TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sandman9000

Article/List on TSM

Guest neodragonsan

Some of the descriptions of bumps on that list just made me wince...

Good list though

Great list Shooter Jay.

I am surprised that you didn’t include the NWA: Wildside Wargames match on the list somewhere. The bumps on this match may not have had the physical impact of some of the matches on your list, but the build for the match was so good that the emotional impact for each bump meant that each one meant that much more.

[edit] As Phoenix Leg Drop just pointed out to me, they did include the WarGames match on the list. I'm an idiot. That said, there are a bunch of other moments from that match that I preferred.[/edit]

It’s nice to see the IWS on the list naturally. I second your description of the Arsenal’s DVD as being picture perfect. That is part of what makes the Arsenal such a great villain to me. He doesn’t accidentally hurt people. He know exactly what he is doing, exactly how much what he is about to do will hurt his opponent and he does it anyway and smiles while doing it.

There are a few IWS bumps that didn’t make your list that deserve to be mentioned however. Most of these, you probably never saw though.

So here are my Top Ten Other IWS Hardcore Moments

(I put them in chronological order, because it is impossible to rank them.)

1. Season’s Beatings (January 2003)

The Arsenal Superplexes Mathy69

From the top rope to the outside on to the concrete floor. You can see it HERE! Now, I don’t want to be all conspiracy victim or anything, but doesn’t that move look exactly like the one Shooter Jay described between Bailey and Butcher? (Only performed several months earlier.)

In his very first match in the IWS, before changing his name from Mathy69 to EXcesS69, Mathy proves to the IWS fans that he is completly and totally insane.

Again, the key to this move is how crisp it is. At the time, this sparked a mini-feud on the on the IWS message board when some nit-wit said that the IWS was no longer hard-core and I went off on him when he described this particular move as not hard-core. The other cool thing is that in that clip you can see my legs as the two men landed directly in front of me, and, oh yes, since you asked, the Arsenal was smiling.

2. Violent Valentines (February 2003)

Steve Royds and the Green Phantom power bomb PCP Crazy F’N Manny

Through a light tube mattress made of fifty light tubes.

The bump that left Manny with a concussion and a heavily lacerated arm and back requiring more than twenty stitches. It also left Manny, according to Peter LaSalle, “With a lacerated liver, a swollen spleen, a punctured pancreas and a concussed colon!”

Just prior to this bump, guest referee Manny had screwed Royds and Phantom by jumping on top of El Generico to help him keep Royds' shoulders down while Manny fast counted the pin. The stipulation for the match was that if the Team of El Generico and Dru Onyx won, the Green Phantom had to put his title on the line against Onyx in March at Know Your Enemies. So it made sense that Phantom would be angry at Manny and wanted revenge. It also meant that when the title match between Phantom & Onyx finally happened, the fans were screaming for Phantom’s blood.

There are other pictures of this bump, but THIS! is all that I need to show.

3. Freedom to Fight (April 2003)

Iceberg and Face of Death set Viking on Fire

This Picture says it all really.

If I had to put together an army, the very first hardcore soldier that I would pick is Viking.

Almost as scary as the bump is the fact that after being treated for his burns, Viking checked himself out of the hospital (against his Doctor’s advice) to get back to the Skratch in time to see the main event.

Speaking of that Main Event...

4. Freedom to Fight (April 2003)

Brother vs. Brother, Ninja Vs. Ninja, Flesh vs. Barbed Wire

The best, most psychologically complex no ropes barbed wire death match that I have ever seen, and in my opinion the best IWS main event that I have seen to date.

5. Body Count (May 2003)

EXcesS69 and Onyx battle all over the Skratch for 29min 45 sec.

As EXcesS69 tries to win the IWS title by using the time honored “give the fat guy a heart attack” strategy. Onyx, battling bruised ribs from a car accident and a bout of bronchitis, uses the entire bar to keep EXcesS69 from winning his title, literally bashing and throwing EXcesS69 into anything that wasn’t nailed down and some things that were nailed down. EXcesS69 nearly wins the title a bunch of times and was within fifteen seconds of forcing a draw when Onyx finally pins him.

6. UnF’NSanctioned (September 2003)

Onyx power bombs Sexxxy Eddy on the entrance ramp

Dru Onyx channels Vader to totally stiff Eddy, furious after losing their match. Then Onyx ups the dickishness factor to eleven, when he stops to retie his boots on top of Eddy’s prone body. Onyx is a bad, bad man.

7. UnF’NSanctioned (September 2003)

Fans Bring the Weapons

A picture is worth a thousand words.

8. Blood, Sweat and Beers (October 2003)

The Arsenal and Eddy’s Barbed Wire Board and Thumb Tacks Death Match

Think a wrestler doing a death match without a shirt is impressive? Eddy does death matches in a thong! The entire match was sick, but the two moments that stick out in my mind were:

The Arsenal applying a Boston Crab to Eddy on top of a barbed wire board.

The Arsenal stuffing Eddy’s thong with thumb tacks and then doing THIS!

9. Payback’s A Bitch (November 2003)

X hits the Arsenal with a top rope cannon ball

Most people roll out of the way of this move. The Arsenal not only took it, he was busy being stretched by Eddy, Takao and Kenny the Bastard, as you can see HERE!

10. Season’s Beatings II (December 2003)

The Green Phantom’s chair shot on Tank

Yes, it was just a chair shot. And I don’t even have any pictures of it. But if you were there live, man, it was a hell of a chair shot. The Green Phantom had Tank in position for a Phantasm, Tank tried to wriggle out of the move in the process nearly sending both men head-first into the time-keeper’s table. (i.e. into the lap of me and Eddy’s Dad.) Phantom, visibly pissed, grabs a chair and breaks it over Tanks head. I have seen a ton of chair shots in the IWS and there have been some great ones this year, most notably Kid Kamikaze nearly taking Beef’s head off with a chair. But this one topped them all.

Edited by Llakor

Guest Jay Z. Hollywood

Thanks for the praise and the list Llakor- more IWS tapes will be on the way in the near future for me to review.

However, I can't really take credit for this article, as it was Sandman9000's idea and he did more than half of the work on it.

Thanks for the praise and the list Llakor- more IWS tapes will be on the way in the near future for me to review.

However, I can't really take credit for this article, as it was Sandman9000's idea and he did more than half of the work on it.

Which explains why it sucks the Dark Lord's greasy cock.

Why didn't you list Supreme's powerbomb of Angel off of a balcony and through a single table at XPW Battle of the Burgh? The clip was on XPWrestling.com for a LONG time. Is a Tiger Driver off of a 5 feet stage really more hardcore than a 25 foot powerbomb through a table, which really didn't break the fall, because Angel practically missed it?

Cool list, overall, though. Some of the stuff sounds really cool.

I'm surprised but happy that nobody has contested Mondo's bump as #1 b/c I think it definitely is. I talked to Zandig a few days after the bump and he said that he thought Mondo had broken his neck and almost had a heart attack (in a good way) when he saw him finally move. It was insane.

It was stuff that one of us has seen, Barber. None of us watches XPW, so none of their stuff is listed. I know ROH had some nutso bumps last year, the Fast Eddie German through chair immediately springs to mind, but since none of us saw it, it didn't make the list. It's that simple.

And the Misawa/Kobashi bump was hardcore, when you consider who was involved in the match, and how badly it could have gone had Kobashi missed by a fraction of an inch either direction.

Just thought of a bump...

Nate Hatred/Nick Gage from Aftermath. The Fire Thunder Driver off the stage through two tables. One of the most visually impressive bumps I've ever seen.

Guest Jay Z. Hollywood

Damn, that does sound good. Aftermath is a CZW show that I often forget even happened.

Guest Jay Z. Hollywood

Well, wasn't that the show that also had the Sonjay/JC Bailey ladder match? I haven't seen it, but I keep hearing great reviews about it.

Well, wasn't that the show that also had the Sonjay/JC Bailey ladder match? I haven't seen it, but I keep hearing great reviews about it.

Was that Aftermath? I thought it was Deja Vu 2.

Just thought of a bump...

Nate Hatred/Nick Gage from Aftermath. The Fire Thunder Driver off the stage through two tables. One of the most visually impressive bumps I've ever seen.

NM, that bump is #11 on my list.

It was the hardest bump to ignore, and the reason that it didn't make the list is because of the fact that CZW bumps off the stage at least once a show, sometimes more. The goal of the list was to list the top ten bumps, which usually are bumps you don't see every day. If you see a bump occuring constantly, such as bumps off the top Viking Hall stage onto the lower one, it lowers the dramatic effect. Aside from COD V, I really can't think of a CZW show where they didn't have some kind of bump off of the stage.

An impressive bump? Absofreakinglutly. But is it something that you don't see every day? No, because at the next CZW show, someone will bump off the stage again. Meanwhile, no one will be taking the bumps that Pondo/Bailey and Zandig/Mondo did, hopefully.

In hindsight, the Necro/Bailey superplex bump should be lowered to 10, the Joker/Cash bump to 9, and the Misawa/Kawada bump be ranked higher, just because of the fact that you never see that kind of bump in Japan, much less in a match between two wrestlers of their calibur.

Hey hey hey, there is one Ninja that watches XPW. However, I honestly don't remember the bump in question (didn't frequent XPW's site too much).

Oh, and Sandman wrote most of the article up, but it was all my idea. MINE!

Zack-continuing to take credit for shit he had no part in.