TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Chunk

Hacking windows programs

Ive heard of a little program that lets you modify windows programs like Notepad, calc etc.

Does anyone know whats its called or where i can get it?

By the way, im not sure if this is illegal or not? Surely once you have bought windows (and hence notepad, calc etc) its yours to do with what you like.

By the way, im not sure if this is illegal or not? Surely once you have bought windows (and hence notepad, calc etc) its yours to do with what you like.

Yeah, you'd think that would be the case, but it's not. It's illegal thanks to the Windows user licence and a few well lobbied bills from Washington.

Welcome to Microsoft's America.

Yeah, you'd think that would be the case, but it's not. It's illegal thanks to the Windows user licence and a few well lobbied bills from Washington.

Welcome to Microsoft's America.

Really? I had no idea that was the case.

I know it is Legal to hack an XBOX and install Linux, as long as you dont expect to then keep your warranty.

If your buying it and then modding it for your own use, that shouldnt be illegal. Its like buying a car and then not being legally allowed to carry out maintenance modifications on it.

Crazy!

Guest Krazy Karter

There's a program out there called "Resource Hacker" which modifies the text inside executables.

You can use it to change menus and ebedded icons/pictures, but little more.

I know it is Legal to hack an XBOX and install Linux, as long as you dont expect to then keep your warranty.

Actually I'm pretty sure I read about legislation (that damned Digital Millennium Copyright Act of course) in the States that actually makes it ILLEAGAL to do that. Which is just insane; you can't do what you want to your own property?

Actually I'm pretty sure I read about legislation (that damned Digital Millennium Copyright Act of course) in the States that actually makes it ILLEAGAL to do that. Which is just insane; you can't do what you want to your own property?

I wouldnt mind finding out for definite what the law is on this, because Im sure it is Legal, but invalidates your warranty.

Like you say though, if it is illegal, thats just pure insanity.

Guest KJ Brackish

I think it IS legal as long as you don't use the mod for your personal benefit (as far as cheating on games.) That's why you get banned from Xbox Live and possible criminal charges if they catch you modding for the wrong reasons. I haven't heard of anything saying you can't mod your Xbox though. I mean, c'mon....mine is modded to a minimal extent and I haven't been caught yet.

DFA