TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MrRant

"Scotty" diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease

Original Star Trek star James Doohan (Scotty) is suffering from Alzheimer's disease, his wife has revealed.

"With Jimmy it's the loss of words," Wende Doohan told Britain's Sky News. "He is not so sick yet that he doesn't know people...and there are times when he is as sharp as a tack. But it's the older memories that stick."

"What he had for breakfast might be an iffy thing, but golly he could tell you all about how he got the part in Star Trek."

Doohan, 84, who will receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame during ceremonies next month, has also reportedly been ravaged by Parkinson's disease, diabetes, lung fibrosis and pneumonia. Several fan tributes are planned for him over the course of the weekend of August 28-30th in Hollywood.

http://www.trektoday.com/news/010704_04.shtml

The actor who played Scotty in TV's Star Trek has Alzheimer's disease.

James Doohan, 84, also has Parkinson's disease, diabetes, lung fibrosis and suffered a bout of pneumonia.

His Wife Wende,47, said: "With Jimmy it's the loss of words. He is not so sick yet that he doesn't know people.

"And there are times when he is as sharp as a tack. But it's the older memories that stick.

"What he had for breakfast might be an iffy thing, but golly he could tell you all about how he got the part in Star Trek."

Jimmy's character was told on the US Enterprise: "Beam Me Up Scotty."

A tribute to the actor is to take place in Hollywood next month.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30500-13146471,00.html

:(

Well that really sucks. I never knew how much he has been going through since you never see him much anymore.

Why does all the shitty things happen to the good people? Fight this for as long as you can, Scotty. :(

Guest wrestlingbs

Doohan's appearence in "Relic" was one of the best TNG episodes I can remember. I hope he feels better.