TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
slabinskia

just got in a japan comp

I just got in a japan comp and im looking for some opinions on the matches.maybe some star ratings.ive only seen about 10 japan matches that i thought were really amazing so that is why i posted.

Choshu vs Flair, AJPW '4/23/85

Tsuruta vs Flair, AJPW '4/24/85

Murdoch & Adonis vs Kimura & Fujinami, NJPW '5/24/85

Tsuruta vs Tenryu, AJPW '6/5/89

Furnas & Kroffat vs Fuyuki & Kawada, AJPW '6/5/89

Liger vs Sano, NJPW '7/13/89

Tsuruta & Kobashi vs Hansen & Tenryu, AJPW '7/13/89

Liger vs Sano, NJPW '8/10/89

Kawada vs Kobashi, AJPW Champs Carnival '97

Williams & Gordy vs Misawa & Kawada, AJPW '1/30/93

Murahama vs Minoru Tanaka, NJPW 5/27/01

Liger vs Minoru Tanaka, NJPW 6/24/01

Kojima vs Tenryu, AJPW 7/17/02

Hansen & Tenryu vs Tsuruta & Yatsu, AJPW RWTL 12/6/89

Brody & Snuka vs Terry & Dory Funk, AJPW RWTT '81

O. Hart vs Benoit, NJPW (handheld)

Benoit & Liger vs Steiners, NJPW

Benoit vs Liger, NJPW

Tenryu & Tsuruta vs Flair & Martel, AJPW 10/22/85

Flair vs Martel, AJPW 10/21/85

njpw tosj93 benoit vs el samurai

ajpwtv 12/20/92 hansen/spivey vs gordy/williams

vader/bigelow vs hase/muta 5/16/92

njpw 6/11/96 black tiger vs benoit

liger classics liger vs pegases kid 11/1/90

ajpwclassics75 funks vs dibiase/hansen

ajpw champion carnival williams vs kawada 10/22/94

ajpw real world tag league williams/gordy vs spivey/hansen 12/7/90

Guest RickyChosyu

Your dates are all over the place. Some have only the year (which doesn't help much, since many of the matches happened multiple times through out a given year) and some only say the promotion. No one can respond if they can't make heads nor tails of which matches you're talking about here.

Also, a note on the two "Liger vs Sano, NJPW '88" matches you have listed: Keiichi Yamada didn't wrestle under the Jushin Liger mask in NJPW until 4/24/89. The famous Liger/Sano series took place during mid-late '89 to early '90.

Clean this up some, and it'll be easier to respond to.

Yeah, I've seen your top 50 list. (rolls eyes).

anyway:

-classic.

Furnas & Kroffat vs Fuyuki & Kawada, AJPW '6/5/89

-Great until Furnas gets so confused that Kroffat has to audibly call the finishing spot, which get's botched anyway.

-Excellent but not really great.

-If this is what I think it is, it's really just a good exhibition.

-Not bad.

-Probably both guy's best performances, which is really saying something.

-Da hell? Champion Carnival is 4/94, this is the TC match. Carnival Finals is one of the greatest singles matches of all time, while the Triple Crown match is just good.

Kawada vs Kobashi, AJPW Champs Carnival '97

-Excellent, but these two have had way better.

Guest Loss

This was a terrific match -- definitely one that gets a little better with repeated viewings. This isn't as 'busy' as many Flair matches, but that's actually a good thing, as they're going around 28 minutes or so and Jumbo strives for focus and meaning over 'stuff', as some have described Flair's bag of tricks. Great match, and an example of what Flair could have been had he consistently worked with high-level opponents who forced him to be different. I still rank 06/03/83 #1 in the Flair/Jumbo series, but this is probably a strong #2 contender.

I remember watching this match and liking it, but I don't remember it really grabbing me by the balls and drawing me in. I should give it a rewatch.

Super fun and also historic, as Stan Hansen debuts for AJPW here. This is better than any of the other acclaimed Brody matches I've seen, singles or tags. (Note - I've seen the Flair match from 02/11/83, which had good stuff, but was largely a yawner, and I haven't seen any of the Brody/Inoki matches.)

If you've seen Benoit/Snow from 02/25/95, you've seen this match. Totally devoid of any real emotion or fan connection, more of a technical exhibition, as was previously stated, than the classic you might expect from these two. Good stuff, but nothing to make the viewer really care about either guy.

This was a fun match the first time I saw it in 1999, if this is from the 04/16/94 TV, which I'm guessing it is. I haven't watched it in nearly five years, and my tastes have changed dramatically over the past 18 months, much less five years, so giving it a rewatch wouldn't be a bad idea. As a fan of Liger, Benoit and the Steiners as a tag, I'd expect good things.

Benoit vs Liger, NJPW

This could be any variety of matches.

Tenryu & Tsuruta vs Flair & Martel, AJPW 10/22/85

Fun stuff, and you'd expect Flair and Jumbo to have the best sequences, but it's actually Flair and Tenryu stealing the match here, as they have really good chemistry and chop the hell out of each other.

Martel brings his 'A' game and Flair follows suit and the result is a great match. If Martel was consistently as good as he is here, he would be remembered as an all-time great. Fast-paced, but the pace is more a result of offense than typical Flair stuff. Worth seeing.

I believe the date on this is 06/14/93. It's a terrific match, although it's not a career match for either guy, as they'd both go on to have better matches, but they'd also have better matches before this. An interesting question to pose is whether this match or the 07/07/95 match is better. 7/7 gets more time, but that doesn't always equate to a better match. I don't really know how I feel about it, but I'd be willing to rewatch both for the sake of discussion.

The JIP version from TV is great and I have the recently-released full version on the way to me as we speak. I'll talk more about it then, but this was a great match with great use of the sleeper as a centerpiece, that establishes Eddy as a sympathetic figure.

ajpw real world tag league williams/gordy vs spivey/hansen 12/7/90

Haven't seen this, but I can't imagine it topping Misawa/Kawada v Jumbo/Taue from the same show.

Guest Dynamite Kido

-I've seen several of their matches, but not knowing the dates of the ones I have I don't know if I've seen this one especially. But if it anything like the others, they are ALL great matches.

I really did like this one. Although I've been told by many that they didn't like it. I am just a fan of both workers, so it's safe to say I enjoy the way they match up. Good match here.

Kojima vs Tenryu, AJPW 7/17/02

-I actually have this match, but I haven't gotten a chance to watch it. I would like to hear people's opinions on it though.

-Fun match, good for people who haven't had a chance to see Snuka work outside the WWF.

- This is one of the most fun tag team matches I have ever seen. Awesome match.

-WOW, that is all I have to say about this one. I have seen Martel work too many times to count. But honestly, this is Martel's greatest match I've ever seen.

Legendary jr. match. I am sure you can find several reviews of this one on the net. Awesome match.

ajpwclassics75 funks vs dibiase/hansen

-Great match, with great workers. Really old school.

This is a very solid match. I see why some people dislike Williams selling in this match, but Kawada is on the money in this one.