TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dandy

Names of Old Shows on HBO....

When I was really young in the early to mid 80's, there was a show on HBO that I seem to recall Bill Maher was a feature character. The show was funny to me at the time, but I usually sneaked to watch it because they had nudity every now and then. I thought of it as more adult than Benny Hill.

Much later on HBO (mid 90's) was a hilarious show that had spoofs of other shows, sketch comedy, and yes, more nudity. It was kind of like SNL or MadTV, but they could go a lot racier since it was on HBO late at night. One spoof was "This Old Whore House," complete with Bob Villa and Norm look-a-likes planning on fixing up a whore house while Johns got serviced. A parody commercial for Spamby (based on the Slinky commercials) was also a favorite of mine.

Does anyone know the names of these shows so I can look for info on them?

Guest OctoberBlood

Not totally sure, but after a quick look on IMDB, the show with Maher might've been called "Sara".

Thanks guys, I'll check into those names and see if they were the shows I was talking about. I appreciate the help.

Guest netslob

the only old HBO comedy show i remember was called "Not Necessarily the News" but i think that was on in the late '80's. don't know if that helps.

Yes, HardcoreTV was the right name for the late 90's show. Perhaps Bill Maher wasn't actually on the other show or it was on Showtime or something, because I can't find anything about it.