TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Firestarter

8 Democrat candidates left

Superb column by Jonah Goldberg.

Fulfilling their obligations in the democratic process, voters in the Iowa caucuses and the New Hampshire primaries have winnowed the field of candidates down to at least eight.

Wait: 8?

Yeah, 3 Howard Deans, 2 John Kerrys, 2 Wes Clarks and 1 John Edwards...

John Edwards... appears to be the same guy he's always been, a pretty good-looking, smooth-talking liberal trial lawyer. He's doing OK right now, but he'll probably lose if for no other reason than he's so outnumbered.

Yeah, we can judge Kerry by form letters sent out by his office staffers.

The best example was reported by The New Republic in 1991, which obtained two letters, both signed by John Kerry to the same constituent. The first read: "Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition ... to the early use of military force by the U.S. against Iraq. I share your concerns. On Jan. 11, I voted in favor of a resolution that would have insisted that economic sanctions be given more time to work and against a resolution giving the president the immediate authority to go to war."

The second letter - again, to the same constituent - came nine days later on Jan. 31: "Thank you very much for contacting me to express your support for the actions of President Bush in response to the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait. From the outset of the invasion, I have strongly and unequivocally supported President Bush's response to the crisis and the policy goals he has established with our military deployment in the Persian Gulf."

(emphasis added)

That Kerry had two "form letters" prepared defending opposite sides of the same issue is bad enough. But have you ever heard the phrase "The buck stops here?" President Truman, one of my heroes, had it on his desk. Today's assorted disgraces to his party could learn a few lessons from him.

Clever, but as usual, Jonah is rather lackadaisical with his actual research and fact-checking.

Angry Dean lost in both Iowa and New Hampshire when he was supposed to win both by a big margin. So, rather than get angrier, Dean has become "Decaf Dean." Not only does he not yell as much, but he's fired Joe Trippi - the former genius behind Angry Dean's "youth movement" - and replaced him with Roy Neel, a consummate Washington establishment insider who worked for Al Gore in the White House and then became the telecom industry's chief lobbyist.

I'm sorry, Roy Neel was the CHIEF LOBBYIST for the telecom industry?

The man himself wrote, upon joining the Dean campaign...

After nearly 20 years in public service I worked for a few years in the private sector as an advocate for local telephone companies, but never lobbied the White House on their issues. That period gave me the opportunity to reconnect with my family (I coached my sons’ little league teams for nine years) and catch my breath after the roller coaster time in the Clinton-Gore White House. But I really missed the sense of mission and passion of presidential politics.

He was a lobbyist, yes. However, "chief lobbyist"?

Yeah, okay, Jonah.

I'm sorry, Roy Neel was the CHIEF LOBBYIST for the telecom industry?

He was a lobbyist, yes. However, "chief lobbyist"?

Yeah, okay, Jonah.

Neel, Gore's former senatorial chief of staff, served as chief executive of the U.S. Telecom Association in Washington before working on Gore's 2000 presidential campaign.
- Dean Dumps Campaign Manager

That Kerry had two "form letters" prepared defending opposite sides of the same issue is bad enough. But have you ever heard the phrase "The buck stops here?" President Truman, one of my heroes, had it on his desk. Today's assorted disgraces to his party could learn a few lessons from him.

I've seen letters "signed" by Bill Clinton too when he was President, but it you looked for the paper indentation from the pen, you wouldn't see it. It's a machine facsimile.

And the sad matter is that since the Truman administration, good help has become much harder (and more expensive) to find. I've seen letters from offices that will remain nameless where the letter that got fired back was obviously written by someone who did not know the gender of the intended recipient. "Unfortunately, he is very busy." He? That's quite a rack for a "he."

Quick question on the dates of the Kerry letters. When was the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait? Was it in between the two letters? It seems like your position should be allowed to change if the situation went from Iraq being a threat to Iraq invading another country.

I don't know if this is the case, but it is something to consider.

Guest netslob
8 Democrat candidates left, The winnowing continues

what they need to start doing is handing these guys roses :D