TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest OraleHolmes

Dallas-Lakers trade imminent

Guest Vitamin X
But Kobe isn't crap without Shaq.

He's better without worrying about getting him the ball.

Listen, Shaq's dominant days are over. The Lakers should take Disco Dirk, Nash, and whoever else they can get for him now. He just isn't worth it.

despite shaq being the only guy who could consistently score at will on the best team defense in the league, while kobe was shooting something like 4 for 20?

That point is irrelevant because Detroit's defensive strategy was to double- and triple up on Kobe and the rest of the team and let Shaq get his shots.

Look, Shaq wasn't even that great besides the rookie hype season and the 3 championship years. He was shit until Phil Jackson came along, which is why he's demanding a trade now while he still has a chance to look good seeing as how he put up "all those points" against Detroit in the Finals.

None of this matters anyways, I don't know who the Lakers will get in a coach that will make this team produce, regardless of who they get for O'Neal, and there are two huge obstacles in the way for the next season in the west in San Antonio and especially Minnesota (if they stay healthy). Sac's window of opportunity is closing, and I'm not talking about Houston yet because they need to complete the trade for T-Mac first, and then maybe we'll see what happens.

I think this also depends a lot on what the Lakers do with the PG position when it comes to next season, do they stick with Payton, or take a gamble and let Fisher start?

The Los Angeles Lakers have taken the position that they will not trade Shaquille O'Neal to the rival Dallas Mavericks unless they receive Dirk Nowitzki as part of the exchange, team sources told ESPN.com on Tuesday.

Mavericks sources, meanwhile, maintain that Nowitzki is likely off-limits, though Mavericks owner Mark Cuban isn't ruling out trading Nowitzki as an option. Even if the Mavericks could convince the Lakers to accept a package that leads with point guard Steve Nash, instead of Nowitzki, Nash would have to agree to join L.A. in a sign-and-trade because he's a free agent as of July 1.

By Marc Stein

ESPN.com

It doesnt look like the Mavs want to deal Dirk according to this article. Mark Cuban was quoted saying "Never say never" though.

Heat check for Western Conference rivals

They may not be a top 3 team next season, but they will be much better then they were last season.

Whenever a team has two players that demand double teams practically every game, they’re going to be very good.

Guest OraleHolmes

Well, with the news that Jamison has been traded to the Wizards for the fifth pick in the draft, a Nash, Walker, Howard, 5th pick package is now being peddled to the Lakers.

Well, with the news that Jamison has been traded to the Wizards for the fifth pick in the draft, a Nash, Walker, Howard, 5th pick package is now being peddled to the Lakers.

Shaq and Dirk would work well but Dallas would still need a new system and a new point guard.

Shaq and Dirk would work well but Dallas would still need a new system and a new point guard.

Marquis Daniels or .......DEREK FISHER! Mavs can get Fish for the MLE. And doesn't Nash have to agree to sign with the Lakers? I don't think he wants that with Payton there. If he does the Mavs got this as their starting line up:

PG: Marquis Daniels/Derek Fisher?

SG: Michael Finley

SF: Jerry Stackhouse

PF: Dirk Nowitzki

C: Shaquille O'Neal

Not bad.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

The Lakers better DEMAND Dirk in a deal for Shaq. They'd be crazy not to.

Guest OraleHolmes

Ok, here is the supposed FINAL proposal -- according to ESPN, Fox Sports, and all major media outlets -- by Dallas in exchange for Shaq:

Dallas trades: Steve Nash, Antoine Walker, Jerry Stackhouse, Josh Howard, #5 pick in the draft

Lakers trade: Shaquille O'Neal

Hmmm... that would give the Lakers a starting lineup of:

Kobe

Nash

Stackhouse

Walker

Center ???

Does this sound like a fair deal? I still believe the Lakers shouldn't relent on Dirk Nowitzki. We'll see...

Guest El Satanico

That's too much for Shaq

The 4 guys they are trading for him could likely get them 3 high draft picks. Take off Nash and Howard and it would be fine.

I'm sure Kobe, Payton, Stackhouse and Walker will all peacefully coexist. :lol:

I don't get why the Mavs are so damn anxious to trade Nash instead of Dirk. If they're trying to win now with O'Neal as their centerpiece, then Nash should be the one player they want to keep. He and Shaq will both be good for about the same period of time, and his specialty will be what the Laker's lacked. The ability to get Shaq the ball. I think Nash is the best all-around point guard in the league right now, and he and Shaq were basically made for each other. Meanwhille, Dirk and Finley are much like Kobe in that they have to get their shots to get in rhythym or they're just not that good.

Nash, Finley, Stackhouse, and an ever improving Daniels around a newly motivated Shaq would certainly put the Mavs in the running for a ring, if not make them the favorite. And I don't want to hear this shit about how Shaq is why the Lakers lost when he was 11-15 and Kobe was 4-20. Maybe, the reason the Pistons double teamed Kobe instead of Shaq is that they new Kobe was too fucking stupid and selfish to pass the ball.

Guest Salacious Crumb
Ok, here is the supposed FINAL proposal -- according to ESPN, Fox Sports, and all major media outlets -- by Dallas in exchange for Shaq:

Dallas trades: Steve Nash, Antoine Walker, Jerry Stackhouse, Josh Howard, #5 pick in the draft

Lakers trade: Shaquille O'Neal

Hmmm... that would give the Lakers a starting lineup of:

Kobe

Nash

Stackhouse

Walker

Center ???

Does this sound like a fair deal? I still believe the Lakers shouldn't relent on Dirk Nowitzki. We'll see...

Could you actually link to something about this please. I can't find anything on ESPN.com that even matches up with what your saying so I'm going to have to assume that you're totally pulling this out of your ass like several of the other rumors you've posted.

L.A. wants Dirk, Dallas doesn't want to give him up. NY is said to have some interest in Stackhouse.

NY is said to have some interest in Stackhouse.

Why do they need another overpaid shooting guard, Houston isn't enough?

If Nash is traded for Shaq I could definitely see Derek Fisher getting signed by the Mavs. I think he would be a great fit with shaq or in Houston.

Guest Salacious Crumb

New York teams have always had a love for overpriced talent.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

ok, first off Orale is obviously just making shit up because he's a dope, and second this trade is not as bad as it looks.

C: Shaq

PF: Dirk

SF: Finley

SG: Daniels

PG: Fuck, with all the money they saved getting rid of the Antwans they can just build a point guard.

I think I could scrape by with that lineup.

Guest OraleHolmes

There's a new proposal by the Mavs, in addition to the Nash-Walker-Stackhouse-Howard-5th pick PACKAGE:

"An NBA executive said late Wednesday that the Mavericks now would approach the Lakers with a new offer of Dirk Nowitzki, Josh Howard and the No. 5 pick in exchange for O'Neal.

To make the deal work, Dallas would have to find a way to add another $8 million or so in salary owed to a player or players as a way of balancing the NBA-high $27.7 million O'Neal is set to make next season.

Owner Mark Cuban had told the Dallas Morning News on Wednesday that Nowitzki would not be included in an O'Neal trade. But the executive speaking late Wednesday said the Mavericks' new offer would include the sixth-year All-Star forward.

Dallas still would be able to pair O'Neal in a lineup with Antoine Walker, Michael Finley and Steve Nash should it trade away Nowitzki.

Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak declined to address O'Neal's situation in detail during a Wednesday conference call with reporters, which ended only a few minutes before the trade was announced. "

Source: Daily News

In your guys' opinion, which package suits the Lakers better?

Guest OraleHolmes

On Houston Sports Radio 610, Cuttino Mobley's agent is saying that Kobe and Rudy T are pulling for a Shaq-Francis, Mobley, Cato trade. This would appease T-MAC, Francis, and allow Shaq to go back home to Orlando.

Take this for what it's worth...

There's a new proposal by the Mavs, in addition to the Nash-Walker-Stackhouse-Howard-5th pick PACKAGE:

"An NBA executive said late Wednesday that the Mavericks now would approach the Lakers with a new offer of Dirk Nowitzki, Josh Howard and the No. 5 pick in exchange for O'Neal.

To make the deal work, Dallas would have to find a way to add another $8 million or so in salary owed to a player or players as a way of balancing the NBA-high $27.7 million O'Neal is set to make next season.

Owner Mark Cuban had told the Dallas Morning News on Wednesday that Nowitzki would not be included in an O'Neal trade. But the executive speaking late Wednesday said the Mavericks' new offer would include the sixth-year All-Star forward.

Dallas still would be able to pair O'Neal in a lineup with Antoine Walker, Michael Finley and Steve Nash should it trade away Nowitzki.

Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak declined to address O'Neal's situation in detail during a Wednesday conference call with reporters, which ended only a few minutes before the trade was announced. "

Source: Daily News

In your guys' opinion, which package suits the Lakers better?

As a Mavs fan, I like this second trade a lot better. Nash is the key to making Shaq successful in Dallas, and Howard and the draft pick are both expendable. Without jinxing anyone, I'd say that if the trade goes through, the Mavs will have a very good chance to get multiple rings.

Where does the remaining eight million come from?

Nowitzki, Stackhouse and the pick is feasible (maybe Howard, too), but the depth of the Mavericks is thinned out IMMEDIATELY.

C: O'Neal / Bradley

PF: Walker / Laettner

SF: Daniels / Najera

SG: Finley(?) / Delk / Abdul-Wahad

PG: Nash / T. Best

The [Nowitzki/Stackhouse/pick] deal still leaves Nash and O'Neal under the gameplan of a coach that emphasizes offense over anything even resembling defense. As one of the posters already mentioned, Shaquille will be sucking wind midway into the second quarter due to the fastbreak-style Nash tends to lean towards. Could we get a pool going on when O'Neal will be calling for the head of Don Nelson?

----

EDIT: David Aldridge is hinting at Nash/Nowitzki/Fortson/Daniels/Howard being the combination to reel in O'Neal (ESPN.com story).

Guest Vitamin X

I actually like the Nash trade a lot better. I'd love a backcourt of Payton and Nash and Kobe up front.

The thing I think LA is looking for is having a good center to replace Shaq which is why they want to swap for Nowitzki.

?

----

EDIT: David Aldridge is hinting at Nash/Nowitzki/Fortson/Daniels/Howard being the combination to reel in O'Neal (ESPN.com story).

Thats too much to be giving up for Shaq.

Screw this, the Mavs can't do this deal with the Lakers. The Lakers just want to APPEAR like they are trading Shaq to Dallas by tossing out the most insane combination on the planet.

They basically want the Dallas starting line-up minus the human headache Walker. It's not worth it and if Dallas does the deal, they would kill themselves cause Shaq will take half the damn season off. The Mavs would have NO ONE to carry the team while Shaq is nursing whatever injury he thinks up so he can film a Nestle commercial.

If the Mavs can't keep Dirk then the deal should be dead and buried. I'd be willing to lose Nash to get rid of Walker. But to KEEP WALKER?? WITH SHAQ?!?! They would have to be high as a kite to accept the deal.

The thing I think LA is looking for is having a good center to replace Shaq which is why they want to swap for Nowitzki.

Nowitzki doens't really play center though. He'll guard a big guy in a pinch every now and then, but he's a lot more comfortable playing the 4 or even the 3. Usually, when he was at the "center" position for the Mavs, it meant they were basically just running up and down the floor with 5 interchangable parts and no set positions. If the Lakers are looking for someone to shut down O'Neal and Duncan, I'm not so sure Dirk is their guy.

As for the Mavs, I think they'll be fine if they trade away Stackhouse, Howard, Nowitzki, and Deng (the likely pick). Nash, Finley and O'Neal are all gonna play 30-35 minutes anyway, and all those backups are capable guys. Shawn Bradley is criminally underrated, and could still start in this league if given the chance. Due to his sheer size, he pulls down rebounds and gets blocks, and will be a much better backup for O'Neal than Horace Grant was. Najera and Laettner are both good enough that they've started recently, and I wouldn't even be surprised to see one of them start over Walker by the end opf the year. Delk and Best are are also very capable for the minutes receive and won't handicap the team in any way while they're on the floor.

Of course, the more likely scenario is that after Dallas ships off their four or five players for O'Neal, they'll ship Antoine Walker somewhere else, probably out East, and get another decent four and a couple bench players instead. Not that I really want to see Kurt Thomas and Shaq battlling throughout the year to see who can possibly shoot a lower FT percentage.

Not that I really want to see Kurt Thomas and Shaq battlling throughout the year to see who can possibly shoot a lower FT percentage.

Kurt Thomas is a 80% + Free Throw shooter.

The 5th pick could be used to draft Pavel Podkolzine. He's 7'5 300 lbs already. He's young and kind of raw, but soooo big. If the Lakers got the pick along with Dirk and keep Kobe, 3 years or so from know if Pavel turn out they can win multiple championships.

Guest Vitamin X

Yeah but that won't help them play against Duncan, O'Neal, and Ming.

Guest OraleHolmes

Ok, now Dallas is offering Nowitzki, Stackhouse, Howard, and the 5th pick for Shaq. If I were the Lakers, I'd pull the trigger on this deal.

This would still give Dallas a starting lineup of:

Nash

Finley

Shaq

Walker or Thomas

Laettner or Daniels

It would give the Lakers a lineup of:

Kobe

Payton

Nowitzki

Malone

Stackhouse

Sorry, Dallas is stupid then.

Lattner is average at best, Walker can barely fit his ego into the locker room and no way can him and Shaq fit in and Finley cannot carry the offense alone when Shaq has one of his "injuries" around mid-season.

No way would I give up Dirk AND the 5th pick.