TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Some Guy

Nomar or jeter

Guest Some Guy

I left A-Rod an Tejada out because the former is the best and the latter isn't quite there yet IMO.

I would say Nomar (big surprise there, huh).

Nomar is a much more productive hitter when healthy and even when he's not than Jeter.  Nomar hit .372 in 2000 while needing surgery on his wrist.  He batted over .400 in the 99 playoffs despite having just been hit with the pitch that caused his surgery on the 2nd to last day of the season.  Nomar has better range to his right and throws across his body better than Jeter.

Jeter *IS* a great player, don't get me wrong on this, but Nomar is better IMO.  Jeter has 2 things over Nomar and that's 4 WS rings and better health.

What do you think?

Guest redbaron51

While your opinions are valid, and I really like Nomar better than Jeter, I think Jeter is more of a clutch player, especially if its in the playoffs.

Though that is one more reason why Jeter is over Nomar, other than that Nomar all the way.

Guest Choken One

I agree that Nomar is the better player but any Owner worth his salt would nab Derek Jeter over Nomar any day of the week, Jeter is more valueable then Nomar is.

Guest Some Guy

Nomar has only played in 3 play off series and has batted over .400 with about 5 HR.  Jeter has played in 16 play off series I think and has done very well also (he played poorly in the WS last year due to injury, that play he made on Giambi and the catch where he fell into the stands and injured himself in the ALCS were amazing). But how can you say that Jeter is more clutch when Nomar has always (last year not with standing due to Nomar's injury, which wasn't his fault as he was hit by a pitch) had more RBI in the regular season and hasn't had the chance to play in as many post season games, but has done very well in his limited appearances.  

If Nomar is a better player then why is Jeter more valueable?

Guest alkeiper

Career Slugging Percentage

Jeter          .470

Garciaparra .570

Given their similarities in Batting Average and On Base Percentage, I'll take Garciaparra.

Guest redbaron51

If you put Nomar on Arizona, or the Mets, or a contending team. (Trust me behind the Yanks is not contending), then I would definitly say Nomar.

Guest Some Guy

I think the Sox definatley have a shot at teh Wildcard and an outside chance at the AL East, if injuries fall the right way, all on the Yankees and none beyond what are already there for the Sox.

Guest Choken One

I should further elaborate on my picking of Derek Jeter over Nomar. I do think Nomar is the better hitter and better fielder (although Jeter has made more dramatic fielding plays) but as a Owner, I can see both these are about equal at the bat and field. The next important thing is, Leadership. Jeter and Nomar are both equally popular and capable leaders, so they are see dead even. The final marks? Injury and Marketablity.

I don't think Jeter has suffered anything more then a sprain and Nomar Missed almost all of 2001 and has been injury prone before, so that allows Jeter to slide ahead and lastly, Drawing Power. Nomar may draw in Boston but I don't think if Nomar went to Atlanta or Chicago, he'd really increase sales, unlike Jeter, whom is a much bigger star on a national level (while it's not all because of his playing talent) and that is important, look at the Cincy Reds, even though they were already out of Playoff contention, Junior was still a major draw to bring in near sellouts of 32.000...and many other examples of players being big enough draws (Sosa/Big Mac etc.) in poor teams.

So in the end, I would sign Derek Jeter and his 4 rings.

Guest Some Guy

Jeter might be a better draw, but other than Nomar's wrist surgery caused by being hit by a pitch and as such not being his fault in anyway, Nomar has only been disabled for hamstring pulls and so has Jeter.  Nomar's wrist appears to be healthy as he hit a 2B and his 3rd HR tonight.  I guess because Jeter doesn't have a huge hook nose more little girls would want to go watch him, but talent draws as well and Nomar would bring fans in any where IMO.  The guy has flirted with .400 twice, once while playing an entire season while needing wrist surgery, which is why his powere #s were down (21 HR, 96 RBI, which were still much better than Jeter's that year, I think he only had 70 RBI in 2000)

Guest Kahran Ramsus

Nomar is better, but if I were an owner I would hire Jeter because Nomar's injury problems scare me.

Guest ajc

Nomar...easily.  I'm not sure why everyone throws out Jeter's rings, like that matters in a one-on-one comparison.  If you're gonna compare the Yanks to the Red Sox...alright, whip out the ring count...otherwise, it's irrelavant.  Ernie Banks never won a World Series (or played in one), but would rather have him or Phil Rizzuto, who played in nine WS?

Guest DrTom

I'd take Nomar.  A healthy Nomar is better than a healthy Jeter, and let's not forget that Derek has been bitten by the injury bug a few times, too.  Nothing like Nomar's wrist of alst season, but he gets hurt just like everyone else.

I'd take Nomar for his superior defense, better power bat, and better batting average.  He's the ideal third-place hitter on a team, whereas Jeter's someone who fits more into the two-hole.

Guest starvenger

For some reason this reminds me of the SNL Point/Counterpoint skit with Derek Jeter and Seth Meyers called "Derek Jeter Sucks/No, I Don't"...

Guest El Hijo Del Lunatic

It's really six of one, half a dozen of the other.  They're both really good guys, the kind of player you want on your team, they're both recognizable names (Jeter hosted Saturday Night Live, while NOMAH has been immortalized by it) and they've both basically got five tools.  Nomar hits for a little more power than Jeter does, but Jeter's quicker on the basepaths.  Both play excellent defense, and both hit for average.  It probably comes down to need.  If you want a #2 hitter, you want Jeter.  If you want a #3 hitter, you want Nomar.

It also depends on what side of the Yankees/Red Sox fence you're on.

LUNATIC

Of course, DrTom said everything I did, but I don't really care.  He's been saying what I want to say for some time now, and that hasn't stopped me from posting before.

Guest Jericholic82

someguy...I'm not touching this one with a ten foot pole

lol

actually they both are good hitters and valuable to their teams.   I would say Jeter but I don't want to sound biased.  I'll give them both one thing-they are respectively the most known people in Ny and Boston

btw that jeter sucks, no i dont thing was funny as hell

"Yknow seth i often hear that arguement whenever I play in Boston, or take a walk in Boston, or take a date to a restaurant in Boston, and sometimes they come down to baltimore when were there and tell me I suck"

as you can tell, I'm not too hard on Boston no more.

for one thing they have true hardcore fans

and 2: they sang ny ny at fenway after 9-11 which blew my mind.

but anyway of course I have to end with

BOSTON SUCKS (www.soxsuck.com)

lol later

Guest Some Guy

I didn't say Jeter sucks, I'm not sure if you were addressing me with that or not.  I think Jeter is a great player, but he's over rated IMO.  I'll stand by statement that Nomar is better.

BTW the chant is "Yankees suck", not "Boston sucks". ;)

Guest Jericholic82

actually I was talking about the snl with jeter I wasnt talking about you someguy.

Boston ahead of Yanks in standings?  NOOOOOOOOOOO

NY Fans worst nightmare :(

lol