TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest pacguy

Mcafee

Guest El Hijo Del Lunatic

Sue the shit out of me, I don't care.

McAfee is great virus-protection software ... unless you were planning on installing ANYTHING ELSE on your hard drive.  I've seen that piece of shit break more computers than you can count.  it's brought down computers over COOKIES.  Swear to God.  The thing is, if McAfee's not 100% sure about what an app does, then when you run that app, McAfee will lock your computer - ESPECIALLY WITH WINDOWS 98.  

Praise Jesus that my school is switching over to Norton.

Guest MarvinisaLunatic

Related Conspiracy Theory:

Anti Virus software companes like Mcafee and Symantec hire people to create viruses so that they can hype that they have the fix and make people go out and buy antivirus software.

BUT, in 4 1/2 years, I have yet to come into contact with a VIRUS that did anything to my computer or anyone elses (knock on wood) and I didnt have any antivirus software package.  

My 3 Rules of thumb

1) Dont open email attatchments from ANYONE (including people you know) except yourself (you know, when your on 1 computer and you need to get something to another computer).

2) Dont download files from unreliable websites, which means no warez or progz or crap like that.

3) Dont let other people install crap on your computer. Password protect, and limit access to other users.  

You do those 3 things and you dont need to pay for anti virus software.

Guest pacguy
Related Conspiracy Theory:

Anti Virus software companes like Mcafee and Symantec hire people to create viruses so that they can hype that they have the fix and make people go out and buy antivirus software.

BUT, in 4 1/2 years, I have yet to come into contact with a VIRUS that did anything to my computer or anyone elses (knock on wood) and I didnt have any antivirus software package.  

How do u know if you already got a virus or not??

there might me one lurking on your computer ready to strike on a certain date?

The thing that angers is that mcafeeevan attemped that.

whats worse is that microsoft frontpage says in the eula that you can't write bad things about MS.

Guest DrTom

"You do those 3 things and you dont need to pay for anti virus software."

Maybe YOU don't, but your experiences don't hold true for everyone.  Your three rules are good, though, and I wish more people would follow them.  The problem is, even reputable web sites can get hacked and have malicious Javascript or ActiveX scripts on the page.  Going to pages like that can give you a virus.  The myparty worm didn't use email attachments, either.  It's one of the so-called "socially engineered" virii that people will tend to get even if they're careful about what they do on their PC's.

Besides, how do you know for sure you never had a virus if you weren't running any Anti-virus software.

I've used Norton for seven years, I update the definitions regularly, I practice sensible computing, and I've never had a virus.  I think A-V software is a necessary evil, especially since a lot of software that puts you online is full of security holes.