TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steviekick

The Return of Hal Jordon as Green Lantern

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

The same fanbase that read Kyle, read Hal's old stuff as well, I think this story CAN pick up new readers if they keep Geoff Johns on the title.

If Hal DOES fail (a big "if", IMO) I think they would bring John back to the title before Kyle.

John Stewart can't carry a book because no one wants to read a monthly series about a boring guy with a huge chip on his shoulder.

Guest BDC

I never read GL as a book until Kyle. Why? Because Jordan wasn't interesting. You put Kyle there, an artist that comes up with crazy construcs and has real emotional problems and I'm hooked. His want to avenge his first girlfriend? Yeah. His outbursts when Hal was brought up in Emerald Knights (read it, it'll make sense), even his leaving after Terry got hurt make sense because while he's got the best ring ever, he's got emotions and they affect him.

Screw Hal Jordan, I don't want to see his boring, stoic crap back with a ring EVER again.

Guest JMA
Screw Hal Jordan, I don't want to see his boring, stoic crap back with a ring EVER again.

If you don't like Hal then why read a GL book in the first place? He's a an integral part of the entire GL mythos. If you hate him you might as well hate the whole concept of Green Lantern.

Guest JMA
If Hal DOES fail (a big "if", IMO) I think they would bring John back to the title before Kyle.

John Stewart can't carry a book because no one wants to read a monthly series about a boring guy with a huge chip on his shoulder.

Kyle's not doing too well in sales either. That's PART of the reason his book is being cancelled. And I disagree with your take on Stewart. Almost any character can do well if they have a good writer.

Edit: It should be noted, however, that sales do not necessarily indicate quality. Indeed, many times a well written book will not sale well do to any number of reasons.

Guest BDC

If you don't like Hal then why read a GL book in the first place? He's a an integral part of the entire GL mythos. If you hate him you might as well hate the whole concept of Green Lantern.

He might very well be, but KYLE is the interesting one.

Guest JMA

He hasn't been written that way lately, has he? And I suspect I could find just as many (if not more) fans who find Hal more interesting than Kyle. As I've said before, I have no problems with Kyle, I just prefer HAL.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

He hasn't been written that way lately, has he? And I suspect I could find just as many (if not more) fans who find Hal more interesting than Kyle. As I've said before, I have no problems with Kyle, I just prefer HAL.

Hal is the flagship, the best GL comics ever featured him. Kyle and John are just B-Team.

Guest JMA
Hal is the flagship, the best GL comics ever featured him. Kyle and John are just B-Team.

I agree that Hal is the flagship of the title, but I wouldn't exactly call Kyle and John "the B team." I think what hurts Kyle most is that his origins are directly tied to "Emerald Twillight." I don't think I would've minded Hal dying as much if the PTB didn't destroy his legacy along with his life.

Guest SP-1

Kyle's book is being cancelled? I've seen nothing to support that. Nobody knows how Hal's return is going to effect the GL titles just yet. Tons of speculation, but all we know is that he is coming back later this year. For all we know, Hal may get his own book, Kyle may remain in the flagship GL role, and Stewart may remain the JLA's attached Lantern.

Hal's coming back.

I've seen nothing to support a Kyle cancellation, death, disappearance, or any other kind of business/comics industry punishment for low sales or anything. If there's been a news story on it that I haven't seen, I'd like to see it. It's definitely something I'd like to know.

It's unconfirmed, but one of the big rumors that people were talking about this past weekend at Wizard World was that the GL series was getting relaunched with Hal as the focus.

I wanted to ask someone at DC about it, but there was no one there attatched to the project.

Guest SP-1

While I don't put it past DC to completely relaunch the title, I think it would be a bad move. Doing that would alienate the Kyle fans just like the Hal fans were alienated. The GL concept is rooted in the concept of a Corps, an army of GL's. I think DC would be smart to play on that and allow all three of them (4 if Guy were to pop back up) to remain active in the DCU.

Considering it's been rumored that DC wants to make GL the 3rd big franchise (behind Supes and Bats), I don't see why multiple books would be out of the question. There are tons of Supes and Bats titles out there. Three GL books might be a good thing.

GL got flushed in the toilet when Kyle exiled himself into space. At least that's when I lost interest.

Hal's return might cause an intial bump in sales, but once the nostalgia wears off, sales will be back to pre-Kyle levels.