TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

ESPN's 25 greatest single season teams...

Guest Anglesault
The 1998 Yankees aren't even the best team in the history of the Yankees. I'm sure alkeiper will back me up on that one. Both the McCarthy & Stengel eras were better, as well the 1927 team and I would probably even argue the 1961 team.

How about the 1927 Yankees? I think they have a shot at being number 1 or the 1961 Yankees they where unbelievable.

In my opinion, the 1936-39 Yankees are easily the best Yankees team ever, and the best baseball franchise ever. First off, they were one of only two teams to win four consecutive World Championships. Not only did they win four World Series, but they completely dominated the regular season. They led the league in runs scored AND runs allowed for four consecutive years. No other team has ever come close. The closest any team came to beating them were the Red Sox, who finished only 9.5 games back in 1938.

Great teams need great players. The Yanks featured Hall of Famers Joe Dimaggio, Lou Gehrig, Bill Dickey, Tony Lazzeri, Lefty Gomez, Red Ruffing. Joe Gordon is HOF caliber. George Selkirk, Tommy Henrich, and Red Rolfe were quality regulars as well.

For whatever reason, those teams are largely ignored when evaluating Great Yankees teams, behind 27, 61, 98 and of all things, The Bronx Zoo years.

The only thing I can figure is that, while guys like Joe D and Lou Gehrig, were, well, Joe Dimaggio and Lou Gehrig, they, of all the Yankees greats, probably had the least "personality"

When put up against the larger than life personas of a Ruth or Mantle or Jackson, they kind of fall to the back.

Edit: BTW, al, I'm sure you'd be interested in knowing that Red Ruffing will be honored with a plaque at Old Timers Day.

Edited by Anglesault

I also account for the fact that the Mets won 90+ games in five consecutive years. The Tigers were a one-year wonder.

I was talking about single season team, I know the Mets were very good for a five year span but I still take the 84 Tigers over the 86 Mets

I was talking about single season team, I know the Mets were very good for a five year span but I still take the 84 Tigers over the 86 Mets

My point is often misunderstood. Basically, it boils down to this. If they are a great team, they should be able to continue winning for more than one season. If not, they are generally a fluke team. That is not to say the Tigers were a fluke. They were very good.

Edit: BTW, al, I'm sure you'd be interested in knowing that Red Ruffing will be honored with a plaque at Old Timers Day.

I'm surprised he didn't have one already. Ruffing is often overlooked because his stats are distorted by the big hitters' era he played in. But he's in the Hall of Fame, he won six rings with the Yankees, and posted an amazing 82-33 record in the Yankees' four year championship run. In addition, he was one of the greatest hitting pitchers of all time.

Guest Anglesault

I'm surprised he didn't have one already. Ruffing is often overlooked because his stats are distorted by the big hitters' era he played in. But he's in the Hall of Fame, he won six rings with the Yankees, and posted an amazing 82-33 record in the Yankees' four year championship run. In addition, he was one of the greatest hitting pitchers of all time.

I think they kind of like to keep a couple guys out just in case they want to use them as a draw to a game.

Guest Anglesault
I think they kind of like to keep a couple guys out just in case they want to use them as a draw to a game.

Makes sense. I'm still holding out for Jack Chesbro night.

We don't speak that name here. ;)

Out of curiosity, what were the top 5 teams? I was watching late last night but went to bed after they got to #6.