TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MillenniumMan831

Tower of Doom (GAB88)

We all know and love War Games and rightfully so, but for the Great American Bash 1988, Big Dust saw fit to book a Tower of Doom match instead. The setup was the good ol Triple Decker cage. There were GIGANTIC ladders that led to the top where the cage was super small on top, medium in the center, and full size at the bottom. There were 2 teams of 5 and it would start w/ 2 guys at the very top. Every 2 minutes, the airhorn would go off and one man from each team would enter while the doors to get down a level would be unlocked for 30 or so seconds.

The match was Jimmy & Ronnie Garvin, the Road Warriors, & Dr. Death vs. Sullivan, Rotunda, Al Perez, Russian Assassian, & Ivan Koloff

The action on top was so cluttered when more than 2 men were in, but the crowd was totally into it the whole time as there was apprarently a big feud between Jimmy Garvin and Kevin Sullivan over Precious (who was holding the key at the bottom to completely exit the Tower). The center cage was alright but once it got down to the ring, it was kinda worthless. The face would beat on the heel and escape. The heel could just shrug and escape as soon as the face was gone.

The end came when Jimmy Garvin and Sullivan was at the bottom and KS kicked Garvin out of the cage giving the faces the win. Sullivan then began to creepily stalk Precious after he locked the door. Hawk and Garvin then climbed the ladder to get all the way to the top and come down the cages as this was the only way in. The pop was ELECTRIC when Hawk came down to beat down Sullivan. Garvin escaped w/ Precious and embraced.

I didn't think it was a great match by any means but I gotta hand it to the NWA to have the guts to air this on ppv as a number of things could have gone majorly wrong on a worse case scenario. I'd be afraid to slip and fall off the ladder if I was going up that high. It was a pretty cool one time alternative to the War Games but it's never talked about.

Any thoughts?

TOO OVERBOOKED, even for Dusty. It looks good on paper, but once you put it to a match, it makes no sense. Because really, wouldn't you just let all of the other team leave sans one guy, and then beat him to a bloody pulp. Then all of your team leaves? There is no real logic flow to it. And it was retarded to have fighting in that small cage. It hardly fit many. I saw it once, and gave it a DUD. But wasn't the most over booked match he ever made. That honor goes to Bunkhouse Buck matches of Over the top rope rules to a CAGE battle royal.

Think about that one.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
TOO OVERBOOKED, even for Dusty. It looks good on paper, but once you put it to a match, it makes no sense. Because really, wouldn't you just let all of the other team leave sans one guy, and then beat him to a bloody pulp. Then all of your team leaves? There is no real logic flow to it. And it was retarded to have fighting in that small cage. It hardly fit many. I saw it once, and gave it a DUD. But wasn't the most over booked match he ever made. That honor goes to Bunkhouse Buck matches of Over the top rope rules to a CAGE battle royal.

Think about that one.

I've never seen the match, but it sounds the same as any kind of Tag Team Cage Match where you could only by escape. Let one guy leave, then beat the hell out of the other until he can't move.

Not much logic there.

yeah, but it is 10 people, not 4. And it is three cages, so it is too over booked for a simple Summerslam 01 type cage match(DDP/Kanyon vs Taker/Kane).