TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

5% of MLB players test positive for steroids

Enough test positive for steroids to trigger automatic testing 

Nov. 13, 2003

SportsLine.com wire reports   

NEW YORK -- More than 5 percent of major-league players tested positive for steroids this year, triggering automatic testing starting next season.

Under the labor contract players and owners agreed to last year, all players were tested this year as part of a survey, with the samples not identified by player. The agreement called for mandatory testing to begin the year after any season in which more than 5 percent tested positive.

The commissioner's office announced Thursday that the threshold has been exceeded, but the exact percentage was not released.

Starting next March, tests will be given and samples will be identified by player.

A first positive test for steroid use would result in treatment and a second in a 15-day suspension or fine of up to $10,000.

The length of suspensions would increase to 25 days for a third positive test, 50 days for a fourth and one year for a fifth. The suspensions would be without pay.

AP NEWS

The Associated Press News Service

It's a minimum of five percent, which is what was needed to start automatic testing.

Odds are they didn't even bother identifying which player was juiced, just whether or not the sample tested positive for roids. If they did identify which sample was which, we'd start seeing some fines and shit.

Odds are they didn't even bother identifying which player was juiced, just whether or not the sample tested positive for roids. If they did identify which sample was which, we'd start seeing some fines and shit.

Under the labor contract players and owners agreed to last year, all players were tested this year as part of a survey, with the samples not identified by player.

There's your answer right there in the article. Personally, I feel cheating in sports is no way a new phenominon, and it doesn't diminish the records and accomplishments of today's athletes. Hopefully though, this starts MLB on the road to a cleaner sport.

Guest Salacious Crumb

I thought a bunch of White Sox players refused to take a similar test last year to keep the testing in place.

Guest Smues

Well I know bonds won't get busted, but fuck it'd be hilarious if he tested positive and tainted all his records.

Guest Redhawk
Well I know bonds won't get busted, but fuck it'd be hilarious if he tested positive and tainted all his records.

If the corked bat didn't taint Sammy Sosa's reputation, would a positive steroid test really taint Bonds' numbers? I mean I could see if he was using straight-up steroids, but what if it was just andro or some other not-so-bad supplement?

I wonder what the actual percentage that tested positive was. I was listening to the radio today and they said the commissioners office said it was significantly higher than 5%.

You know how the Commissioner's office is with numbers, though...