TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
5_moves_of_doom

So I Just Saw the Breeders In Concert...

I'm a gigantic Breeders fan, but even considering that, I must say that I was expecting Kim and Kelley to be a bit on the old side when I first showed up in LA to see them in concert tonight. But age has obviously not affected them, because though the rumored Pixies appearance never happened (Joey Santiago WAS there however,) they rocked the fucking roof off the place. The venue was a bar-esque environment and was utterly packed with die-hard Breeders fans, and the band definitely did not dissapoint. They played everything one would want to hear from them (even some songs from Kim's band the Amps,) and Kim's voice, after all these years, was STILL in top condition. It was utterly amazing how Kim/Kelley were basically seeming like extensions of the same person throughout the entire show, and they looked like they were legitimately having fun the entire time, and were very friendly with the audience. After the show, I waited for the sisters Deal to come down and sign some CD's I had brought, but after talking to one of the roadies, I actually got backstage. Kim/Kelley were VERY friendly and they both signed my copy of Pod... and Kim signed my copy of Surfer Rosa as well. I also had a twenty-something minute conversation with Kim, who was just as cool as she seems. We discussed all of her old Breeders albums and the upcoming Pixies reunion, and she was very open when it came to answering all of my questions. Plus, at the end of it all, she kissed me on the cheek, which was neat since I've had a huge crush on her since the seventh grade. Hehe. Anyhow, I've been wanting to see Kim in concert for a long, LONG time (in Breeders form, though I'm seeing the Pixies at Coachella and that should be even better,) and now that I finally have, I just had to tell someone how incredibly awesome it was. Anyhow, any opinions on the Breeders or Pixies or what have you would be welcome as responses to this post, but otherwise, I just needed to vent on how much this band totally met and surpassed my expectations, and just how damn cool Kim Deal is.

So I wasn't jealous when you told me you were going to see them, but now I sort of am. Fuck you, small man!

How big a crowd? If they were so cozy-friendly, I imagine it must have been just a few hundred people.

So I wasn't jealous when you told me you were going to see them, but now I sort of am. Fuck you, small man!

How big a crowd? If they were so cozy-friendly, I imagine it must have been just a few hundred people.

Indeed. The set was a very, very intimate one, and I was right up front. In fact, I requested the Amps song "Pacer," and they played it on the spot. I must say that though I haven't been to too many concerts, I can't imagine someone being much friendlier with the crowd than the Deal sisters. There were just some very good vibes going all around, between the band and the audience.