TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest BobBacklundRules

WCW/nWo World Tour

Guest BobBacklundRules

A while ago I dusted off the old 64 so I could re-buy No Mercy, since I had sold all my games a while back to finance my Gamecube.

I was walking through a video update when I saw WCW/nWo World Tour. I remembered it was somewhat like No Mercy when I had rented it years ago. So I bought it for $4.

Here are my questions:

Was this game underrated when it came out? I thoroughly enjoy it now and I don't remember it being a big deal back then.

And who are the non-WCW/nWo wrestlers in the game, I know one is meant to be Hayabusa and another resembles Abdullah the Butcher, but I can’t figure out who the others are if they are anyone.

Oh my god, did that game rule.

That was the first game using what became known as the "No Mercy engine." Sure, compared to later versions, it probably seems primative now, but at the time, that game was LIGHT YEARS ahead of any other WWF or WCW games.

My buddies and I wasted HOURS on 4-man elimination battle royales. Great multiplayer fun. Definitely a good game, especially considering the excellent tradition of wrestling titles it started.

I And who are the non-WCW/nWo wrestlers in the game, I know one is meant to be Hayabusa and another resembles Abdullah the Butcher, but I can’t figure out who the others are if they are anyone.

From GameFaqs:

Dead Or Alive (DOA)

Row 1: Sumo Jo (Genichiro Tenryu)

Kim Chee (Koji Kitao)

Blackheart (Tarzan Goto)

Puchteca (Atsushi Onita)

Row 2: Hannibal (Hayabusa)

Powder Keg (Terry "Bamm Bamm" Gordy)

Dim Sum (Gedo)

Saladin (Abdullah The Butcher)

Row 3: Ali Baba (The Original Sheik)

Wrath -- hidden

Independent Union (IU)

Row 1: Black Ninja (The Great Sasuke)

Shaolin (Jinsei "Hakushi" Shinzaki)

The Unknown (Super Delfin)

The Claw (Gran Naniwa)

Row 2: Black Belt (TAKA Michinoku)

Paco Loco (Dick Togo & Men's Teioh)

Shaman (Wellington Williams Jr.)

Master Fuji (El Gran Hamada)

Row 3: Glacier -- hidden

Whole World Wrestling (WWW) -- hidden

Row 1: Joe Bruiser -- hidden

Row 2: Black Widow (Manami Toyota) -- hidden

Oh my god, did that game rule.

That was the first game using what became known as the "No Mercy engine." Sure, compared to later versions, it probably seems primative now, but at the time, that game was LIGHT YEARS ahead of any other WWF or WCW games.

My buddies and I wasted HOURS on 4-man elimination battle royales. Great multiplayer fun. Definitely a good game, especially considering the excellent tradition of wrestling titles it started.

I hear you man. Me and my cousins would spend forever playing the four way battle royals on World Tour and every subsequent AKI game (Revenge, WM2000, No Mercy).. and to be honest, I haven't had that much playing a wrestling game... until HCTP, that is.

While we're at it, one thing that I hate about the modern wrestling game is that you can't have a "pinning Royal Rumble," as I call them. You know, set up 4 to 40 guys, turn off over the top eliminations, have the ring fill up, and every time someone is pinned, the next wrestler makes his way down. That was a good time passer.

While we're at it, one thing that I hate about the modern wrestling game is that you can't have a "pinning Royal Rumble," as I call them. You know, set up 4 to 40 guys, turn off over the top eliminations, have the ring fill up, and every time someone is pinned, the next wrestler makes his way down. That was a good time passer.

Damn right it was.

This was the last game to have Elimination Tag matches, something sadly dropped in te 3 sequels and only now returning to the recent SmackDown! games (besides Attitude, of course).

World Tour had alot of small details that were dropped for the later games

For example:

When a smaller guy had a Special and was knocked down. He Knipped back Up (Small but awesome detail)

The WCW Vs. nWo endurance mode (was in VPW2 but none of the US games)

Round Robin Mode

The Crowd clapped japanese style instead of cheering

The 2-Out Rule in Tag Matches

Multi Non Special Top Rope Moves

Great features that should have never been taken out.

How about the fact that The Giant had a lightweight reversal (kip up-somersault) for an armbar? The developers must have put that on him for a gag to see how it looked, then forgot to change it back.

I loved this game. I remember getting blazed with my friends and playing this game for hours on end without getting bored at all. My favorite part was how the audience would actually BOO when you used a weapon, as opposed to cheering (a la No Mercy).

Guest Coffey

My friends used to get pissed at me when we played World Tour. I would pick Kevin Nash every time. Then, just Irish Whip your opponent. Leap Frog them over and over until you get a special (because once your whip them, they can no longer reverse). Four Nashknife Lazybombs later the match was over.

Fun times.

Guest Markingout

^^^^^^^

LOL,man I would of gotten pissed.

I always remember playing World Tour. I used too love the Independent Union arena because of the wood on the floor. I always thought that look sweet.

I loved though 4ways too. I remember playing as Ultimo Dragon all the time,and eliminations them always with a leg lock. It was awesome.

Another fun thing about the WCW AKI games, was that pushing the Stick got you out of pins no matter what.

I remember playing with friend who had no idea about the stick trick, And I kept kicking out of everything and pissing him off.. "How the hell did you kick out of 3 Razor's Edges? you should be dead right now" ah good times.

I notice that there a few controller changes from WCW/nWo to Revenge, like C-Up was pin, and some other little touches.

And yes, Regal was in the game as well, me and my buddy was always Regal and Flair....great times

Guest FrigidSoul
My friends used to get pissed at me when we played World Tour. I would pick Kevin Nash every time. Then, just Irish Whip your opponent. Leap Frog them over and over until you get a special (because once your whip them, they can no longer reverse). Four Nashknife Lazybombs later the match was over.

Fun times.

If you hit the shoulder buttons at the right time you could underhook your arms in the rope or you would do that weird roll.

During a juncture of my life when depression led to me being homeschooled World Tour and Mario Kart 64 were my life. I would play them whilst listening to old CCR records.

I used to play this all the time until Revenge came out, and I still haven't played a wrestling game this much since.

We use to have constant WCW vs. NWO battles with Flair, Eddy, Benoit, Malenko & Misterio vs. Hogan, Nash, Hall, Syxx & 'Sting'. We would always fight over who would get stuck with the terrible NWO guys.

this has a special place with me, i remember seeing it playin at a store near my house all the time thinking how awesome it looked.

One day i just went there with my mom and she bought me a N64 and the game just like that, oh man best day ever.

i agree the wood in the Indy arena looked greatm it had a ECW-ish feel to it

and why didn't Revenge have Flair in the roster??

Guest Coffey

If you hit the shoulder buttons at the right time you could underhook your arms in the rope or you would do that weird roll.

Not after you hit the ropes for the first time. If they make it back to you and you successfully leap frog them, it's over.

Well, unless they break your grapple on the special.

and why didn't Revenge have Flair in the roster??

I think he was having contract problems during that time or something.

Right...the game's roster was finalized in early August of '98 and Flair didn't come back until 1 month later. Same reason why the WARRIOR isn't in it.

Guest XxSmashxXxHeadxX

I love that game. I used to always play it over my cousins house..... great game in my opinion.