TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

The official off season NFL thread

Well, looks like things are already taking place. Credit to Rotoworld.com

Patriots quarterbacks coach John Hufnagel was named the Giants' offensive coordinator today.

Hufnagel served as an assistant under new Giants coach Tom Coughlin in 2002 with the Jaguars. "John has earned his stripes," Coughlin said. "He is prepared to accept this responsibility. He is an outstanding leader, and he will be very good on game day."

Cardinals released quarterback Jeff Blake.

The Cardinals terminated the final two years on the three-year, $7.5 million contract Blake signed last March. "Josh McCown is our starting quarterback, so we felt it is in Jeff's best interests to release him now to give him the opportunity to catch on with another team," new Cardinals coach Dennis Green said. After a disappointing season in Arizona, Blake doesn't figure to be considered for anything more than a backup job in 2004.

Comments: Hufnagel has helped Brady improve though a lot of credit also goes to Charlie Weiss. Considering that the Pats have basically had only 2 QB's for the past decade, I don't know how good Hufnagel is however he should help out the inconsistent Giants offense from last year or at the very least, help play to Collins' strengths. I don't see why the Cardinals wouldn't keep Blake as a backup but I guess it was more of a monetary situation then anything else which is unfortunate since with a more capable receiving corp he could be a decent player when entering the game.

Losing Hufnagel won't really bother the Pats at all as this was only his second season with the team and with Brady/Davey/Kingsbury(Rookie).

However, i'm sure he's learned ALOT from Weiss and from his past exoeriences qith many good QB's.

He'd be a good fit for Atlanta, actually. He's mobile (though not as mobile as Vick, obv), and has a strong arm, which means he wouldn't be the radical change for the offense that Doug Johnson was in the event Vick gets hurt.

Guest MikeSC
The Bills will probably hire Sam Wyche as QB coach in the near future. I read at the Bengals site that he's having a tryout this week to see how his voice will hold up under constant use.

I heard about that. He's been a high school coach here for the last year or two and his voice is gone. I have not heard that his voice has had any improvement, so I don't know what he could do on gameday.

I'm not big on malpractice suits, but I hope the guy who butchered his larynx got nailed.

-=Mike

Credit Rotoworld.com and the corresponding newspapers

The Super Bowl champion New England Patriots signed reserve fullback Philip Crosby and 11 other players today for NFL Europe and training camp consideration.

Crosby was with the Bills before landing on the injured reserve last season. Other Pats signees: offensive tackle Jack Fadule, linebacker Justin Kurpeikis, running backs Malaefou Mackenzi and Frank Moreau, wide receiver Marquise Walker, defensive back Scott Farley, linebacker Lawrence Flugence, defensive backs Jason Perry and Mike Hall, offensive tackle David Pruce and defensive lineman Buck Rasmussen.

The Cleveland Browns signed quarterback Todd Husak and seven other players today, most of whom will go to NFL Europe.

Other signees: wide receivers Richard Alston and Hugh Smith, defensive linemen Corey Jackson and Cedric Scott, running back Joffrey Reynolds, defensive back Ricky Sharpe and David Young. Reynolds was with Green Bay earlier this season. Nothing too promising in this group.

Vikings owner Red McCombs says defensive tackle Chris Hovan will not get a contract extension this offseason.

Hovan took a step back this year. He certainly gets more publicity than most defensive tackles who don't make the Pro Bowl. He also is the worst guest host ever of the NFL Network's Total Access show. Hovan asked Hall of Fame inductee Carl Eller if guys back in the day used to play with a "kick-ass" attitude. Eller said yes and Hovan said that's good, because he loves a "kick-ass" attitude.

Clinton Portis denied the Denver Post's report a day earlier that he is considering holding out.

Portis would like to get a deal done, but stepped back from any threats to sit out training camp. He told the NFL netowork and the Rocky Mountain News that he, "Never said that I wasn't coming to camp if my contract didn't get redone...I slapped my name on the dotted line. So I've got four years." For what it's worth, Portis sounded genuine in interviews that he wouldn't hold out.

Comments: Isn't Walker like 6'2" or so? He could be decent as a David Patten type role player. I'm not surprised Hovan got axed as he was very subpar in the season despite the publicity he got. Also when it comes to Portis, I'll believe it when I see it.

The Seahawks will send representatives to watch the workout of Texans' QB Drew Henson, The Seattle Times reported on Feb. 5. Will Lewis, the Seahawks' director of pro personnel, will be at Henson's workout.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Dave McGinnis had other coaching opportunities after being fired by the Arizona Cardinals. He just couldn't pass up the chance to coach with the Tennessee Titans.

"This opportunity here, this is what I wanted," he said.

Coach Jeff Fisher introduced his newest assistant at a news conference Thursday. McGinnis, fired Dec. 29 by Arizona after a 4-12 season, will be an assistant head coach and linebackers assistant.

McGinnis fills the void left by Gunther Cunningham, another former head coach who handled both jobs for Fisher. Cunningham returned to Kansas City last month as defensive coordinator.

Fisher is excited to add someone who's not only a friend, but also someone with McGinnis' experience.

"We're looking for every opportunity, every advantage to get over the hump, and we think Dave's going to give us a great deal of help there," Fisher said. "He has a lot of experience in different defenses. We feel like he's got an awful lot to add."

The Titans finished 12-4 this season and have reached the playoffs four of the past five seasons. But they haven't returned to the Super Bowl since the franchise's only appearance in 2000.

The 52-year-old McGinnis has been coaching since 1973 and started his NFL career with Chicago in 1986 -- the year after Fisher concluded his playing career with the Bears and went into coaching himself.

McGinnis spent 10 seasons with the Bears before being hired by Arizona as defensive coordinator. He held that job for five seasons before replacing Vince Tobin midway through the 2000 season.

McGinnis said he never considered sitting out this season.

"This organization has a tremendous reputation in the league because of the type of players they have incorporated here, because of the success they have had on the field and the manner in which they've had that success," McGinnis said.

After spending seven years coaching linebackers under former Chicago coach Mike Ditka, McGinnis said some terminology used by the Titans' defense takes him back to the 1980s.

"The reason it's still there is because it's very, very good stuff, and it's very effective," McGinnis said. "Some things people copied around the league. When people are doing offseason (video) cutups, one of the defenses they're studying is this defense right here and how they do things," McGinnis said.

McGinnis was also attracted by the chance to work with a deep linebacking corps led by All-Pro Keith Bulluck and four-year veteran Peter Sirmon.

"I'm fortunate now to be linebackers coach with a great group of linebackers here, and I'm really looking forward to it. I really am," he said.

Sirmon attended the news conference and said the linebackers wish Cunningham well, but expect to keep learning from McGinnis.

"You move on and keep getting better," he said.

KAPOLEI, Hawaii -- Shortly after Pro Bowl practice ended, Julian Peterson was surrounded by microphones and cameras. A commercial was being filmed, and the San Francisco 49ers' All-Pro linebacker was the star of the scene.

During his second straight trip to the Pro Bowl, Peterson finally is attracting a national audience for his amazing skills -- and he'll soon get the huge payday he has earned during four increasingly excellent seasons in San Francisco.

"It's wild," Peterson said of his acting debut. "It's just fun to get to do some new things out here in Hawaii."

Peterson will be an unrestricted free agent on March 3, and the 49ers know they must pay top dollar to keep one of the NFL's most versatile young defensive talents.

Peterson knows what type of contract he deserves, but he spent the last month mostly resting and recuperating from San Francisco's disappointing 7-9 season. When he leaves Hawaii, he plans to devote his time to determining his football future.

"After this week, that's my main priority," Peterson said. "I would like to stay if possible, depending on how this contract thing goes. If not, I'm gone."

The 49ers probably wouldn't let that happen. Even if they're unable to sign Peterson in February, San Francisco would almost certainly designate him as its franchise player, preventing him from leaving town and giving him a one-year contract worth the average salary of the NFL's top five linebackers.

General manager Terry Donahue has made Peterson his top priority during the offseason, placing the young linebacker above receiver Terrell Owens, also a free agent hoping for a huge contract.

And while Owens has openly spoken of his interest in playing for other teams, Peterson remains as grateful to the 49ers as he was four years ago when they made him their first-round draft pick.

"I think everybody knows I'm a pretty loyal guy," he said. "I don't know how it will turn out, but I know what it means to me to be a 49er."

Peterson also plans to learn as much as he can about new San Francisco defensive coordinator Willy Robinson, a former Pittsburgh assistant and a longtime associate of coach Dennis Erickson. Robinson was hired by the 49ers last month after the Atlanta Falcons hired Jim Mora as their head coach.

"All I've known for four years is Jim Mora, but it was a great opportunity for him," Peterson said. "I think (Robinson) will probably do a great job, once he looks at our personnel and the things we can do.

"I would like to see what his thought process is. I'm pretty sure when he knows the talent of the linebackers that we've got, he'll use a lot of linebacker sets and stuff like we've been doing. I'm looking forward to sitting down and talking to him."

Mora took full advantage of Peterson's versatility over the past four seasons, using him at nearly every spot on defense. In one game last season, he lined up as a linebacker, a defensive end, a cornerback and a safety.

"Jim didn't want me to be just an everyday linebacker," Peterson said. "He wanted me to be an every-down player, one of the best players in the league. By him letting me play all these different positions in all these different ways, I just feel like I can't ever be counted out."

Owens can't play in the Pro Bowl because of his broken collarbone, but he has been spotted several times at a bar in the Waikiki hotel where players' families and NFL personnel are staying. He also got together for a drink with Philadelphia quarterback Donovan McNabb, who planned to pitch Owens on the virtues of signing with the Eagles.

Owens and Peterson also met up Tuesday night. Peterson, who traveled to Hawaii with several family members, plans to take advantage of every recreational opportunity before Sunday's game and the upcoming negotiations.

"Instead of being enemies with guys, you get a chance to kick it and meet their families," Peterson said. "Then you get a chance to go down to Waikiki and maybe get on the Jet-Skis, so it's a fun time.

"All week, we've been mai tai-ing it. All week!"

Is Josh McCown even worthy of being a starter for even a season (If the Cardinals don't draft Manning or Rothlisberger they're complete idiots)? I think if the Cardinals draft Manning or Rothlisberger they should just A. Throw 'em to the wolves and see what happens or B. Sign Marc Brunell to a one or two year contract.

My prediction for this offseason:

The Eagles piss off all of their fans by solving their WR problem by breaking the bank and going after the big name FA ......... Justin McCareins.

Hey now, McCareins is young and talented and he could be the Peerless Price to McNabb's Vick for a fraction of the cost.

That said, I'm praying J-Mac resigns with the Titans.

Peerless Price is not a #1 reciever...and I don't think he ever will be.

He won't block for the run, he drops the easy catches...and last year was the first time he faced double team ever. I can't believe how big a contract Atlanta gave him.

What do the Cards/Dennis Green see in McNown? I don't get it.

Blake is a decent QB, and would have been better if he had some non-rookie receivers to throw to. He'd be a good backup on a team with an iffy starter, like the Steelers or the Bears. Actually, who the heck is the Bears starter? I imagine Kordell isn't going to be around again.

Guest Salacious Crumb
What do the Cards/Dennis Green see in McNown? I don't get it.

Blake is a decent QB, and would have been better if he had some non-rookie receivers to throw to. He'd be a good backup on a team with an iffy starter, like the Steelers or the Bears. Actually, who the heck is the Bears starter? I imagine Kordell isn't going to be around again.

They see drafting Manning or Rothlisberger.

Grossman is the Bear's starter.

Rex Grossman is the Bears QB. Best Bears QB I've ever seen, which isn't saying much, but he looks like the best they've had in twenty years. They have Chris Chandler backing him right now, unless he retires.

They could really use a backup in Denver, though.

I think Boller was picked 17th, while Grossman was picked in the 22nd area.

As for McCareins, I like him and think he could be a solid receiver, but for a WR group in need of a major overhaul he will not satisfy the masses to say the least.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Boller's drafting was really a mystery. He didn't have a great college year and his accuracy is pretty poor, but so many people were impressed with his arm strength that they became blinded to his weaknesses.

Boller's drafting was really a mystery.  He didn't have a great college year and his accuracy is pretty poor, but so many people were impressed with his arm strength that they became blinded to his weaknesses.

Boller was the yearly looked great in workouts player who's stock skyrockets and someone wastes a first round pick on him. I couldn't believe going into last year's draft that there was actually debate on whether Boller or Byron Leftwich would be the second quarterback taken after Carson Palmer. Even though college stats obviously don't tell the whole story of a player, if a quarterback couldn't complete 50% of their passes in college (in a west coast offense no less) then they probably aren't worth a 1st round pick.

What do you mean Boller was overrated? He could throw a ball 50 yards from his knees. That skill gets used often in the pro game.

No chance in hell the Eagles trade up for a WR. First of all, Reid has a low tolerance for rookie WRs. See Billy McMullen this year, his first game he dropped a pass and was never heard from again. Reid doesn't see WRs as a big deal so he wouldn't trade up to get one of the top ones. Of course I wouldn't trade up either as there are so many good-great WR prospects this year it is unnecessary IMO. But what I see him doing is signing a McCareins and maybe using a later round draft pick to develop. Especially if they sign McCareins, since he will cost them a draft pick.

Guest Choken One
The Bills will probably hire Sam Wyche as QB coach in the near future. I read at the Bengals site that he's having a tryout this week to see how his voice will hold up under constant use.

fuck that would be awesome if he would come back...

Screw it...Jon Kitna and Carson Palmer can fucking learn Sign Language.

Well...Wyche wants back in to the NFL badly, and the new Bills coach got his first job in the league from Wyche...so things are looking pretty good. Wyche was quoted as saying he'd take the job if it was offered to him...and I can't imagine it won't be. The Bills didn't even have a QB coach last year. Whether he can shout or not...it's still an upgrade over nothing.

What happened to Wyche's voice?

I'm not even a Vikings fan, but I wish they would dump Chris Hovan. He acts like a complete jerk, with the face paint, and b.s. wild man attitude. It's nice to see he embarasses himself in front of national audience has well.

He had a heart problem...and somehow during surgery one of his vocal chords was accidentally damaged. It's what caused him to have to quit his broadcasting career. He spent the last year or so being QB coach for a high school that he substitute teaches for...so I guess it's good enough to go. I saw an interview with him before the Super Bowl...and he sounds good...I guess he just can't yell.