TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

The official off season NFL thread

Guest MD2020

Just in case anyone cares, but if your team needs an overrated MLB, please contact the Washington Redskins. Joe Gibbs has given Jeremiah Trotter permission to work out a trade.

-Both teams getting at least one possession in overtime

Bad idea. I despise the "equal opportunity" overtime system, for the simple reason that you often end up with multiple overtimes and a ridiculous amount of scoring. What was a 17-17 game at the end of regulation ends up being 52-45, which is absurd. Ever see that 7-OT college game (I don't remember which teams were playing)? It's stupid.

You have sixty fucking minutes to win the game. True, there is a chance you might never get the ball in OT, but you know what? DEFENSE IS PART OF THE GAME. If you can't play it for one measley OT possession, you probably don't deserve to win anyway.

All this PC "everybody gets an equal shot" bullshit drives me insane. It's almost as bad as the youth sports leagues where they don't even keep score.

-Making instant replay permanent

I'm in favor of replay, but they've GOT to do something about the insane amount of time the referees sit under the hood looking at replays. Just make your decision and be done with it. Stopping the game for five minutes for a replay just kills any momentum and flow that has built up.

Dislikes:

-Expanding the playoff field to 14 teams..That's almost half the NFL. I thought it was cool to see winning teams who didn't make the playoffs, that means you had to be either very good or very lucky (as in my Pack's case) to get in.

Agreed. 14 is too many. Besides, when was the last time the second or third wild-card from a conference went to the Super Bowl? Oh, that's right...never.

-The No Fun League bullshit. Let them showboat, let them have fun. I think it's only really unsportsmanlike if they are blowing them out and they then taunt them.

Agreed again. There was nothing wrong with the Rams' Bob-N-Weave, TO's Sharpie thing, or most of the other dances.

I saw draw the line at planting props before the game, however (Joe Horn, I'm looking at you). That was stupid.

Odds are that Bulger gets traded or released.

Nah, Warner's gonna be the one that gets cut. His cap figure is too large to keep around, and it's pretty questionable whether he'll ever be an effective QB anymore. Bulger has at least shown he's competent, though I doubt they'll go back to the Super Bowl with him.

Odds are that Bulger gets traded or released.

Nah, Warner's gonna be the one that gets cut. His cap figure is too large to keep around, and it's pretty questionable whether he'll ever be an effective QB anymore. Bulger has at least shown he's competent, though I doubt they'll go back to the Super Bowl with him.

Whoops. I meant Warner. That's why the rest of my post was about which team Warner could play for. Bulger is younger, cheaper, and much less of a risk than Warner. Plus Warner and his wife seem to be going kind of crazy.

Fixing Instant Replay is simple.

You get two challenges...if you challenge and are wrong...you lose a timeout and that challenge. If you challenge and are correct...you keep that challenge and still have two.

It's ridiculous to penalize someone when they are right...and the refs are wrong.

Guest Vitamin X

-Both teams getting at least one possession in overtime

Bad idea. I despise the "equal opportunity" overtime system, for the simple reason that you often end up with multiple overtimes and a ridiculous amount of scoring. What was a 17-17 game at the end of regulation ends up being 52-45, which is absurd. Ever see that 7-OT college game (I don't remember which teams were playing)? It's stupid.

You have sixty fucking minutes to win the game. True, there is a chance you might never get the ball in OT, but you know what? DEFENSE IS PART OF THE GAME. If you can't play it for one measley OT possession, you probably don't deserve to win anyway.

All this PC "everybody gets an equal shot" bullshit drives me insane. It's almost as bad as the youth sports leagues where they don't even keep score.

Defense is part of the game, but including kickoff which puts the ball at an average of about the 30-35 opposing teams line, and field goal range nowadays with a good kicker is at about the 35 yard line...you've got to defend 50-yards at the most in order to stop a team from scoring.

My solution for that is that field goals are null and void in overtime, and touchdowns must be scored in order to win. That makes a game way more exciting.

My solution for that is that field goals are null and void in overtime, and touchdowns must be scored in order to win. That makes a game way more exciting.

Oh, if they insist on changing the OT format, then field goals should definitely NOT be allowed at all. In fact, do away with extra points, too; make it only touchdowns and two-point conversions. I could probably live with that.

Guest Vitamin X

I like an idea they came up with at one of these meetings in which they did away with kicking extra points at all, and they just ask the coach if they would like to take the extra point or go for 2. I'm sure the Saints would love that proposition.

Part of the schedule's been released ... Pats vs Colts, Thursday September 9 to start the season. Is the opener a big enough game to cause Peyton to choke?

And from what I hear, the Pats are going to play Miami in their third game. If New England can win the first two, then they'd be going for the regular season winning streak record against the Dolphins.

The 15 yard penalty on a celebration in a blowout game wont matter.

If the score is 35-0 in the 4th quarter and the team with 35 scores another TD, and say its a guys 5th TD, hes gonna celebrate irregardless of a 15 yard penalty or not. In that situation it is probably unsportsman like.

I wanna know if this no celebration penalty will apply to defensive players who after they make a big play go nuts, dance, wiggle on the ground or whatever. It sounds like the rule is biased towards offensive players, but defensive players celebrate a whole lot more often over big plays and even something as minor as a tackle on 1rst down.

Instant replay as it is is totally stupid. I would propose to change it so that there is a referee up in the booth who is sequestered from seeing any portion of the game. When a coach challenges, instead of having the referee who made the potentially bad call decide whether his call was bad or not, throw the call up to the sequestered ref who would only see the disputed call and the situation its in (what down it is, whats the time). You would get a much better unbiased call this way. Asking the referee who made the potentially bad call to go out to the middle of the field and basically say that he screwed up isn't the best way to ensure that the call was made correctly. And this will take no longer than having the ref trot over to the monitor and go about the process themselves.

This is not the biased Ravens fan in me who saw Brian Billick get just about every challenge he threw a flag on get upheld. Some of them were the right calls, but I saw too many calls where it was totally obvious that the Ref didn't want to go out there and say he screwed up so we have some bogus "not enough indisputable evidence" even though they showed the same 18 different camera angles on TV that clearly showed the call should have been overturned.

Guest Vitamin X

It's nice to have a slot receiver.. And Thrash is a good #3 receiver.+

Didn't Thrash use to be a Redskin?

Guest drdrainoscott
They traded a 5th rounder next year, not this year. So they are still holding onto a mighty 2 picks this year.

Mighty three picks you mean. They have a 1st, 4th and 5th

Ok, I understand the Thrash trade then...a fifth rounder next year isn't a terrible price, as long as Thrash's salary isn't too high.

They actually got a 6th today when they traded their FB to the Bears.(source)

So, they have four picks now?

Guest drdrainoscott

I thought they got a 4th from the Bears for the fullback, but I guess it could be a 6th.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

Rumors O' The Day

NOTE: I am aware that "The Day" in the title is April Fool's Day, however, I promise these are all true. Well, true rumors anyway. Rumors by definition are not necessarily true. You know what I meant.

- Matt Millen goes to Raiders for shadowy front office thing. Lions are happy to let him leave so they don't have to pay his dumb ass

- Barry Sanders has offered his services to Brian Billick if, and only if, Jamal Lewis is suspended/arrested/whatever this season.

- Vikings close to a deal with Cards to send Randy Moss for a holy fuckload of picks, incliding this year's 3rd overall pick, which they would use on Larry Fitzgerald (if he's still there)

gah! I actually belived those. Well not the Barry Sanders one.

Guest Vitamin X

That April Fool's shit is fucking stupid, and worst of all, NOT FUNNY.

I don't understand why some other team doesn't trade for Northcutt and then ship him off to Baltimore. If Cleveland is willing to give him up for a second rounder, any team below the Ravens could then send him to Baltimore for their 2nd round pick and basically move up a few spots for nothing.

but no one is willing to give a 2nd rounder for Northcutt, which is why he's still in Cleveland in the first place I'm guessing.

Guest Astro

Packers’ McKenzie wants out

Green Bay Packers coach Mike Sherman may have a serious fire to put out. Starting left cornerback Mike McKenzie is unhappy and reportedly has requested a trade.

Guest Vitamin X

That would be a huge blow to the secondary. Throw anywhere Darren Sharper isn't, and you'll complete a pass. In a division with Randy Moss/Daunte Culpepper, I learned the hard way in `99 you need a secondary to make championship hopes a reality.