TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Corey_Lazarus

Dawn Of The Dead '04

So I go to IMDB.com to check out some of Ving Rhames' movies (because I forget the title of that one with George Clooney and J-Lo all the time, and still do), and I decided to check out the plot synopsis of the Dawn remake. You know who's writing it? James Gunn.

James Gunn. If you're a Troma fan, you should DEFINITELY know who this man is. He helped write Tromeo & Juliet and Terror Firmer, two of Troma's best, and also wrote the script for the Scooby-Doo movie. This man has a great affinity for cheesy movies, and the ones he's helped make have been very good (I don't care what you say, Scooby-Doo was an awesome parody of the stupidity of the show). I'm actually looking forward to seeing this.

James Gunn. If you're a Troma fan, you should DEFINITELY know who this man is. He helped write Tromeo & Juliet and Terror Firmer, two of Troma's best, and also wrote the script for the Scooby-Doo movie. This man has a great affinity for cheesy movies, and the ones he's helped make have been very good (I don't care what you say, Scooby-Doo was an awesome parody of the stupidity of the show). I'm actually looking forward to seeing this.

He also wrote "The Specials" which is a personal favourite film of mine. So I'm at least going to give the film a chance.

Guest El Satanico

The fact that he's great with cheesy movies doesn't make me feel better.

Dawn isn't suppose to be a cheesy movie!

I will see the movie but what I am really getting tired of waiting for is the 3-disc release of the original Dawn of the Dead.......it was to have been released so many times by now........ARGH

Uhhhh...all of Romero's films are cheesy, Satanico. Not meant to be, but they are. Especially Dawn. I laugh my ass off whenever the SWAT team is infiltrating the tenement building, and that one psychotic racist guy blows that dude's head clean off. I also laugh at the makeup effects (although the gore effects are quite good, but this movie does show Savini was a novice back then).

I'll dig this movie. I know I will. Three mainstream zombie flicks released in the span of a year?* Zombies are back, biaaaatch!

28 Days Later, House Of The Dead, and Dawn Of The Dead '04.

Yeah, I know 28 Days Later isn't a TRUE zombie film, but the Infected were zombies in the basic sense that a zombie is a person reduced to the very basics of motor functions with no truly conscious thinking.

If this movie is anything close to House of the Dead, someone needs to be dragged into the street and shot many times.

I'm still unsure whether or not I care to see this. Scooby Doo was god damn horrible and the trailer was average at best.

It's still a "eh" on my list.

Uhhhh...all of Romero's films are cheesy, Satanico. Not meant to be, but they are. Especially Dawn. I laugh my ass off whenever the SWAT team is infiltrating the tenement building, and that one psychotic racist guy blows that dude's head clean off. I also laugh at the makeup effects (although the gore effects are quite good, but this movie does show Savini was a novice back then).

I'll dig this movie. I know I will. Three mainstream zombie flicks released in the span of a year?* Zombies are back, biaaaatch!

28 Days Later, House Of The Dead, and Dawn Of The Dead '04.

Yeah, I know 28 Days Later isn't a TRUE zombie film, but the Infected were zombies in the basic sense that a zombie is a person reduced to the very basics of motor functions with no truly conscious thinking.

Don't forget RE:Apocalypse.. I think that comes out in July...?

If this movie is anything close to House of the Dead, someone needs to be dragged into the street and shot many times.

I'm still unsure whether or not I care to see this. Scooby Doo was god damn horrible and the trailer was average at best.

It's still a "eh" on my list.

I don't think anything could be as bad as House of the Dead.. well, Tom Savini's Children of the Living Dead is right up there.. but I don't think Dawn 2k4 will come close to being that bad.

Guest El Satanico

Oh bullshit, Dawn of The Dead isn't a cheesy movie. Just because the makeup FX was primitive(it wasn't that bad for the time) that doesn't mean it's cheesy. If you want to call the FX and makeup cheesy, then fine and I'd agree, but the movie isn't.

Good news would've been someone who could keep the serious tone of Dawn intact, not a guy best known for making good cheesy movies. Of course you have to put some light moments in, after all the original has them. I wouldn't have much of a problem with the remake if it Kept the feel of the original and just had better FX.

Speaking of Romero remakes. Someone needs to do a serious(IE no scripts from cheese masters) remake of The Crazies. Now with the success of 28DL, which borrowed heavily from The Crazies, it would be the perfect time. Also we have new modern day fears that could be used to replace the 60's nuclear fear used in the original. The original was a good movie wrapped in crappy low budget packaging(bad lighting and bad sound). With a decent budget it would be easy to remake it as a great film.

Guest Mosaicv2

agree El Satanico... Dawn wasnt meant in hell as a chessy movie... when i first saw it... i didnt laugh in any scene... i was just freaked out by Tom Savinis classic make up effects

Guest Chaplin

You know I'm excited for the new dawn movie, since the begining of the Zombie movie onslaught with Resident Evil and then 28 Days later, I'm blissfully ignorant in believing that no new generation Zombie movie aside from house of the dead could be bad.

Then again I am blissfully ignorate, and drunk.

That's going against tradition though. Zombie are always supposed to be slow. That is their weakness, but the advantage is that they are stronger. If you want to go against that and make them fast, you might as well say vampires don't need to drink blood to live.

I can't remember zombie tradition ever saying zombies were STRONGER than living humans, but I do know that they're supposed to be slower. However, Return Of The Living Dead broke these rules, as the zombies could talk, ran fast, and were stronger than their living counterparts.

Sometimes things need to be done against tradition. And you'll notice in the original Dawn that some of the zombies moved just as fast as the living (specifically the two children), but just seemed slightly more confused. Believe me, in every "traditional" zombie movie, the speed of the reanimated cadaver has always had to do with the amount of deterioration on the body's tissues.