TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

The 2004 MLB Amateur Draft

Figures the Reds and Brewers roll the dice with high school pitchers.

Scott Boras continues to turn the draft into an auction, which is troubling. Jared Weaver falls to the Angels, and some think he could be MLB ready by late this year, although unlikely.

Interesting to see Paul DePodesta take a high school pitcher with the Dodgers first pick. The Moneyball philosophy is indeed flexible.

Really liking the A's draft so far, esp. the picks of Powell, Putnam, Street, Rogers and Suzuki. Also love Boston's pick of Pedroia too, 25 extra base hits out of 69 total and 33 BB's vs 10 K's.

I'm looking forward to seeing who takes Brad Canada(Bradley University).

All I have to say is CATCHER~!

Lieby is going to start getting on his last legs in the next two years probably, and (al correct me if I am wrong) I don't think there is anything resembling a catching prospect in the system.

Lieby is going to start getting on his last legs in the next two years probably, and (al correct me if I am wrong) I don't think there is anything resembling a catching prospect in the system.

There's barely anything representing a catcher in the system, let alone one with prospects.

Great commercial for Oakland A's merchandise aired, featuring Chad Bradford calling Ken Macha from the bullpen.

"Bradford, for the last time, I call you, not the other way around!"

Name: Wade Townsend

Height/Weight: 6-3 / 230

Bats/Throws: R / R

Date of Birth: 2/22/83

School: Rice

#6 college prospect according to Baseball America, #8 prospect overall. #6 college prospect according to TeamOneBaseball. #2 prospect in the Cape Cod League and a first-team preseason All-American according to BA. #1 prospect on the Cape according to scouts. Strong-bodied pitcher with wide shoulders & hips. Comfortably throws in the low to mid-90s, and maintains his velocity well throughout a game. Also throws a big breaking knuckle curveball and a decent changeup. Has been used as a closer at Rice, where he excelled with his impressive 1-2 power punch. His true value is in the starting rotation. With all pitchers the size of Townsend you are always going to hear about how he needs to keep his conditioning in check. Has had some reported character issues, but those may lead to an incredible competetive nature that just needs to be expressed in a more positive fashion. His body & stuff may draw comparison to pitchers such as Curt Schilling, Roger Clemens & Sidney Ponson.

Does that mean he's going to gain 50 lbs and pitch like crap after signing, cause if thats so they can just not sign him, as we already have that player.

And supposedly he could pitch here (Delmarva Shorebirds A Ball) sometime this year.

I am really surprised Mike Arbuckle has taken two college pitchers before grabbing a HS one.

Of course looking at their fifth round pick's 2004 stat line just made me throw up in my mouth.

Andy Baldwin OSU

65.1 IP 27 BB 46 K 20 XBH 8 HRs .319 BAA 7 HBP 3 WP

:(

So far 6 of 8 players selected by the Twins have been pitchers.

The first player taken by the Twins SS- Treavor Plouffe is listed has the 3rd best hitting prospect by Baseball America. Something tells me the Twins won't be able to sign him, and he'll end up at USC.

I am a little dissapointed the Reds drafted a high school pitcher, as they always seem to not turn out or get hurt for the reds. With that said Baseball America rated Bailey as the high school pitcher with the best fastball, breaking ball and command, as well as saying he was the closest to the major leagues out of all of the high school pitchers.

As the Phils take their 5th college player in 7 picks I am still shocked Arbuckle hasn't taken a HS pitcher. Either they are really bad this year, he has changed his ways a bit, or someone took the ball away from him.

I'm liking the A's draft more and more. Michael Rogers ranked 6th in x(I'm assuming Extrapolated?)Runs Saved Above Aerage(with 100 being average) ahead of guys like Wade Townsend, J.P. Howell and David Purcey and Jason Windsor was ranked 2nd behind only Jered Weaver and these rankings were out of the Top 100 Division I NCAA pitchers.

Here's the Link

I like this draft as they fucking mow through these picks.

Each team has 30 seconds to make a pick. Its easy as they have them planned in advance, and there's no trading picks as there is in the NBA and NFL. Good thing, because otherwise the draft would last months.

Glad to see the Phillies taking college pitchers. The payoff for college players in general is 2-4x that of high school players. For every Josh Beckett, there are dozens of Brien Taylors.

I like the Sox selection of Clay Meredith in the 6th round. MR who could turn into a SP similar to Jon Papelbon from last year's draft. 2004 stats, 2.55 ERA in 67 IP with 12 BB and 84 K's. 2003 he had a 1.19 ERA in 60.1 IP with 16 BB and 70 K's.

A great line from another board.....

Has there ever been a draft - in any sport - where a team's GM and scouting people stood up afterward and wailed, "Oh noooo! We're totally fucked! We drafted mugs, pugs, lugs and thugs, dimwits and half-wits! Fans, our farm system looks like something out of The Grapes of Wrath! And it's... all... our... fault!"

If that's happened, I'd love to hear about it.

Phillies 27th round pick Jason Appel's write up

COMMENT: WIRY, THIN, ATHLETIC BUILD TOP TO BOTTOM. SMALL-MEDIUM FRAME. MEDIUM, SLOPED SHOULDERS. LONG ARMS & LEGS. SIMILAR TO EX-MAJOR LEAGUER JASON TYNER. ESPECIALLY WIDE, WEIGHT BACK STANCE. ON TOP OF PLATE, LOOKS TO PULL. GAME REVOLVES AROUND SPEED. ABOVE AVG RUN ABILITY, 3.6 ON BUNT. EASY OUTF ACTIONS, ABLE TO RUN DOWN MOST. AGGRESSIVE. LIKES TO BUNT. POTENTIAL TO BE ON BASE THREAT IF USES SPEED.

To steal a line from The Sports Guy:

"In other words...pass."

Well, I wrote down the 2004 stats of 71 guys for Excel and so far 14 have been drafted. I'm surprised guys like Jed Lowrie, Tom Caple and Eric McNamee haven't been drafted yet.

Everybody knows that Oakland, Toronto and Boston are "moneyball" teams but did anybody else find it interesting that St. Louis had a Moneyball type draft? 40 college players taken, 4 high schoolers and 3 junior college players. San Francisco also had a bit ofa Moneyball approach with 34 college players selected, 10 high schoolers and 5 junior college players. For comparison: Boston was 31/13/5, Oakland was 35/5/4(1st team to stop making picks), Toronto was 35/5/12 and Los Angeles was 16/22/14. Arizona was also targeting college players, taking 30.