TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Frank Zappa Mask

Olympic hockey~!

Guest Frank Zappa Mask

Next to playoff hockey, it's the most wonderful time to be alive.  Who's gonna win the gold?  Not the U.S!!  Be as patriotic as you want, but that's gonna be shit against the onslaught of talent that is Mother Russia, the win-or-die spirit of Canada, and the brick wall that is DOMINIK HASEK~!  I see Russia taking the gold, Czech Republic with the silver, and Canada taking the bronze as all of Canada perishes in a mass suicide.  It's OLYMPIC HOCKEY~!, and there is nothing like it...

Your thoughts.....

Guest Kahran Ramsus

I would like to see Canada get Gold, but Lindros is a cancer and always finds a way to lose.  

1st Place - Russia

2nd Place - Canada

3rd Place - Czech Republic

Guest DrTom

Hockey's probably the only sport I'll be able to stomach at the Olympics.  Not that I'm not a fan of the NHL game, but the wider rink, lack of emphasis on violence, and increased need for skills makes Olympic hockey amazing to watch.

Guest theWCWRaider

I agree with Dr. Tom, if I'm gonna watch any of the Olympics its going to be hockey.

As far as who takes the gold, so what if its not the United States, I mean us losing will have no negative affect on me as a person, nor would us winning the gold.

Its not a source of national pride IMO.

Guest Don Becker

I guess I'm the only one who gives Sweden a chance to medal, huh?  They're a strong defensive team, and have a goalie who not only has already won gold, but is very good at rising to the occasion.  If anything, I see the Swedes taking bronze, leaving the following:

Gold: Czech Republic

Silver: Russia

Bronze: Sweden

...meaning that this'll be the last year Bettman sends NHL players to the Olympics, since it'll be the second time North America gets pantsed.

Guest Shaved Bear

call me an idiot but here are my calls:

G:Canada (waaaaaay too much depth)

S:Czech (Hasek, Jagr and a buch of names i cant spell)

B:Russia (they have to be there)

But then again, anyone remember 1980?????

LOOK HOW CLOSE I WAS!!!!!!!

Guest CanadianChris

The Canadian team is starting to worry me...the goalies haven't been spectacular at all this year (especially Brodeur), and there are a LOT of guys on that team with current or recent injuries.  Nolan, Smyth and Yzerman may not even play.  Lindros is always a question mark.  Lemieux may have back problems toward the end of the tournament.  And Fleury...well, he's just nuts.

I see the Russians winning this thing, with Khabibulin probably emerging as the world's top goaltender.  Czechs take second, and either Canada or Sweden takes third.

Guest Brooding Genius

I think I'm the only one who has the American team penciled in for a medal.

Gold: Russia

Silver: United States

Bronze: Canada

Guest RevEvil
call me an idiot but here are my calls:

G:Canada (waaaaaay too much depth)

S:Czech (Hasek, Jagr and a buch of names i cant spell)

B:Russia (they have to be there)

But then again, anyone remember 1980?????

or 1960

Guest General Failure

A few of Canada's forwards may be hurting, but defense is more or less healthy, and it is by far the best in the tournament.  A Blake/Pronger pairing is unbelievably dangerous, as both (especially Pronger) can make the long pass to our fast forwards (especially without a 2 line pass offside) and Blake can join the rush and score effectively.  Niedermayer and Foote are both about as fundamentally sound as defensemen get. Throw in McInnis and his killer slap shot and one of Eric Brewer or Ed Jovanovski as the third pairing, and it is the best defense in the tournament, beating everybody by leaps and bounds.  The American's geriatric defense doesn't even come close.  The Czech defense begins and ends with Dominik Hasek.  The Russians are probably closest, but they are lacking as well.  

Point is, if Canada wins this tournament, it's going to be on the shoulders of the defense.  I don't care if there are some injured forwards, if you can get the puck to Joe Sakic, Paul Kariya (injured hand or not), Theo Fleury, hell, or even Jarome Iginla and give them a clean break or odd man rush on a consistent basis, good things are going to happen.  This defense is more than capable of doing that.

Guest Vern Gagne

...meaning that this'll be the last year Bettman sends NHL players to the Olympics, since it'll be the second time North America gets pantsed.

Hopefully. The U.S. and Canada don't even practice together until Thursday. In 1980  the U.S. team played together for 7 months.

Guest jonstreich

G: United States

S: Canada

B: Russia

Herb Brooks will have his team ready, like they were against Finland.  Wayne Gretzky will never be able to go home again and his son will probably accept any offer to play for America in international tournaments.  Russia will just barely get by the Czechs in the bronze medal game.  Hopefully Gary Betteman will learn from these Olympics and decide the following for Torino in 2006

1). 70 game regular season

2). No All-Star game

3). No games in February to let teams practice together.

Guest gthureson

NHL hockey is a gate driven sport.   Teams need every home game they can get to turn a profit.

Even if Bettmen wanted a 70 game season, there is no way the owners would ever allow him to do it.

I'd rather the NHL just forget about the Olympics, and if you want to have tournement with the best in the world, just bring back the Canada Cup.

You can hold the tourney in September, and you can also tell the IIHF to go screw themselves.

Guest Brooding Genius

I'd rather see an 80-game season and a requirement to have Olympic-sized rinks, or at least widen the current configuration a little bit.  They'd lose what... one, maybe two rows of seats?  Those are the shitty ones that get glass distortion anyways, and usually go to the corporate muckety-mucks who are more interested in "closing the deal."

Guest ZGangsta

After watching the ass-raping our boys recieved from the Swedes on Friday, I'm starting to feel a bit worried about Canada's shot at the gold. I'll see how Brodeur fares before coming to my conclusion about Canada.

My medal picks so far:

Gold - Sweden

Silver - Tha Republik

Bronze - Canada

Guest Kwik

I'm giving the Gold to Sweden, especially after they downed the Czech Republic 2-1 on Sunday.  The "torpedo" style (using an almost-soccer style 2 forwards, 2 "midfielders" and 1 defender) will probably give teams fits throughout the tournament, and Salo seemse to be getting hot at the right time.  

Gold to the Swedes

Silver to Russia (who looked pretty good in the 2-2 tie with the US)

Bronze to any one of Czech Republic/Canada/USA

Guest starvenger

Today -

Women's hockey finals: Canada vs. USA

Big surprise there.  US is the favourite, but it's really a tossup.

Prediction: Canada in OT

Tomorrow -

Belarus vs. Canada

- Belarus is riding high right now thanks to the Miracle On Ice 2K2, and Canada had better be careful so as to not end up like Sweden, or Kelley Law.  Still, this is a game that they SHOULD win.

Prediction: Canada

Russia vs. USA

- Khabibulin is a major roadblock in the Gary Bettman's quest to make the NHL mega-popular...  I mean in the American's quest to get to the gold medal game.  

Prediction: USA

Guest Mikey2Dope

Women's Gold Medal Game

Canada 3 U.S.A. 2

Way to go Canada!!!!!! That was the most biased refereeing I have ever seen which is even more of a testament how good the Canadian team really is. Did anybody else hear how the American women laid down the Canadian Flag on the floor of their dressing room and were walking all over it??? Just disgusting.

Guest Tyler McClelland
Did anybody else hear how the American women laid down the Canadian Flag on the floor of their dressing room and were walking all over it??? Just disgusting.

As an American, I'd like to think that is a fabrication. But, if it is true, that's two straight Olympics that the American hockey team (well, last time it was men, but still...) has embarassed our country...

Crazy hockey players...

Guest treble charged

I don't think that the Americans actually walked on the flag, but put it there to remind them that Canada was "on their tails".  Whatever the reason, they shouldn't have put it on the floor, especially how the whole world watched as they brought their own flag into the Opening Ceremonies.  Bringing the flag into it is kind of disrespectful.

Guest starvenger
Whatever the reason, they shouldn't have put it on the floor

I thought that a flag was NEVER supposed to touch the floor.  btw that ref was apparently the top female ref in the IIHF.  Which raises the question: How bad are the OTHER refs?

And for the record, the referee for the men's final will be a Canadian - Bill McCreary? - from the NHL.  Which probably means that the whistle will be put away for most of the game a la NHL playoff hockey.

Guest Brooding Genius

I would just like to say that I was the first one on this board to get all three of the medalists correct, though not in the correct order.

Your worship of my genius can begin now.

Guest jonstreich
I would just like to say that I was the first one on this board to get all three of the medalists correct, though not in the correct order.

*acts like 3-year-old*

I was more righter than you!

I was right on the Russia-Czech Republic game, although it was two games early.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

O CANADA OUR (MY) HOME AND NATIVE LAND. canada 5 usa 2 must.. go...get....drunk...and....celebrate.