TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Judas14

Worst x-men moment

Guest Judas14

What are the worst moments in X-Men history?

Colossus's death?

Jean Grey's resurrection?

Magneto becoming the hippie mutant Joseph?

Cyclops leaves his wife and son and becomes a deadbeat dad?

Angel getting back his feather wings with zero explination?

Cable #75?

Marrow becomes a Witchblade clone?

Magneto gets killed twice in a matter of 4 months?

What would you consider to be the worst moment in X-Men history? I've listed some of the more obvious ones but I'd love to hear what you guys think is the worst moment in X-Men history...

Guest teke184

I'd say that the majority of the issues between the end of Fall Of The Mutants (circa Uncanny 225) and the Shadow King Saga (circa Uncanny 280) is a very low period.  

The X-Men spent 25 issues hiding in Australia while the world thought they were dead and these, for the most part, were pretty crappy issues.  The only good development in that time was the concept of the nation of Genosha, which paid off well with X-Tinction Agenda, and the Inferno saga, which I don't remember terribly well at the moment.

The series REALLY went to hell around Uncanny #247 because every X-Man but Wolverine either left or took a trip through the Siege Perilous, and most of those X-Men were left floating in limbo for about 20 issues or so, with the high end being Longshot at about 40 issues, or were around but had amnesia until the 270s and 280s.

The decent only payoff to the Siege Perilous bullsh!t was Havok reappearing as a Genoshan Magistrate during X-Tinction Agenda, although the new look for Psylocke would be the only other of significance.

The Phalanx Saga and Zero Tolerance might also be high on the list of "Stupid X-Men plots", but I've successfully forgotten much of what happened in them.

Guest J*ingus

Hell, I'd count the entire last five years.  X-Men has gotten so ridiculously complicated and backstory-bound, with so much Crash TV-esque writing (how many times have they destroyed/changed the world as it is now?), that it's more work than fun to try & keep up with it.

Guest AlwaysPissedOff

I'd have to say that lame ass storyline where they were in an alternate universe. i could never figure out what the fuck was going on the entire time and it eventually led to me giving up on comic books for good.

Also, Wolverine's departure after the Fatal Attractions storyline(which was a pretty damn good series) had already soured me on comics for the most part.

One question though, what the hell happened to that black chick from the X-Factor part of Fatal Attractions? I remember her curing Wolvesbane, but I neevr saw her after that, so did she get killed or something? And, did Random ever become an official member of X-Factor or did he stay stricly merc?

Guest gthureson

I pretty much stopped reading around X-men #225.  I moved around a bit before that, and missed about seven issues, and picked up 225 and no clue what was going on, and said to hell with it.   I read the Age of Apocalypse storyline because my roommate at the time was buying X-titles, but had problems with it because of my general X-problems, which can be summed up with this statement:

"What the hell was the rest of the Marvel Universe doing about it?   All those cosmically powered whoevers who know everything just fumbled the ball and completely missed it?"

At least in the story arc around 170 (I think) where NYC got turned into a fantasy land, the Avengers and Spider-man got to be included and help out.

Goes back to Bob Harras and the breaking of the X-titles into their own continuity, I guess.

So I can't comment on the last ten years, really.   Haven't even been trying to keep up with whats going on.   Too many characters in the books I couldn't give a rats ass about.

Guest areacode212

Well, I'm not familiar with half of the stuff on that list since I basically ignored the X-titles between the Mutant Massacre and the arrival of Morrison/Milligan (though I read the Age of Apocalypse in the stores, and kind of enjoyed it).

But I hated the "deadbeat dad" stuff that Scott pulled. Did anyone else feel bad for Madelyne? Cyclops leaves her to go to New York and be with his old girlfriend. Then he stays there for months doing his X-Factor thing and barely contacts his wife & son (if at all, I don't remember). Then she finds out that she's nothing but a clone of Jean. WTF! It sucks to be her.

Anyway, whatever happened to her? I know she showed up in X-Man, but I lost track of her.

Guest teke184

Madelyn Pryor hung around with the X-Men between Mutant Massacre and Inferno.  She found out she was a clone around Inferno, went nuts, and became Mr. Sinister's Goblin Queen.

At that point, she died, IIRC, and wasn't seen again until Age of Apocalypse.

Guest raptor

I believe "that black chick" was Frenzy (Joanna Cargill) last seen in the Eve of Destruction arc (that led up to Morrisson/Casey taking over). She was a member of the interim X-Men, but was being mind controlled by Jean Grey. Before that she was in all the Magneto titles as his ambassador/spokesperson.

Worst moment? I'd have to say Inferno. Worst...Story...Ever!!!

Guest Judas14
I believe "that black chick" was Frenzy (Joanna Cargill) last seen in the Eve of Destruction arc (that led up to Morrisson/Casey taking over). She was a member of the interim X-Men, but was being mind controlled by Jean Grey. Before that she was in all the Magneto titles as his ambassador/spokesperson.

Worst moment? I'd have to say Inferno. Worst...Story...Ever!!!

Wrong black chick. AlwaysPissedOff is referring to Haven, a Indian chick who had reality altering powers and who believed that she was chosen by a higher power (ie God) to save the world. She restored Wolfsbane's ability to turn herself human in X-Factor #99 but could not get her powers to cure the Legacy Virus infected Multiple Man in X-Factor #100. Originally the higher power that was guiding Haven was supposed to be revealed to have been Apocalypse but Marvel switched around writers and brought Howard Mackie onto X-Factor and had the "Higher Power" be the Adversary. After Age of Apocalypse Haven showed up pregnant and died giving birth to Adversary as part of the horrible "Forge never avenged his fellow soldiers in Vietnam by way of summoning demons from Hell to slaughter the Vietcong" retcon storyline Mackie wrote....  

As for Inferno, while it does hold a black mark for the Xover's treatment and ultimate fate of Maddie, at least the Xover held up to it's promise of revealing the truth about Maddie and resolving the whole Magik/Darkchild storyline unlike nearly every-other Xover to come down the pipe since then which promise closure on longrunning storylines and yet never deliver on it....

Guest gthureson

I liked Magik, too.  Of all the New Mutants, she had the most potential as a character.

And they whacked her.   After reverting her to a seven year old child.

That's be my worst X-men moment.

Guest The Man in Blak

I'll throw in on Age of Apocalypse, just from the sheer ridiculosity (tm, Warrior) of the whole thing.  Some of the ideas were nice, but they weren't necessarily entertaining by any means.  That, plus the after-effects (having to put up with Nate Grey, for example) sucked big time.

Runner up for me would be the Shadow King story-arc.  Maybe I'm just not a David Haller mark, perhaps?

Strangely enough, but I actually kind of liked the whole Siege Perilous thing - it seemed more like an "alternate universe" than AoA was, and the character development (Havok in Genosha, Psylocke's changes) was kind of cool to me as a kid.

Guest raptor

Thanks for the info, Judas14. The part that led me to Frenxy was the Fatal Attractions reference. Haven didn't appear in that issue, and Wolfsbane saved Senator Kelly from Frenzy's attack.

Also, I liked AOA for one reason: Blink. Any crossover that gives comics so great a character deserves to be praised. Nate Grey *did* suck, however. As did Sugar Man and any other AOA denizens that reappeared.

Guest Xstasy

I love AOA.  Loved alot of stuff other people hate.

BTW- Angel's wings molted off the metal and grew new feathers.  That was the X-planation.

As for worst moments- I have to go with the following:

The Neo Saga.  That sucked.

Joseph.  Yeah, that was horrible.

Cyclops reappearing with no explanation.

Needless to say, I tend to like old X-men much more than this new crap that passes for X-men titles nowadays.  What the hell happened to continuity.  Plus they took the perfect storyline- Apocalypse in Cyclops, and did nothing with it.  The old schoolers never woulda let that go, although I can't honestly say that, because Claremont completely sucked with the Neo.

Guest gthureson

Erm...if I remember correctly, his wings were amputated, and the metal ones were given to him by Apocalypse....unless something funky happened along the way, how could they 'molt off the metal'?

Did Angel get ahold of a mutant super-healing factor too?

Guest Judas14
Also, I liked AOA for one reason: Blink. Any crossover that gives comics so great a character deserves to be praised. Nate Grey *did* suck, however. As did Sugar Man and any other AOA denizens that reappeared.

Actually Blink debuted in the Phalanx Covenant, which happened five months earlier than AOA. The thing with Blink is that no one cared about mainstream Marvel Universe version of Blink and that it was the AOA Blink, with her ass kicking persona and cool energy knife weapons that attracted all of the attention to the character. Though leave it to wierd irony that bad girl comic obsessed Bill Jemas would be the one to finally capitalize on Blink's popularity and the demand for her after years of fans having to put up with Bob Harras's "No Blink... Ever" rule involving the character....  

Judas, who still wonders what kind of drugs Marvel's top brass were on when they decided to bring Dark Beast and Sugar Man into the mainstream Marvel Universe instead of Blink and Morph....

Guest Judas14
Erm...if I remember correctly, his wings were amputated, and the metal ones were given to him by Apocalypse....unless something funky happened along the way, how could they 'molt off the metal'?

Did Angel get ahold of a mutant super-healing factor too?

Yes, no, maybe....

In UXM #338, Angel's metal wings fall apart and his original wings grow back miraculously. While this is all happening, Ozymodius (stature guy and recently introduced flunky of Apocalypse) is watching Angel and telling him Apocalypse is responsible for the return of his origianl wings and that this is part of one of Apocalypse's mysterious schemes.

Sadly we never get this followed up on because UXM #338 and everything inside the issue are almost automatically tossed into the trash when Mark Waid quits the X-Men and Marvel begins literally writing the X-Men books on the fly, resulting in massive changes to various storylines and numerous fill-in stories being commissioned to be published in X-Men and UXM...

In Wolverine #146-147, during the horrific "The 12" saga, Angel is able to free Wolverine from Apocalypse's control only to start flipping out and turns into a Super-Sayian type version of himself which could shoot energy blades from his gold wings and could change his hands into claws ala Wildcat's Warblade. He flies around in a confused state before going to a Army Prison Hospital where he apparently sacrifices his newfound abilities in order to heal the quadripeligic War (one of Apocalypse's Horsemen from X-Factor #24-26 who was paralyzed from the neck down) so that he could walk and have a normal life again. Again, no explination was given and it was swept under the rug as soon as it happened....