TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DCMaximo

Funaki vs Hidaka

I was watching the Michinoku Pro Ten Year Anniversary and noticed that Funaki defeated Ikuto Hidaka using a crossface, a la Chris Benoit. My question is: was there any reason he chose that finisher? Obviously he can't use it in the WWE, due to it being Benoit's (he uses a reverse tornado DDT instead), but was it his finisher before he joined the WWE or is there some historical reason he chose to use it? Any help is muchly appreciated- thanks guys.

Guest Salacious Crumb

It's a typical junior finisher. It's not uncommon for armbars, leglocks and cross faces to get the submission on a regular basis.

I really enjoyed this match. Not as good as the match before it or after it, but really fun. I liked seeing Funaki do some actual wrestling instead of his WWE shit. **3/4

I enjoyed it as well, although the main event certainly blew it away. I've never seen Funaki in Japan before, but it was nice to see how good he can be, especially some of his mat work. He was very over too, especially doing his "Smackdown #1 announcer" schtick.

Thanks for the info on the submission finishes- I'm a relative newcomer to the Japanese style, so I appreciate the help.

Guest Black Tiger

I think Funaki may actually have some shoot training, I seem to recall him being paired off with Ishikawa in the 1994 Jr. Tag League

I think Funaki may actually have some shoot training, I seem to recall him being paired off with Ishikawa in the 1994 Jr. Tag League

Yeah, he wrestled shootstyle in his match with Ultimo at the '95 J Cup.

Guest RickyChosyu

It also might be good to factor in that his last name is that of one of the more famous stars of shootstyle, Masakatsu Funaki.