TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Angels give extension to Garret Anderson

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1781319

ANAHEIM -- Garret Anderson, the Angels' all-time hits leader, has agreed to terms on a four-year, $48 million contract extension through 2008. The deal includes a club option for the 2009 season with a $3 million buyout.

Anderson

Including Anderson, the Angels have eight players signed through the 2005 season and six players inked through 2006.

Anderson, 31, has 1,628 hits over the last nine seasons, the most in the majors in that stretch. Anderson has driven in 479 runs over his last four full seasons, and is off to a strong start (.387) this season.

"We stated before that signing Garret to a contract extension was a priority," general manager Bill Stoneman said.

The two-time All-Star is the only major leaguer to play in at least 150 games and post 600 at-bats in each of the last seven seasons.

Anderson has committed only four errors in his last 454 games in outfield. He was the Angels' fourth-round draft pick in 1990.

Anderson's good, but he turns 32 this year. He's got a .328 OBP, entering the decline phase of his career. And the Angels give him $12 Million. I think they really would've been better off shoring up their infield next offseason with that money. Its good to see them spending, but now they've got their entire outfield, plus Tim Salmon, locked up for the next three seasons. Anderson could be a big albatross by the end of this deal.

Guest webmasterofwrestlegame

Maybe, but he sure has started the season well.

I don't like the deal either, Al. I think Anderson is one of those players who's more productive than his meager OBP would indicate, but still. Paying $12 million a year for four years, for a guy who's already 32? That sounds like a bad deal to me. I guess it's nice for them that their entire outfield is signed long-term now, but as much as I think Anderson is very good player, I still think this was a bad deal.