TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

TNA news and notes

Johnny Swinger missed last night's NWA TNA PPV as he and his wife celebrated the birth of their daughter yesterday. On behalf of everyone from PWInsider.com, we'd like to give our congratulations to the new parents.

I've heard from a number of TNA sources today that Sting wasn't interested in doing much last night and was "uncooperative." Sting, who was in Nashville all week filming the movie about his life, arrived after the TNA tapings had begun. He lateness showing up prevented him from being able to go over his segment with Mike Tenay, as Tenay was already at ringside calling matches. Once they got to the ring, Tenay was trying to feed Sting questions and Sting was more interested in playing to the crowd to get a pop. It's a shame Tenay, who always does a great job tying segments together, had to deal with such a situation.

The status of Chris Sabin's injured knee is still unknown as he is awaiting the results of an MRI he took on Tuesday.

Konnan was legitimately late to the building last night. He missed his original flight and didn't arrive in Nashville until 7:10 PM local time. Konnan actually left from the airport without even getting his luggage and was driven right to the Fairgrounds just before he hit the ring, so they turned it into a storyline.

Jeff Jarrett and Dutch Mantel are behind the creative scripting of the TNA shows at this point. Vince Russo is appearing on camera at this point because he is asked more then because of any desire to be on camera. He is just going along with what is being asked of him. Mantel is apparently behind the idea of putting Russo on TV regularly, according to one source.

The worker who teamed with Kid Kash last night works Tennessee independents as Shadow. He was brought in for a look during the Xplosion tapings but once the Swinger situation went down, the call was made to put Shadow into the NWA tournament match since he shared a likeness to Kash.

I've heard the Great Britain vs. Mexico matches that were taped for the America's X Cup III PPV in a few weeks are below the standard of the previous X Cup shows. A big reason for this is that much of the British talent that the company had wanted to book (Robbie Brookside and Jonny Storm were two names I heard) already had previous commitments. Dave Taylor, the British star best known to American fans as a member of the Blue Bloods in WCW, is working as the Team UK Coach. I'll have more on the America's X Cup III on my Elite Hotline tomorrow.

Credit: PWI

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

I knew I saw Shadow before. He and some masked idiot fought AMW a few weeks ago on Xplosion.

And surprise surprise, Team UK sucks. The bigger downer is I never heard of anyone on the team, so I'll probably look down as them being "eh" because of it.

Or Team AAA has managed to suck even though they improved for the last X Cup vs. Canada.

Guest TDinDC1112

I will wait until the matches air. Too many times Meltzer reported that the matches weren't good (I know this is PWI and not Meltzer) and they have been good.

I've heard from a number of TNA sources today that Sting wasn't interested in doing much last night and was "uncooperative." Sting, who was in Nashville all week filming the movie about his life, arrived after the TNA tapings had begun. He lateness showing up prevented him from being able to go over his segment with Mike Tenay, as Tenay was already at ringside calling matches. Once they got to the ring, Tenay was trying to feed Sting questions and Sting was more interested in playing to the crowd to get a pop. It's a shame Tenay, who always does a great job tying segments together, had to deal with such a situation.

I felt that he didnt really care being out there last night during that interview. Seemed very lame in that he just wanted to kiss ass on this (and by that, I mean he didnt mean what he said), that and another thing. Certainly a pointless segment by ppv standards for sure.

A friend of mine watching last night brought up the argument that at least Sting never went to WWE, and isnt just a WWE reject, etc. While that may be true, its clear that Sting doesnt think of TNA as a legitimate company by the way he pops in and out, tries to get Luger a job there, and generally doesnt take his appearances seriously. Sad that it seems that the only reason he's around lately is because of this movie thing too.

If I was TNA I would honestly somewhat second guess their role with Sting in the future. He's only been in for matches against Jarrett in some capacity one way or another, which serves no purpose to me. If he was to put some of the talent over, I might be more for him even stopping in on occasion, but it just seems like a waste of $$$$ to have him in on HIS terms.

Yes, he's a big name and yes, if he was in the company every week, I think he could be a strong influence on an upswing in public perception of TNA, not to mention interest. But these appearances here and there offer nothing long term. All he is going to be is a ref next week, unless they maybe add a Sting v. Jarrett match to the X Cup ppv. Nothing significant.

I would love to see him in full time for sure though.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Let's all hang Sting for being "eh" for one appearence! Boo him and his family may they rot in hell! [/dumbass mode]

Seriously, he seemed pretty professional in all his matches for TNA, (except for being dragged down by the Luger match. ugh) so really maybe being bothered with filming the movie all week took it's toll on him.

While we're at it let's convict Johnny Swinger for not showing up because his daughter was born and Konnan for having his plane delayed.