had a good chance to win it all, and it also would have bought the scouts another year to recruit for the rebuilding year while still having a decent team. We'll see how they do, I know they had a couple of good freshman on last year's squad.

Guest Salacious Crumb

How the hell is Cinncy even in the top 25 with the shitty season they had last year?

I'm afraid Stanford might be overrated but they weren't supposed to be good last year and they return almost the same team that won 24 games. Mike Montgomery will just have to keep working his magic.

It NEVER matters what kind of talent Duke has; they get ranked in the Top 5 in the first poll regardless of how they finished the previous year, or who exactly they have coming back. Damn near every freshman Coach K recruits is some sort of basketball god, and is hyped incessantly as such. I get sick of it.

If Duke ends up being a really great team this year, then I will be more than happy to come back here and eat my words then. Until that day, however, Duke is overrated, as usual.

Duke is to college basketball what Notre Dame is to college football - at the first sign that they might have any sniff of success in a given year, they're immediately pushed high up the polls and forced down our throats.

Personally, I think there should be no polls in any college sports until at least 4 weeks of a season has gone by.

(NOTE: I might be biased, given my own personal disdain for both programs I mentioned.)

So it's more a matter of you not likely Duke. Which is a superior program to Notre Dame.

As for polls. It doesn't matter with College Basketball. The season is so long, you'll lose games and still make the tourney.