TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest redbaron51

Nhl 2001-2002 mvp

Guest redbaron51

Right now there is only two people that deserve the Hart Trophy. Those two are:

Jarome Iginla of the Calgary Flames

and

Jose Theodore of the Montreal Canadiens.

Jarome Iginla is the NHL's leading scorer and also leading the league in goals. He has already two trophies for sure, the Art Ross trophy (most points) and the Maurice Richard trophy (most goals). He almost led Calgary to the playoffs since 6 years ago.

Jose Theodore is the NHL's best goalie this year, while his win loss record isn't as impressive as Domink Hasek, Theodore is 2nd in the league in Save Percentage and has one of the lowest Goals Against Average in the NHL. Plus 7 shut outs this season. Also, Jose is now carrying the Canadiens to the playoffs for the first time since the 97-98 season.

To me its gotta be Theodore. Iginla is good and all, but if he could have made Calgary to the playoffs, then I think he should of won the MVP.

Other candidates:

Sean Burke of Phoenix Coyotes

Patrick Roy of Colorado Avalanche

Guest treble charged

1st:  Jose Theodore- Without him, the Habs are nowhere ever remotely close to the playoffs, where they can now easily upset the Bruins, IMO.

2nd:  Jarome Iginla- If the Flames made the playoffs, Iginla is my choice, but since all he does is make a bad team mediocre, he doesn't deserve the MVP.  Don't get me wrong, he is an awesome player, but even he can't help Calgary all by himself.

3rd:  Tie-Markus Naslund/Mats Sundin- Naslund (along with Todd Bertuzzi) carried the Canucks on their back since Christmas.  The fact that Naslund is 2nd in league scoring after coming off a severly broken leg is amazing in itself.  Sundin carried the Leafs all year.  When the team was ravaged with injuries, they never really severely faltered and were in the chase for 1st place up until the last game of the year.

Guest gthureson

Yes...but goaltenders already have two awards for themselves:

The Jennings: GAA for the season

The Vezina: Outstanding goaltender

In my opinion, a goaltender has to be incredibly dominant and head and shoulders every other player in the league to win the Hart.

Theodore, while excelling and playing extraordinarily well...is not that dominant.

Neither is Roy this season.

That being said, Hasek has set the precedent that goalies can win on a regular basis.

I'd give it to Iginla.  He has been head and shoulders over everybody all year.  

Who should win: Jarome Iginla

Who will win: Jose Theodore.  Les Habs are the feel good story of the year, and that will be remembered when they go to vote.

Guest Brush with Greatness

1. Jose Theodore

2. Jarome Iginla

3. Todd Bertuzzi (led all scorers in 2002 in carrying Vancouver to a playoff spot)

Guest treble charged

I'm just loving the fact that basically all of the MVP candidates play for Canadian based teams, and that most of them are Canadians, themselves.

Guest Phr33k

5. Jaromir Jagr ('cause he's Jagr)

4. Patrick Roy ('cause he's Roy, and because he's just amazing as usual)

3. Todd Bertuzzi (without his greatness, the Canuckleheads were DOA)

2. Jarome Iginla (NHL's leading scorer. DON'T LEAVE US, IGGY!!!)

1. Jose F'N Theodore (without him, the Habs go nowhere, more valuable to them than Bertuzzi or Iginla were to their teams, and because I am the #1 Habs mark in the known world)

Guest starvenger

If the Flames had made it into the playoffs, Iggy wins it hands down.  Instead, I say Theodore wins it in a squeaker

Guest DrEvil

I didn't follow the season closely enough to be able to make a true judgement on MVP.  I would like to see Sundin get more MVP press, I don't think he deserves to win, but he's not even getting a whisper when MVP discussion comes up.  He was far and away the best player on a 100 point team that had some devastating injuries, that should at least get him some consideration.

Off topic, why can't the NHL introduce a trophy for Most Outstanding season by a forward.  Goalies have the Vezina, Defencemen have the Norris, but nothing for forwards.  It would really even out the field because so often you hear, Goalie x was the most valuable to his team, but he already got the Vezina so I'm voting for the forward with the great season.  On the subject of forwards with great seasons, it would also allow you to award a forward who has the best season, and give the Hart to the player who is most valuable to his team.

This same argument applies to baseball with pitchers and the Cy Young award.

Guest Red Hot Thumbtack In The Eye

Iginla has no business getting the MVP...he scored a lot yes...but didnt lead his team anywhere...

scoring 50 shouldnt lock up 3 trophies for you...art ross and rocket richard yes...but not MVP

theodore will win...