TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nevermortal

Sapp v. Tenzan?

Strong Style Spirit reported that Tenzan and Sapp might be going one on one at the 5/3 Dome Show.

My question....can Sapp job in worked matches? I don't remember anytime recently that Sapp has jobbed in a wrestling ring. Please, correct my stupidity if I'm wrong.

If Sapp can't job, do you think they'd put the IWGP belt on him or have it end in a draw?

Guest Black Tiger

Sapp did a job at one of the WRESTLE-1 shows to Ernesto Hoost (sp?). It was a publicity stunt to heat up their K1 fight. With the shoot craze that is all over Japan Sapp would probably draw a good number for the Tokyo Dome.

I don't think Sapp would be IWGP Champion though, he's not tied down to one company at the moment, and Chono is smart enough to know that a 30 or 60 minute draw won't exactly be an artistic beauty. My guess is that if the match ever happens, it either be non title or that Sapp jobs. Tenzan jobbed to Sapp on 1/4 so it makes sense to have Tenzan go over here.

Guest RickyChosyu

"Sapp did a job at one of the WRESTLE-1 shows to Ernesto Hoost (sp?). It was a publicity stunt to heat up their K1 fight."

One distinction that should be made there is that Hoost is an icon in K1 and had already fought Sapp twice by the time they had that worked match. The match was more of a way to heat up their ongoing rivalry in K1 than to heat up a particular fight.

"With the shoot craze that is all over Japan Sapp would probably draw a good number for the Tokyo Dome."

Like he did at that very same WRESTLE-1 show?

Sapp has been on a few NJ Dome shows, and none of them have done near the bussiness that his shoot fights have. Clearly, Sapp's drawing power as a shoot fighter is much stronger than as a pro wrestler.

"I don't think Sapp would be IWGP Champion though, he's not tied down to one company at the moment..."

They've put the title on worse slugs before, and while Sapp does freelance, so did former champion Yoshihiro Takayama.

"...and Chono is smart enough to know that a 30 or 60 minute draw won't exactly be an artistic beauty."

Well, he was nutty enough to book himself in 60 minute draw with Nagata in 2002. Hell, I wouldn' say that's any less stupid than booking Sapp to go 30 with Tenzan. Even if you're a big fan of Chono's booking, I think you have to admit that his pention for booking matches to long has gotten ridiculously out of hand at times.

"My guess is that if the match ever happens, it either be non title or that Sapp jobs. Tenzan jobbed to Sapp on 1/4 so it makes sense to have Tenzan go over here."

There's no chance of Tenzan going over Sapp. K1 is a really lucrative company right now, and Sapp is their top star. Pro wrestling, on the other hand, is in the shitter.

Considering the above, what motivation does K1 have to allow Tenzan to go over their top draw? Losing to a pro-wrestler makes Sapp look weak, since pro wrestlers have no credibility with K1's audience, and even if they book a re-match under boxing or MMA rules, no one buys Tenzan as a shoot threat to Sapp.

Guest Black Tiger

well next month Sapp is supposedly going for the IWGP Title, no chance in hell he wins. Unless Inoki is either drunk, or under serious drug influence.

The bigger question is, who will he be wrestling. I think its a safe bet that Tenzan will go over Minoru Suzuki on 2/29, but I'm 50/50 on the Kensuke match. Logic dictates that with Kensuke wrestling for just about every group there is (and a rumord Champions Carnival entrant) that Tenzan would go over. NJPW however, has a history of stupid title changes for no real reason. So I guess we'll just wait and see.

That hasn't been confirmed yet, and I'll be really disappointed if that's the case. Tenzan put on a HELL of a performance at 2/15, and it'd be a shame to see his title run cut off prematurely for a second time.

Guest Black Tiger

With the talk on Nakamura almost ready to come back, I figured out what NJPW is thinking. They already screwed up Tenzan's first reign, so he's going to beat Suzuki, probably beat Sasaki, and then job to Bab Sapp. Sapp will then serve as cannon fodder for....NAKAMURA.

Gotta love NJPW if that's what happens, for the second time, they've given Tenzan a great buildup en route to winning the IWGP Title, so far they've pissed it away once. Let's hope that they're smarter this time around.

Guest Dynamite Kido
With the talk on Nakamura almost ready to come back, I figured out what NJPW is thinking. They already screwed up Tenzan's first reign, so he's going to beat Suzuki, probably beat Sasaki, and then job to Bab Sapp. Sapp will then serve as cannon fodder for....NAKAMURA.

Gotta love NJPW if that's what happens, for the second time, they've given Tenzan a great buildup en route to winning the IWGP Title, so far they've pissed it away once. Let's hope that they're smarter this time around.

Ahhhh, the one thing that ALL puro companies can use right now.