TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Bobby Abreu, Underachiever?

Some fans in Philly have soured on Bobby Abreu, calling him an underachiever, and accusing him of not living up to his potential. I think they're wrong. One of the great things about baseball-reference.com is that it uses a statistical tool to determine statistically similar players. I looked up Bobby Abreu, and found an interesting comparison. I won't tell you who it is yet, but I'll run numbers here for player A(breu), and player B. I apologize in advance for formatting problems.

AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB K BA/OBP/SLG

A 3566 631 1091 250 40 136 569 170 64 635 793 306/409/513

B 3678 638 1096 213 38 126 566 97 56 495 584 298/380/479

I'd call them fairly similar players, with Abreu having a slight edge in rates. So who is the mystery player? It's Bernie Williams, at age 29. Basically, the Phillies have Bernie Williams in right field, and some fans want to replace him. Why?

Well, he does have 209 more K's in 112 less AB's than Bernie.

He's an OK player, but they can certainly upgrade if they're willing to spend the money (Vlad! Vlad! Vlad!). I really don't remember Abreu doing anything of note the last few weeks of the season as the Phillies were slipping out of wildcard contention.

I'm not holding my breath on Guerrero. I think the Phillies are solid. What they really need are solid players to plug a rotation slot, the pen, and maybe a hitter/corner outfielder in case Burrell doesn't rebound.

Is Bernie Williams making 12 mil a year?

As I have said before, I have no problem with Abreu now. I have accepted the fact he is going to be a good-very good OF. I can understand, though, the people who still hold onto the idea that Abreu will be an elite play and why they think he underachieves.

Guest FrigidSoul

How they can hate on Abreau more than Burrell still astounds me. At least Abreau actually showed up for the season...Burrell just plain sucked.

How they can hate on Abreau more than Burrell still astounds me. At least Abreau actually showed up for the season...Burrell just plain sucked.

Burrell had more HR's than Abreu (21 to 20).

I also loathe when Abreu faces lefties. They keep throwing the breaking ball low & away, and Abreu keeps fishing for it.

Bernie makes $12 Million a year because the market was higher at the time of his contract, and the Red Sox were very interested in signing him, so the Yankees felt pressured to keep him.

As for the playoffs, Williams hit about the same as he does in the regular season.