TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Son of Sting

1/4 full card

Guest RickyChosyu

Tenzan/Chono vs. Mutoh/Sapp is both Chono's return from injury and Mutoh's return to NJ since splitting. Therefore, booking them in a singles match puts NJ in a hard possition for deciding who goes over, because both should look strong for their returns.

Making it a tag match allows them to protect both guys. Unfortunately, since Sapp is also being protected, Tenzan is likely to eat the pin. After all, that's pretty much always been his job when teaming with Chono.

Guest Steviec2k3

Sapp's definately not taking the job, that's for sure.

However, right now Tenzan IS New Japan's boy. I honestly wouldn't be shocked at all to see Muto take the fall after a TTD or a Moonsault press.

Or on the other hand, I wouldn't be shocked to see Chono take the fall after a Sapp Powerbomb.

I just pray to god they don't try for a draw.

Guest Dynamite Kido

I definately see this one with a shitty finish. Obviously whoever takes the loss would be hurt considerably. But the match is a bad idea in the first place.

Guest The Son of Sting

Im taking a guess that Chono will job to Muto and in return Muto will put over Tanahashi or Nakamura.

Guest RickyChosyu
However, right now Tenzan IS New Japan's boy. I honestly wouldn't be shocked at all to see Muto take the fall after a TTD or a Moonsault press.

Yep, that's why he just lost the title in his first defense. So much for NJ's confidence in their boy Tenzan. :)

Guest Steviec2k3
Yep, that's why he just lost the title in his first defense. So much for NJ's confidence in their boy Tenzan.

That's also why Tenzan, in 2003...

1. Pinned his sempai, and superior, Masahiro Chono on 1/04/03 at the Tokyo Dome.

2. Was given a new look, and returned in the G1 Climax to win.

3. Defeated the highly pushed MVP of 2003, Yoshihiro Takayama to return the IWGP Heavyweight title to New Japan.

4. Wins the G1 Tag League with Osamu Nishimura.

5. Racked up direct pinfall victories over Chono, Takayama, Nishimura, Nakanishi and Nagata.

4. DAYS after losing the IWGP Heavyweight title to Shinsuke Nakamura, wins the IWGP Tag Team titles from Yoshie and Tanahashi.

And I would like to point out something about the match with Nakamura,

As hard as it is to believe, Tenzan was NOT hurt by losing to Nakamura. Why? Because Tenzan had 98% of the offense in that match. Nakamura's win was designed to be seen as a fluke, and that is EXACTLY how it came off.

The fact that Tenzan didn't defend the title successfully once does not show that New Japan suddenly lost faith in him. Hell, Tatsumi Fujinami had TWO runs as IWGP Heavyweight champion where he did not defend the title twice.

Trust me, you're going to see A LOT of Hiroyoshi Tenzan in 2004.

That is, unless he falls on his head after attempting a Moonsault again...

Guest RickyChosyu

Tenzan was pushed strongly through the year, but suddenly the huge push didn't have so much steam behind it when it came to keeping the title on him and making him look strong with it.

When you consider that Tenzan has been challenging for the IWGP belt since 1996, it's pretty clear that this was the time to solidify him as a credible title holder. A loss in his first defense, even a fluke, still hurts him, because it shows that even with the monster push, he can't hang on to the title.

I'd also like to point out that Tenzan winning the strop off of Takayama had every bit to do with Yoshihiro bombing as champ than it had to with Tenzan being NJPW's boy. I'm sure they had plans to elevate Tenzan, but I doubt they planned to have Takayama hold it for only a month before jobbing it.

Pretty blatant booking on the fly stuff from NJ there, just like the title change to Nakamura a month later.

Guest ligerbomb03

Do you think Nakamura will be jobbing to Takayama? I will be very disappointed if that happens :(

Guest Salacious Crumb
3. Defeated the highly pushed MVP of 2003, Yoshihiro Takayama to return the IWGP Heavyweight title to New Japan.

MVP? I'll have what he's smoking.

Guest NANIWA*
MVP? I'll have what he's smoking.

I think I know his dealer.

Actually, Stevie2k3 is correct on Takayama's claim as 2003's MVP. Tokyo Sports named "Mr. No Fear" Yoshihiro Takayama the 2003 MVP earlier last week. Kobashi came in 2nd, and Yuki Kondo took home the 3rd spot...

Guest RickyChosyu

And isn't that the equivolent of the PWI awards we have here? What's the criteria for that award?

Guest NANIWA*

I'm not sure how respected the awards actually are, or how they determine the winner. I myself think that Takayama deserves the award based on the ability he's shown as a smart business man. He reminds me of Tenryu allot, not in the work rate category mind you, but in the since that he can work pretty much for any company he chooses at anytime, secure a main event role, win 95% of his matches, and still remain fairly popular as an outsider taking on company bred talent. He may not be the biggest draw in Puro, but neither was/is Tenryu as a freelancer...

{FYI: Tenryu is a draw, but he can't carry a show/company based only on his name value. Look at SWS, WAR, and WJ as examples of not being able to carry a company based mostly around his name being on the show. Tenryu's worth as a draw is really limited to "Dream Matches".}

Guest NANIWA*

To follow up Takayama's claim as Puro's 2003 MVP, Nikkan Sports have just released their awards and like Tokyo Sports, named Takayama the 2003 MVP with 40% of the votes. Other awards given can be seen below...

Nikkan Sports Awards:

MVP: Yoshihiro Takayama

Best Organization: Pro Wrestling NOAH (#1), New Japan (#2), PRIDE (#3)

Outstanding Performance Award: Shinsuke Nakamura

Fighting Spirit Award: Hiroshi Tanahashi

Technique Prize: Osamu Nishimura

Credit:Stuart

Guest Dave O'Neill, Journalist
Do you think Nakamura will be jobbing to Takayama?

No, for the simple reason that NJ wont have as much use of Takayama as they did this year.

I suspect though, when he's healthy, Nakamura becomes Chono's bitch, because like it or not, Chono is the only real proven draw in NJ

Guest RickyChosyu

Those awards, much like our PWI awards, are kayfabe awards.

If you look at Stuart's website, you'll notice that it's basically a New Japan kayfabe site as well, so it makes sense that he would refer to those awards.

Guest NANIWA*
If you look at Stuart's website, you'll notice that it's basically a New Japan kayfabe site as well, so it makes sense that he would refer to those awards.

Yeah, and your point? They where posted at Zach Arnold's site as well. Which if you look, is nowhere near a kayfabe site for any promotion, let alone New Japan. Hell, Takayama didn't even win NJ MVP at Stuart's site and came in fourth overall; however he's currently in second at Arnold's site with 24% of the votes. Currently, I can't think of anyone who's had a better year then Takayama, or who's drawn more then him.(Even if he didn't draw the greatest.) The only guy that you could even argue the point with, would be Kobashi. Who I'm guessing would be considered your 2003 MVP...

Guest RickyChosyu

Yeah, and your point? They where posted at Zach Arnold's site as well. Which if you look, is nowhere near a kayfabe site for any promotion, let alone New Japan.

My point is that the reason Stuart reffered to Takayama as the "2003 MVP" is because he uses Kayfabe on his site. Zach posted the awards, but I doubt he would call Takayama the MVP.

Hell, Takayama didn't even win NJ MVP at Stuart's site and came in fourth overall; however he's currently in second at Arnold's site with 24% of the votes.

That's not because they're copying the Japanese voters, it's because they're following Zach's lead.

Currently, I can't think of anyone who's had a better year then Takayama, or who's drawn more then him.(Even if he didn't draw the greatest.) The only guy that you could even argue the point with, would be Kobashi. Who I'm guessing would be considered your 2003 MVP...

I don't even have an MVP and I don't know what I would base that off of. I haven't seen any work from Japan this year other than Mutoh/Kawada. As for drawing power, I didn't hear too many good things about Takayama's IWGP Title run, which would discourage me from picking him. I would pick Kobashi, if I knew more about his drawing power as champion for NOAH.